THE BROWNS BOARD

On Others Support of Ukraine...

Tour2ma

I was wondering what the global balance sheet was for assistance to Ukraine. Are we far and away it's greatest financial supporter?

As best I can tell after a little googling... maybe???

Seems we have given ~$3-billion in "aid" with about half that sum being military in the past few years plus another $2-billion in loan guarantees. So roughly $5-billion and counting.

Others have given:

• Japan - $3-billion in "assistance"
  • EU - $16.5-billion, but in "grants and loans"... so not purely "aid"
  • UK - millions in aid
  • Germany - millions in aid

So seems like we've both given more and invested less in Ukraine's future than the rest of the world.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I was wondering what the global balance sheet was for assistance to Ukraine. Are we far and away it's greatest financial supporter?

As best I can tell after a little googling... maybe???

Seems we have given ~$3-billion in "aid" with about half that sum being military in the past few years plus another $2-billion in loan guarantees. So roughly $5-billion and counting.

Others have given:

• Japan - $3-billion in "assistance"
  • EU - $16.5-billion, but in "grants and loans"... so not purely "aid"
  • UK - millions in aid
  • Germany - millions in aid

So seems like we've both given more and invested less in Ukraine's future than the rest of the world.

so it seems that you didn't go into what KIND of aid. Accident, perhaps?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/pillows-and-sheets-vs-tank-busters-the-military-aid-trump-and-obama-sent-to-ukraine

"Frankly, President Obama was sending you pillows and sheets, and I gave you anti-tank busters. And a lot of people didn't want to do that. But I did it," Trump told Zelensky.

The anti-tank busters are Javelin missile systems, which use advanced infrared technology to lock onto targets and destroy them from a distance of 1.6 miles. The Javelin is particularly deadly because it is a "fire and forget" system that allows a soldier to fire a missile and relocate to another position. Unlike other anti-tank weapons, Javelin missiles fire up into the air and strike a target from above, making them more difficult to counter.

Prior to the provision of the Javelins, Ukrainian forces were at a distinct disadvantage facing the tanks fielded by Russian-backed separatist forces in the country's eastern region.

In addition to Javelins, the Trump administration has sent sniper rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, and various other pieces of military equipment.

The United States provides around 90% of Ukraine's military aid and has committed more than $1.5 billion in help to Ukraine since 2014, when Russia invaded eastern Ukraine and annexed Crimea. The key difference in recent years has been lethal aid, which the Obama administration refused to provide — a decision that frustrated both Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill.

"We have an effective form of cooperation, but not with lethal weapons, with the United States, Canada, U.K.,” Ukraine's last president, Petro Poroshenko, told the New York Times in 2015. “We are very satisfied with the current level of cooperation but we would be happy if the level of this cooperation would be increased.”

The Obama administration did send defensive military aid, such as reconnaissance drones, communications equipment, night-vision goggles, body armor, medicine, ambulances, armored and unarmored Humvees. Obama also committed more than $200 million in 2016 to help Ukraine fight corruption and improve its energy security.

Many Democrats in the Obama years opposed the president's refusal to send lethal aid to Ukraine, including New Jersey Sen. Robert Menendez, Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy, and California Rep. Adam Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee who grilled Trump's acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire Thursday on a whistleblower complaint about Trump's telephone call.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't see why tour would go to the trouble of making up facts and figures about which countries send Aid and in what amounts to the Ukraine.

Actually in most cases I don't assume people are making shit up, I suppose it happens.

WSS

but the TYPE of aid was left out. That was my point - Tour doesn't make stuff up.

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't see why tour would go to the trouble of making up facts and figures about which countries send Aid and in what amounts to the Ukraine.

Actually in most cases I don't assume people are making shit up, I suppose it happens.

WSS

Not knowing tour or the sources used it's nice to actually be able to read from the same sources he used(not saying anyone is making things up) but different sources have used different numbers and other facts.  It just a way for everyone to be on the same page. 

Once again no accusing anyone of making things up.

An unnamed Ukrainian official said that Kiev was not made aware that the U.S. suspended security funds until a month after President Trump's call with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky, which calls into question the whistleblower's account and Democrats' arguments that there was a quid pro quo for the aid.

READ THE COMPLAINT

The official told The New York Times that Zelensky's government was unaware about the aid issue until a month after Trump's July 25 phone call in which he discussed Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

The whistleblower complaint – citing U.S. officials – claimed that officials in Kiev knew that the military aid could be in jeopardy in early August, but the whistleblower admitted to not knowing "how or when they learned of it."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ukrainian-official-appears-to-cast-doubt-on-quid-pro-quo-claim