THE BROWNS BOARD

***Patriots VS Browns Gameday Thread***

Nero

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

We lost because of the 1st quarter. It's simple as that. Very few teams overcome a 17 point deficit, and we are not ready to comeback from huge point differentials. In Foxborough against New England? Game was already over. 

But today they played, they kept fighting and made some plays. Baker played better (nice audible on the Harris TD), Chubb is the best RB in the league and defense played well. I'm glad Williams and Ward got back on the field, they improve the team. 

Lossing sucks, but I didn't expect a win. After a laughable first quarter (Baker might have overtaken the buttfumble with that shovel INT) we played face to face against the best team in the league. 

It only shows how important turnovers and details (mistakes, penalties) are. 

Freddie needs to improve some decision making or he is not going to have a long career as a HC, though.

Three passes to start the game (3rd on an empty set), two 'how-the-f-do-you-expect-to-win-that-challenge' and Baker throwing a pass with 1 second left for halftime on our field are some of the decisions that enrage me. Because they are 'game IQ' decisions, not playcalls. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tinythinker said:

Don't look!

Lmao! Too late! Listen, you guys know I love my Browns, but holy shit I'm enraged right now. How the HECK does that happen?! On Chubb's first fumble, was that a freaking FOOT that knocked the ball out? Are you effing kidding me? On the second fumble, can we JUST recover ONE fumble this year?! Jesus, get the ball!! OMFG. 

AHHHHHH! 😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Lmao! Too late! Listen, you guys know I love my Browns, but holy shit I'm enraged right now. How the HECK does that happen?! On Chubb's first fumble, was that a freaking FOOT that knocked the ball out? Are you effing kidding me? On the second fumble, can we JUST recover ONE fumble this year?! Jesus, get the ball!! OMFG. 

AHHHHHH! 😂😂😂

How does Joel get beat so bad on a play that he knows is going on right behind him...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hx214 said:

How does Joel get beat so bad on a play that he knows is going on right behind him...

I literally have no idea. Joel had a ROUGH game. And it's like I was saying, our STARS aren't making plays! I obviously know I was hard on Myles Garrett, but my point remains. Stats make plays when you need them and our simply vanish at the worst times. I don't get it. Joel completely blew it, and Baker should NOT have had to worry about that guy. And how the HECK did that ball stick to the DL? 

crap. I just knew I'd lose my five bucks in that bet. But not in a driving rain, the fumbles etc.

adding insult to injury, the refs were jackass corrupt sombeitches.

How the x can you call Landry for OI on that play?

The patriots wr shoves his hand into the Browns defender's facemask, shoves him away and catches the ball...where the x is the pass interference call?

etc etc etc. The Browns can't get to the playoffs with this offensive line. They need a star TE, LOT, ROG and ROT and a star safety in the draft. Where did Seals-Jones go to???  Meanwhile, the Brown's defense is playoff caliber. This offensive line is like throwing five marbles into a wall, and expecting them to all bounce back and land at the same spot. lol. ain't happenin.

Just now, jiggins7919 said:

I literally have no idea. Joel had a ROUGH game. And it's like I was saying, our STARS aren't making plays! I obviously know I was hard on Myles Garrett, but my point remains. Stats make plays when you need them and our simply vanish at the worst times. I don't get it. Joel completely blew it, and Baker should NOT have had to worry about that guy. And how the HECK did that ball stick to the DL? 

I think that Bitonio was having trouble blocking his guy, while trying to help the lt. That's just a guess. I'd go back and rewatch the game, but... but I can always find some farm work to do that would be more fun.....

"sigh"

1st Round: trade down, get a star LOT

2nd Round: a star OG

3rd Round: a big, quick ROT

Not necessarily in that order.

crap. lol

• Like 1

I didn’t think our Oline played that badly.  If you’ve watched the Pats in the first 7 weeks they’ve played well upfront.  We moved the ball really well in comparison to others.  

We weren’t disciplined and we didn’t execute at key moments.  The three turnovers were back breakers.  And there you have it two score game.

Point fingers?  the WRs let us down.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I feel bad for Nick Chubb.  2 fumbles.  One freak foot kick on the ball by his own man....and the dreaded 'guy from behind' making a good round-house onto the ball.

Higgins is in Freddie's dog house.  He came in for Landry when he got dinged, made a nice catch but was flagged for pushing off, and then went back into the dog house.

Mayfield has to take blame for handing the ball to the defensive lineman.  I know he's focusing on tossing it where Landry can get it on the run.....but he HAS to see the guy breaking through right in front of him.  That's like the ONE THING you have to look out for on a play like that, no?

The Browns fought all day and showed that they have a team.........but you cannot give the Patriots 3 turnovers, and commit 13 penalties, and still hope to win.  

Long, slow deep breaths......until calm......and move on to Denver.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Because they are 'game IQ' decisions, not playcalls. 

agree with every bit of your post 👍 just not the right time with 4 pages of drunk'in headhunters on here 

2 hours ago, tinythinker said:

Don't look!

^^simply piss poor play design with worse scheme design..Is that on Baker? I think not..1) Bakes job is to get the ball to a spot on time..Not on sight.. 2) Who in their right mind pulls a new LT while pulling Landry from slot or end at same time? 3) do they get tangled up?, poorly timed? Heck, who can tell with this angle? 4) Joel gets bull dawged cause two defensive trains can jump Joel's outside gap with both our players vacating.. This Defense played it's ass off to win..These kind of offensive schemes added to losing this game..imo, Fred has a real disconnect going on with offensive position coaching & Play Quality Control cord's.. Edit--Fred also has a real issue with the buzz down replay guy in his Booth..in the tavern I told the mystery nerd to JUmP!!  (parachute not needed)   

• Upvote 2

Ironic that one of our best Oline men, Bitonio was manhandled by the Patriots D line and caused the 1st fumble and contributed to Baker's first interception. As I predicted before the game, the better coach won outright even Chubb's second fumble was a reflection of good coaching, the Patriots cornerback didn't give up on the play and tomahawked the ball out.

The problem going forward is that we keep handing teams the game, which is why I doubt we'll win the majority of games in this easier part of the schedule.

16 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

The problem going forward is that we keep handing teams the game, which is why I doubt we'll win the majority of games in this easier part of the schedule.

The problem is, losing begets losing. Doesn't matter who you play, if you're used to losing, that's what you will do. Safe to say we're used to losing, so you'd be a fool to think we'd beat ANYONE besides the Dolphins, and we can VERY easily lose to them. See, we EXPECT to fail. We expect to drop the important pass, to give up the big screen pass, to fumble it away, or whatever. Losing begets losing. 

I just watched the game "highlights" and it looks like I was totally correct. Myles Garrett does jack crap all night long, and then gets his 1 sack when the game is over. I'm telling you, that guy gets more worthless sacks than anyone. As good as he is, he's the king of getting a sack when it doesn't matter. Where was he on the Edelman TD catch when Brady had an hour? How about two weeks ago when Russell Wilson had forever to throw? Nope, Garrett is nowhere to be found. Ever seen Garrett deflect a pass on 3rd down? Me either. Even our stars don't play like stars. Oh, and you saw the vaunted OBJ have yet another drop today. Know who leads the team in drops? You guessed it, OBJ. 

We're undisciplined, we're boring, we're far from explosive, we can't score points, we turn it over and we can't force turnovers. We're not just bad, we're awful. 

7 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Well, the NFL doesn't have all the money in the  world. Imagine if they had to pay for plane tickets and luggage for all 53 members on the team... 45, now that's conceivable. The NFL is not made of money. 

Idjit....they pay for all the members of the roster to fly now.   

Are you being satirical..then use pink.....or are you just that incredibly obtuse?

5 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

The problem is, losing begets losing. Doesn't matter who you play, if you're used to losing, that's what you will do. Safe to say we're used to losing, so you'd be a fool to think we'd beat ANYONE besides the Dolphins, and we can VERY easily lose to them. See, we EXPECT to fail. We expect to drop the important pass, to give up the big screen pass, to fumble it away, or whatever. Losing begets losing. 

I just watched the game "highlights" and it looks like I was totally correct. Myles Garrett does jack crap all night long, and then gets his 1 sack when the game is over. I'm telling you, that guy gets more worthless sacks than anyone. As good as he is, he's the king of getting a sack when it doesn't matter. Where was he on the Edelman TD catch when Brady had an hour? How about two weeks ago when Russell Wilson had forever to throw? Nope, Garrett is nowhere to be found. Ever seen Garrett deflect a pass on 3rd down? Me either. Even our stars don't play like stars. Oh, and you saw the vaunted OBJ have yet another drop today. Know who leads the team in drops? You guessed it, OBJ. 

We're undisciplined, we're boring, we're far from explosive, we can't score points, we turn it over and we can't force turnovers. We're not just bad, we're awful. 

Myles has always been overrated IMO. I've never seen him just dominate a game like actual elite defenders do.

On the plus side.... according to the fanboys, Baker will easily drop 5-6 tds on Miami since it's so easy to do.

Sadly, I think the truth is that teams like Pitt, Miami, Denver, AZ.... they're all circling the Browns as the easy W on their schedules. 

LOL The Browns are pretty much the opposite of Ohio State right now.

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

AHHHHHH! 😂😂😂

You  didn't  expect  the Browns to win, so just stop  complaining. 

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

crap. I just knew I'd lose my five bucks in that bet. But not in a driving rain, the fumbles etc.

It wasn't a  driving  rain  Cal, more like a  continuous  mist. 

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

adding insult to injury, the refs were jackass corrupt sombeitches.

How the x can you call Landry for OI on that play?

The patriots wr shoves his hand into the Browns defender's facemask, shoves him away and catches the ball...where the x is the pass interference call?

etc etc etc. The Browns can't get to the playoffs with this offensive line. They need a star TE, LOT, ROG and ROT and a star safety in the draft. Where did Seals-Jones go to???  Meanwhile, the Brown's defense is playoff caliber. This offensive line is like throwing five marbles into a wall, and expecting them to all bounce back and land at the same spot. lol. ain't happenin.

defense is not playoff caliber.....yet.....we need playmakers other than garrett.....db's that can pick off a pass and return it for a td....lb's that can strip the ball and return fumbles into td's...etc etc...lets just say ala the pats....everyone is blaming the fumbles and boy do we have a dumbass hc for this loss....what i saw was ward dropping a sure int in the endzone that really could have made a difference if he picks that one off.....i don't know where to start with this team, but right now we are one of the worse teams in the nfl....and for all of you thinking that now we have the weak part of our schedule ahead of us.....think twice....

Look, reason I was hardly mad was that the Browns, good coaching or not, were going to have to get some flukes to win yesterday. We were going to need the refs to not get flag happy, which they did.

BB is now 29-0 against QB's 24 years old or younger. As much as I disdain the Patriots, watching them operate is almost hypnotic. All things considered, I thought Baker looked pretty good out there and you see the talent on the squad just begging to get used. Chubb had a truly fluke fumble, and one bad one for sure but looks incredible out there. Unfortunately I just think our coaching is going to hold the potential way down.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

You  didn't  expect  the Browns to win, so just stop  complaining. 

Come on man, I know I didn’t expect them to win, and not many people truly did, but it’s the WAY we lost the game that’s so unsettling.  The awful turnovers on three plays in a row?  Jesus.  The seemingly infinite penalties after our coach says over and over that we don’t practice penalties? 

Yeah, I didn’t expect to win, but I was HOPING for a better performance.  I’m so tired of people laughing at our team, and that’s exactly what is happening again. 

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Browns still good, right hoorta

Just very  unlucky. 

27 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Come on man, I know I didn’t expect them to win, and not many people truly did, but it’s the WAY we lost the game that’s so unsettling.  The awful turnovers on three plays in a row?  Jesus.  The seemingly infinite penalties after our coach says over and over that we don’t practice penalties? 

Yeah, I didn’t expect to win, but I was HOPING for a better performance.  I’m so tired of people laughing at our team, and that’s exactly what is happening again. 

And how  many of  those turnovers were  flukes? OBJ should have  tackled the  guy trying to  strip Chubb. Yeah spotting the Patriots a couple  scores at home = game  over. 

I said that  we had to play a  clean game to win, and we didn't.

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

It wasn't a  driving  rain  Cal, more like a  continuous  mist. 

that excuse works for me so....lol

I think the Browns wanted to win so badly to prove themselves they choked early the game, made mistakes. I think Chubb wanted to carry them to a win, took it all on his shoulders, and fumbled twice. that's all she wrote.

12 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

You watched the game.  You made several comments during the game proving you watched it for example "great now it looks like Landry broke his collarbone" or something to the effect.  Why do you play this thing up every week where you say you aren't watching the game because you can't take any more but you are very clearly watching the game. 

One of the first games I’ve watched in a long time where a team has “won” in the trenches and lost the game.  Penalties turnovers and overall stupidity will do that. It’s our #1 problem.  I don’t think it is mainly tied to personnel which it usually can be tied to players.  

I thought we controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides.  Brady was magnificent but was hurried often or throwing stuff away all game when he wasn’t.  Credit to our D.  I still don’t know why many of you come on here and bash the Oline.  Did Chubb not have enough space?  Did baker have some time on most occasions? 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

One of the first games I’ve watched in a long time where a team has “won” in the trenches and lost the game.  Penalties turnovers and overall stupidity will do that. It’s our #1 problem.  I don’t think it is mainly tied to personnel which it usually can be tied to players.  

I thought we controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides.  Brady was magnificent but was hurried often or throwing stuff away all game when he wasn’t.  Credit to our D.  I still don’t know why many of you come on here and bash the Oline.  Did Chubb not have enough space?  Did baker have some time on most occasions? 

Yeah I don't get the constant oline bashing. Baker has the 2nd highest time to throw in the league and chubb is top 5 in ypg. I'd say they are doing their job just fine. I really hope ward and greedy stay healthy because if that's the defense the browns get the rest of the year that will be plenty good enough to win games if the offense doesn't gift the opposing team 14 points and take at least 3 (if not 7) off the board by fumbling in red zone. Though I don't completely blame chubb. It was just a freak fumble the first time and a great play the second one. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

And how  many of  those turnovers were  flukes? OBJ should have  tackled the  guy trying to  strip Chubb. Yeah spotting the Patriots a couple  scores at home = game  over. 

I said that  we had to play a  clean game to win, and we didn't.

Yep, and you were totally right.  Watching the "highlights" again, it's absolutely staggering to see the amount of "wtf plays" we had, LOL.  And god forbid a fumble bounce to our guy, or we somehow cover it up.  It's crazy...we're simply not making plays.  For instance, Denzel Ward drops that INT in the end zone.  Granted it only would've saved 3 points, but come on man!  Somebody make a play.  Do something special.  We need our stars to SHINE!

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

You watched the game.  You made several comments during the game proving you watched it for example "great now it looks like Landry broke his collarbone" or something to the effect.  Why do you play this thing up every week where you say you aren't watching the game because you can't take any more but you are very clearly watching the game. 

I got to watch a handful of plays from my car on the interstate.  I didn't get to "watch the game". I tried to stream a little bit of the game when I got good enough reception.  

Make no mistake, I WANTED to watch the game even though we all probably knew it wouldn't be a great outcome.  

I’m definitely watching next week, and here’s a plot twist for you:

The Browns are not only going to win, but we’re going to win by 14+.  It’s 6 days away, but the weather appears to be absolutely perfect.  It’ll be clear and cool, and our speed will be on full display.  We’re finally going to have a game where we DON’T beat ourselves, our QB finds multiple deep receivers, and Chubb is going to rush for only 30 yards in the first half, but then destroy them in the 2nd for 100 more.

Want more?  Denzel Ward gets his first pick-6, Garrett gets a strip-sack, and Baker throws for 350 yards with 3 TDs and NO PICKS. 

We've been downright awful, and that's just how it's been.  We've had bad luck, and we haven't made any GOOD luck.  But even though we've played so poorly, I don't think we're REALLY as bad as we've shown.  Not that we're a top 5 team or anything, but I have a feeling that we're going to kick the crap out of someone, and I think it's going to be Sunday.  That' being said, if we continue to have the penalties and turnovers...well...it's going to suck for everyone because the "fire the coach" and all that other crap will start to take over, and the season will be lost.  We've seen it too many times and we all hate it.  Have to win Sunday, and I think we do with flying colors. 

That was the hardest game to watch.  Where I live I do not get to see the Browns play that often so I was intrigued in watching them.  I couldn't say I was excited considering the poor play I seen in the past few weeks.  The Browns performance reminded me of my son's high school football team this season, considering his starting team is comprised of mainly freshmen and sophomore.  Their first 3 games resulted in over 600 yards in penalties levied against my son's team which pretty much handed the game over to the opponents.  In fact, it took my son's team three tries to kick off on the first game because of being off sides.  Those feelings of embarrassment came back when I watched the game on Sunday.  I was absolutely astounded by the fumbles and poor plays and the general lack of hustle particularly with the defensive back field, I saw Williams pull up on tackling someone and just sort of jogged behind the Patriot receiver resulting in the receiver making an additional 10 year...what a shame.  I realize he just came off injury but he was made to look like a fool.  Also the Patriots had NO RESPECT for the Browns defense, what team, goes for it with on 4th and 7 and gets 12 yards.  NO RESPECT.  This team is spiraling into it's old ways where referees will drop a flag out of spite because they have no respect for the Browns.  Like I've always say regarding the Browns "Winners Win and Losers Lose".  This will be another long season with all our wins behind us.  All I can say is wait till next year!!!!!