THE BROWNS BOARD

A couple of guys you might not know

ballpeen

Legarrette Blount 6'2", 240...RB Oregon

Vince Oghobasse, 6'6" 305, DT Duke

Low profile guys who are going to shoot up the boards

Thanks for those videos. I'm really interested to see what David Cutcliffe is able to do at Duke. They only went 4-8 last year, but by way of comparison, Ted Roof's Duke teams won four games his last four seasons--and Cutcliffe is only two games behind Roof's win total in five years. I said when he got hired that he was taking on the worst job in college football, but he's a smart guy and Duke student-athletes are almost uniformly smart guys, so he might prove me wrong. Still, while I would call the ACC the fourth or fifth best conference in the country (depending on how you evaluate the middle teams, the Big Ten is the other candidate), there's still enough talent there to make it tough to rebuild a team into a conference contender, and that's even with a school that is really interested in seeing the football team do well, which Duke clearly doesn't. It kind of sucks that bowl eligibility would be the best a team could realistically hope for, but it seems to work for schools like Duke and Vanderbilt. Besides, their grads end up being our bosses, so I don't think they're too uncomfortable with the trade-off.

Dennis

On another note, how do you last five years and only win six games? I hate it when schools pull the trigger on a firing too quickly, but after you go 2-9, 2-10, and 0-12 in your first three full seasons as a coach, isn't that a sign? Also, Roof took over midway through a season. If he got a full season at the end, how bad did the last guy suck?

Guest Aloysius

A few more names to remember:

Unforunately, I don't have any Arthur Jones highlights, but this condensed version of the Notre Dame game is a good place to start:

He's #97. And the guy whose motor never stops.

Williams is a guy I know well...a good player....and Major Wright...all i can say is thanks for pimping my Gators, I try to avoid doing so as I don't want to seem like a Homer...but I love Major Wright...the guy is a player...there are 3-4 players on that Gator D that are going to stud out in the NFL.

Guest Aloysius
Williams is a guy I know well...a good player....and Major Wright...all i can say is thanks for pimping my Gators, I try to avoid doing so as I don't want to seem like a Homer...but I love Major Wright...the guy is a player...there are 3-4 players on that Gator D that are going to stud out in the NFL.

And that's a conservative estimate.

I like Spikes a lot: he's tough & instinctive and offers some inside/outside versatility in a 3-4. But I'm not sure that he's a Mangini guy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Here's an underclassman to watch out for:

(Worilds is #6, lines up at LE)

Mangini's face will light up when he hears about this:

Virginia Tech had goals last year, and a separated shoulder certainly wasn't going to get in the way of defensive end Jason Worilds. His gritty determination rubbed off on the entire team, but behind closed doors, Worilds was paying the price for each of his 18.5 tackles for loss.

He played the entire season with chronic dislocations in his left shoulder, and it popped out in three different games.

"He's like a brother to me," defensive tackle John Graves said. "We talked about it, and he told me that he was in pain. He's a warrior, though. No matter what anyone would say, he knew he had to do it for his team. He wanted to do it for his team. We just have the most respect for this guy to get hurt in the second game of the season and continue through the whole season with an injured shoulder."

"I just wanted to try to help my team," Worilds said. "We had goals. We came into the season, we wanted to win the ACC, go to the Orange Bowl again and avenge our loss from last year. I put so much into it that when the doctors told me I could still possibly play, I took that opportunity and ran with it."

Was it worth it?

"It was definitely worth it," he said.

Mangini's face will light up when he hears about this:

Nice.....hopefully surgery can fix the shoulder.

I like the kids motor, but all I saw was a Wimbley like player not make many plays. The sack was nice, but the QB should have stepped up on that one. Other than that I saw a team forced to pass because of the score, and #6 didn't do a lot to impress me in that video, but again I like his motor and take into consideration he was hurt pretty good.

Guest Aloysius

That was the last game Worilds was able to play last season. So yeah - the shoulder may have hampered his ability to bust out some power moves. Still like his quick first step; it's why he's projected as a day one pick.

Brandon Graham's another solid pass rusher. I'm not sure he's athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB, but he's got the power you're looking for.

(Graham's #55, lines up a LE)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived