THE BROWNS BOARD

Freddie Takes Responsibility for Baker's Performance This Season

Tour2ma

Notes: Freddie Kitchens takes responsibility for Baker Mayfield holding onto ball too long

Scott Petrak - The Chronicle-Telegram .................... Sep 17, 2019 6:16 PM

Baker Mayfield has looked hesitant in the pocket during the first two games. It’s a striking and troubling departure from the decisive, quick-firing, accurate quarterback of a year ago.

Coach Freddie Kitchens was asked if defenses are playing Mayfield differently to take away the quick passes.

“No, I do not think so,” he said Tuesday on a conference call. “I have to do a better job of getting the ball out of Baker’s hands quicker.”

Mayfield was sacked three times and officially hit three more Monday night in the 23-3 win over the Jets. He was sacked five times and hit twice more in the opening loss to the Titans.

“He is taking too many hits. I do not like my quarterback to take hits,” said Kitchens, the play caller. “I need to get the ball out of his hands quicker.”

Full article here ===> https://chroniclet.com/news/168801/notes-freddie-kitchens-takes-responsibility-for-baker-mayfield-holding-onto-ball-too-long/

Makes many of the points we've been bandying about here including Todd Monk(en)s' addition to the staff.

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Full article here ===> https://chroniclet.com/news/168801/notes-freddie-kitchens-takes-responsibility-for-baker-mayfield-holding-onto-ball-too-long/

Makes many of the points we've been bandying about here including Todd Monks' addition to the staff.

Something that has been drawing my ire the last 2 games.

Freddie has completely revamped our playbook and game planning to what made us suck when Haley was calling the plays. It appears to me everything he did last year including listening to what his QB values went out the window. Monkens stamp on this is very apparent. We need to immediately go back to what worked. If what worked was Freddy running a scaled down version of the Haley offense swallow his pride and get back to that.  They have fallen in love with the deep vertical game. Again attributable to Monken and the addition of OBJ. Hopefully they take note of OBJ’s 80+ yard TD coming off a 10 yard slant.  It’s been very frustrating already to see a group of high powered weapons like ours fizzle. Bakers demeanor is way off as well. 

I think our lack of running back depth is really hurting them right now. I feel like they are afraid of running the wheels off Chubb and it has really limited the run game. After Chubb there is nothing in the cupboard until Hunt comes back after suspension.... and that’s hanging your hat on something not happening between then and now with him.... 

I’d really like to see them sign a vet that could help carry the load until then. Lions just cut CJ Anderson, I think I’d be on the phone with him ASAP.

2 minutes ago, hx214 said:

After Chubb there is nothing in the cupboard until Hunt comes back after suspension...

I think #30, Johnson, has done an admirable job backing up Chubb.  And he did/does a good job of picking up blitzers, which is super important.   I don't thing the RB position has been an issue (although it COULD be with an injury).   There really isn't much room to run for the RB's.  But that's the case with a whole lot of teams.  It's just not easy to run in the NFL.

2 hours ago, hx214 said:

I’d really like to see them sign a vet that could help carry the load until then. Lions just cut CJ Anderson, I think I’d be on the phone with him ASAP.

I still think Dorsey might have missed on one? And he watched this large Buck 🦌 of 6'1" 240 run at us in preseason game 4 with Lions..The Lions cut RB Mark Thompson to keep CJ Anderson.and Lions fans were not happy about cutting Thompson either. Hilliard was in C.P. and we passed on Thompson on the waiver wire. I know this because the team that gave him his 1st shot was further down the wire.. the Ravens jumped all over it, getting Thompson back..I see now that Thompson is sitting on Ravens IR..Here's a new one on me? :huh:..The Ravens stashed him on PS as PS reserve/injured..Injury *undisclosed* is this even legal to do????  

One thing we have to remember... last year Freddie treated Baker like the rookie he was. Everything was "What do you like Baker?", "What are you comfortable with Baker?"

He ain't a rookie anymore so with a full camp Freddie plus Todd plus "new toys", e.g. OBJ, just may have loaded him up.

So...

The operative word this week may be "simplify".

• Upvote 3

Mayfield definitely is playing "different" from last season. It could be changes to the offensive scheme since Monken came in, but it looks to me like he has no confidence in the o line. He seems to be lost on some plays, but that could be the Greg Williams defense confusing him. The other thing, and I hope this isn't the case, is that his confidence is shaken after the interceptions. We've seen enough of that with _______( insert any other qb since 1999).

30 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

Mayfield definitely is playing "different" from last season. It could be changes to the offensive scheme since Monken came in, but it looks to me like he has no confidence in the o line. He seems to be lost on some plays, but that could be the Greg Williams defense confusing him. The other thing, and I hope this isn't the case, is that his confidence is shaken after the interceptions. We've seen enough of that with _______( insert any other qb since 1999).

You know what Baker so far reminds me of?

Remember back to when you were in school. You have a test that you really didn't study for, you sweat through it, thinking you've bombed it, then it gets handed back to you Monday morning and you get an A. "Wow, I'm a fuckin' wiz at this!" you think, so you don't really study much for the next test, either. "I half-assed it last week and got an A, so I got this..."  

And the next test comes, and minutes into it you realize that you got lucky once, but reality has hit you smack in the face. You can't just breeze through it without trying hard, you have to keep working at it consistently or it will bite you in the ass. 

Baker to me looks like a guy who did everything this offseason BUT working at getting better at QB, and he knows it. He looks rattled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lodilobo said:

I think it was the pre-snap reads that he was doing and then the quick switches to the "real" defensive alignment that were getting into his head. Williams did a pretty good number on him with the exception of the great one handed catch by OBJ and then the 89 yarder between the defensive backs.

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Baker to me looks like a guy who did everything this offseason BUT working at getting better at QB, and he knows it. He looks rattled. 

Plausible... Fortunately it's not too late to reverse any ill effects.

That said... I did not get the impression that Freddie was taking one for the team... or at least its QB... here. And if this is the case, then we should know Sunday afternoon.