THE BROWNS BOARD

Why is OBJ making so much $?

Icecube

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh please... I could get a lobotomy and still run circles around you intellectually... 🤣

I doubt it , Homer!

OBJ is a world class receiver, Kitchens isn’t using him effectively.  The offense lacks identity, they should design it around Chubb then use play action which will get OBJ the ball. Right now the offense is just a lot of experimentation (with some good play design occasionally), the problem is if they don’t start winning Freddie won’t have the opportunity to perfect it. 

On 10/25/2019 at 5:49 PM, Icecube said:

He's the 3rd highest paid WR in the NFL....and he's 26th in yards, 37th in receptions and has 1 TD. 

Oh, and he's a constant distraction with his petulant child routine. 

I was trying to be patient, but I'm not so sure this was a wise move by Dorsey. 

The subject heading and post is TRYING to be patient?  Why do I get the feeling you also really want to lead us directly into another Baker bash?    Your favorite ESPN daily talk show host (and Supervisor at work?) must really appreciate all your efforts in here. 

Anyway, it was a GREAT move to sign him.  His position coach that developed him at LSU for super-stardom is the WR Coach for the Browns.  His college teammate/roommate  was also here at the time heavily endorsing this franchise to his buddy.  Think about that.  A well respected veteran in the league )Jarvis Landry) came to Cleveland AND LOVED being here.  We're not really missing Dwayne Bowe and Kenny Brat are we?  

Back to the college position coach being here.  Find me a WR tandem in this league that blocks better on the perimeter despite their combined Pro Bowls from receiving numbers attained. I'll save you the time - there isn't one like it or not.  That's not I-B4-Team that's Team-B4-I.  Drawing double teams to free up others is more Team-B4-I.  He's had some back shoulder drops and and a couple other drops on high passes that I could understand some frustration about.  

I think what's making more nervous here is the maturation unfolding without any complaints about the current situation.  He's done everything that's been asked of him at a high level.   He's drawn double coverage to make life easier on teammates; but I suppose you want us to blame him for Calloway's suspension and Higgins' injury preventing us from capitalizing on it. Or wait - you want us to give Baker a lot of the credit for not threading the needle in double coverage. Gee, we didn't see that one coming... 😄

There's 9 games left that don't include: the 49ers, Rams, Pa-try-its or Seahawks again.  We're getting people back healthy on the perimeter and when/if they start making opponents pay for the attentions given to OBJ - that'll help.  We even get our 1st round TE back for the final 5 games to improve the dynamics even more.  While we're at it, Kareem Hunt catching passes out of the backfield also improves our pass game dynamics out there.

Do you remember how many games this team won in 2016 and 2017?  1 out of 32 games, which conveniently gets forgotten in the ways someone has tutored you to view Baker Mayfield so you can join him in reminding Cleveland how much better Sam Darnold continues to be. The Jets passing game is absolutely slaying it this year... Both OBJ and Baker have put enough on film to show people what's possible if an Offense isn't coordinated by Hee Haw or Jeff Foxworthy punchlines...  We've had 3 different Offensive Coordinators in Baker's first 14 starts, which means we might be giving the worst OC Baker has had the longest tenure of all as the beneficiary.  We also lost the line coach and QB coach after 1 of the most enjoyable seasons we've had in a while.Make sense?  It shouldn't.  While I GET the frustration of losing in here - jumping on 1 inevitable symptom or 2 and pretending it's the entire problem is as wrong as a bird flying head first into a window (unless it's a Ratbird).

19 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Obj is famous for the 1 handed catch....I really cant think of anything else he has done.

If we're just going to hand off/pitch it to him or ask him to throw the ball in lieu of throwing it to him - it's a waste of time.  Is that what the 49ers did with Rice 4-5 years into his career or did they tap the goodies he was born to showcase?

That last play on offense epitomized where this team is going under Freddie and/or Monken.

Meanwhile, it isn't like money well spent on our defensive line. Every week the outside contain gets sizzled, then they adjust and the shortage of LBers on the field showcases the vulnerability of the LBers.  And for the of God, who in this organization thinks #35 is worthy of active roster, let alone starting job.  Anyone remember the quality we used to have at the Safety positions in the 80s and 90s?  Tackling has been a lost art here at the back end while all I kept hearing during training camp was how great this defensive front was making our entire defense.  Was it really that or was it a sign of things to come about how disappointing this offense is being Coordinated by Dumb and Dumber.

I read countless times last year how awful Jamie Collins was and he goes back to NE and playing like their Defensive MVP (with the exception of last night).

There's a lot of players coming off promising football prior to this year that just woke up BAD football players in 2019?  Is that what happened with OBJ or Baker? They're just bad players and they'll never play good football again?  Or, are they just inevitable symptoms of a bigger problem?  Talks shows don't want to bigger picture what's really wrong in Cleveland.  They want it to be either Baker or OBJ so by all means feed the ratings of those hacks like the guy who started this thread always does. 

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

Obj is famous for the 1 handed catch....I really cant think of anything else he has done.

OBJ's spin move on Chris Harris was absolutely freakish sick..Harris's jock was laying on the turf..More the reason, why Freddie/Baker should award the guy as first read on the bomb he had Harris beat on again.. but hey, trust your eyes 👀 

• Upvote 1