THE BROWNS BOARD

A History Book Worth Reading

TexasAg1969

I just starting reading a book I bought this summer in Mystic, "The British Are Coming", the 1st of a trilogy on the American Revolutionary War written by Pulitzer Prize winning historian Rick Atkinson. It is excellent in a similar way to Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy in that it uses first hand accounts throughout from the most insignificant private to the highest generals and politicians. It's very well written and easy to be carried along with the narrative. It puts you right in the front row with 40 British officers (all with sabres) in a great filled meeting hall,  men who have just occupied Boston in 1775 with 8 men of war ships full of troops that are blockading the harbor as they take a lecture from Dr. Joseph Warren, "...the madness of an avaricious minister....has brought upon the stage discord, envy, hatred. and revenge, with civil war close in their rear......Our streets are again filled with armed men. Our harbor is crowded with ships of war. Our liberty must be preserved. It is far dearer than life."  

If that isn't the definition of pure courage, I don't know what is.

cleardot.gif

There has been a mini-series of a few stories about the Revolutionary War. One was about a very brave 16 yr old girl who would walk through town, and gather up gunpowder stolen from British stockpils, and go back and give it to the American soldiers.

Another was about Dr. Warren. Their courage was off the charts. I believe it was Dr. Warren who sent Paul Revere on his famous ride.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

There has been a mini-series of a few stories about the Revolutionary War. One was about a very brave 16 yr old girl who would walk through town, and gather up gunpowder stolen from British stockpils, and go back and give it to the American soldiers.

Another was about Dr. Warren. Their courage was off the charts. I believe it was Dr. Warren who sent Paul Revere on his famous ride.

Americans throughout time have been risk takers, innovators and extremely brave and just plain tough in any situations.  This is part of what made this country a FREE and amazing democracy which was the envy of the world.

I'm not so sure that indomitable spirit is as healthy in this day and age and hope we don't have to find out for real. Are there some absolutely but I just don't know how deep it runs today.

indomitable adj. that cannot be subdued or overcome, as persons, will, or courage; unconquerable: an indomitable warrior.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:45 PM, mjp28 said:

Americans throughout time have been risk takers, innovators and extremely brave and just plain tough in any situations.  This is part of what made this country a FREE and amazing democracy which was the envy of the world.

I'm not so sure that indomitable spirit is as healthy in this day and age and hope we don't have to find out for real. Are there some absolutely but I just don't know how deep it runs today.

indomitable adj. that cannot be subdued or overcome, as persons, will, or courage; unconquerable: an indomitable warrior.

I'm pretty close to Ft. Hood and from time to time get to meet today's volunteers. Plus, like I said elsewhere, my next door neighbor is about to retire from the Army. Quality people with more courage than me. When I came back from Vietnam I got out because I never wanted that experience again. A lot of these guys, including my younger cousin who just retired from the Marines, have had multiple deployments in various war zones. That spirit is still healthy where it counts, lives on the line for this country. I'm not worried at all. We still have a lot of real dedicated Americans. Always proud to shake their hands and thank them for their service to our country one vet to another.

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm pretty close to Ft. Hood and from time to time get to meet today's volunteers. Plus, like I said elsewhere, my next door neighbor is about to retire from the Army. Quality people with more courage than me. When I came back from Vietnam I got out because I never wanted that experience again. A lot of these guys, including my younger cousin who just retired from the Marines, have had multiple deployments in various war zones. That spirit is still healthy where it counts, lives on the line for this country. I'm not worried at all. We still have a lot of real dedicated Americans. Always proud to shake their hands and thank them for their service to our country one vet to another.

Oh yes the American service men and women are among the best trained, best equipped, best people you could ever know our country is fortunate to have them.  My dad who was the nicest person you would ever want to meet was a decorated veteran of WWII and Korea.  I also worked with guys in the steel mills in Youngstown including my father-in-law who were WWII, Korea and later Vietnam vets and were tough as nails but decent people with  unquestionable character.

They were largely decendants of a hardy stock of people who settled and/or built this great country.  I'm just not sure being so far removed from that "can do" era how deep those American beliefs and values actually run.  The 6 and 11 pm news sometimes scares the crap out of me when you see what's going on in the USA and the world at large.  I believe sometimes we've tended to grow soft and some people just don't have the core values and principles of days gone by.

Or am I just an old geezer who thinks like that?  Historically ever generation has always thought to some extent that the next generation is going straight to hell.  Like those damn hippies of the 1960s well that's us now we're the old ones.

Still " is this a great country or what!".   GO USA!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Or am I just an old geezer who thinks like that?  Historically ever generation has always thought to some extent that the next generation is going straight to hell.  Like those damn hippies of the 1960s well that's us now we're the old ones.

Still " is this a great country or what!".   GO USA!

Yep, old geezers with the entitlement & liberty given freedom to say, "Get off my lawn you damn kids!" Great country this US of A!!👍🍷😁

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Our friends' kids - so many are joining. It is alive and well.

They LOVE our country, and their courage goes on forever.

• Upvote 1