THE BROWNS BOARD

OLine analysis: 49ers game

Ibleedbrown

I’m attempting something Tour used to do, a comprehensive analysis of the OL in the  49ers game. I only got through the first 5 series, which is the first quarter and then some. I made notes. Many notes. There is a key and a half assed grading system. I worked right to left on all plays.

The key is the key: H = Hubbard, K = Kush, T = Tretter, B = Bitonio, R = Robinson. Other players show up with numbers. 86 = Brown,   88 = Harris, 25 = Hilliard, 24 = Chubb, 67 = McCray (yes, he makes a cameo), 80 - Landry, OBJ = himself. 

Grading system

- means l felt the player did ok that play. They did what they were asked to do on the play and were effective

+ means l felt the player did above and beyond just good on the play. Maybe blocked a couple dudes, maybe laid an exceptional block. Maybe made an athletic move to pick up a delayed blitzer. Things like that. 

£ means the player did a poor job at doing what was expected during the play and they were a weight on the team. Get it?

Plays will be noted much like Tour used to. S = series, P = plays. So S1P3 is series one play 3. Notes and side bars are included.

S1P1: OBJ to 80. All Olmen get a -, it was basically 3 rushers against 6 blockers. Baker picked up the 4th rusher the line chose to ignore. That was fun for a moment. Well designed play.

S1P2: OBJ drop. H -, K + for a respectable crash chip and then being in position for a next level block, T -, B + for a nifty motion, kind of pausing and then doing a half pull, R -, 86 -, 88 -

S1P3: False start 86. He puts his butt up and looks right. Is that really a false start?

S1P4: Chubb run. H -, K -, T + started blocking one guy then transitioned to another, walled off his area, B -, R -, 88 -, 86 £ Pharoah fucked up. His man got past him for the tackle.

S1P5: Incomplete to Seals kiss from a Rose. H + for a good sustained block in the vicinity of where Baker was, K - barely, gave up ground, T -, B + for the bail out block assist for..., R £ got pushed back like a bitch into Baker’s grill. Punt...

S2P1: Int. H £ tough assignment to hold a block that long, but he got holdy, K -, T -, B -, R -, 88 £ got beat and pushed back into Baker.

Note: I’m realizing the Browns ask a lot of their TEs in blocking schemes. 

S3P1: Chubb run. 86 + for handling a firecracker of a pass rusher, H - I wavered on a lower grade because l thought he shoulda been the guy best suited to pick up a delayed blitzer instead of Landry, 80 - did his best with a terrible angle, K + for basically corralling 2 rushers at one point, heads up arm bar, T -, B -, R -.

S3P2: Incomplete to OBJ. H - good fight Hubbard-,  K -, T + for awareness. Starts off tag teaming with Kush, checks left, blocks right, B -, R + for a nice chip and power shove that caused dominoes, 88 - roadblocked a couple rushers, 86 -.

S3P3: Baker sack. H - barely, K - l woulda liked to have seen him pick up a delayed blitzer, but he probably thought the ball was already passed, T -, B -, R -, 25 £ blew it. Punt...

S4P1: Chubb run. 86 - nicely done, H £ did a chip and next level move, but looked really shitty on the next level block attempt, K - his dude did make the tackle, but l thought Kush stood tall here, T + did a chip and respectable next level block, B -, R -, OBJ and Landry are the funnest part about this play, both sweeping outta the backfield to clear the right side like mighty twin fullbacks, but Chubb doesn’t follow them? Shame.

S4P2: Chubb run. H £ he whiffed on 2 dudes, K £ got away with holding, + was a man among men this play, sealed off 2 dudes, key block to 1st down run, B + he manhandled some men here too, R -, 88 -, 86 -. 

S4P3: Chubb run. TE (?) -, H -, K -, T - he ducks behind Bito and then picks up Bito’s guy so Bito can go next level, B -, R £ he whiffed on every blocking opportunity this play. Note: it looks like Landry is calling out blocking assignments before this play, but then whiffs on his own block. 80 £

S4P4: Chubb run. 86 -, H -, K -, T -, R -, 88 - stout on Bosa.

S4P5: Baker fumble. H + for fending off one guy and then fending off Kush’s guy, K - he did ok here but found himself sorta trap blocked, T - he got held here, 99 tugging the collar, B -, R £ basically sucked, Bito saved his ass. 

Note: I think l am done with Greg Robinson. I grow weary of his lack of tenacity. I think we literally have TEs who block better than him.

S5P1: Chubb run. H -, K -pulled then next level block, T -, B - tough play, got twisted around with Kush scooting behind him, R -, 86 - did ok on Bosa.

S5P2: Landry reception. 67 - McCray sighting, H -, K £ got beat and tried to arm bar the defender, luckily Chubb there for the bail out block, T -, B -, R £ tried to hockey check Bosa, and it was not effective.

S5P3: 88 - respectable block and release to catch a pass, H -, K -, T -, B -, R -,.

S5P4: H -, K - Kush can lay a lick, did so here and then picked up a guy coming around that guy, T -, B - maybe held a guy, R - seemed to mostly be blocking a guy in the back, 88 - Bosa again, 80 - with a respectable block.

S5P5: Jarvis reception. H - barely, K -, T -, B -, R -.

S5P6: OBJ run. H - well played, ignores the de and turns in, and then turns out after the end around develops to wall off a defender, K -, T -, B -, R - best shove back block l’ve seen from him, 88 + it’s fun watching him on this play, he acts almost like a fullback sweeping behind the line and thinks about blocking 2 guys before he found a third guy to block. 

S5P7: Chubb run. H -, K -, T -, R -, 80 £ was actually a key block in the play and didn’t quite get it, 86 £ kinda got beat too.

Note: Calloway is an awkward blocker.

S5P8: Incompletion. H -, K -, T -, B - barely, gave up a lil ground, R -.

S5P9: Incompletion. H - sustained a decently long block but got bowled over, K -  if you’re gonna get knocked down, take ‘em with you, T -, B -, R -, 88 - good chuck on Bosa. FG...

Notes: our TEs are decent blockers. I also like that the receivers are clearly involved in the blocking scheme. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

From the O-line rankings I saw following the 49’ers game, the Browns graded out at #20 for run blocking, and #26 for pass protection. 

I'll bet the DL graded #32 for run stopping. Jesssssssssss over 10 ypc!

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'll bet the DL graded #32 for run stopping. Jesssssssssss over 10 ypc!

I think we need to give the niners OL some credit as well. 

Their OL ranked #1 in run blocking and #2 in pass protection.

• Upvote 1

Their FB is out for 4-6 weeks, so I'm interested to see how that affects them.  He's the straw that stirs the drink, so I'm assuming they won't be near as good.