THE BROWNS BOARD

Ron Rivera

lodilobo

10 hours ago, lodilobo said:

I would hire him today to replace Kitchens.

i would take him in a heartbeat....even if he would have to rebuild his own way....because his way would be better than what we have now for sure and what we have had for 21 yrs now.....but like ballpeen says...dorsey isn't....although i don't know how he knows this....but dorsey is a piece of shit if he does not consider it...

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But how long does it take to see Freddie is in over his head? As bad as Huey? No. But still just not that good.

Another lost very promising season?

Remember Cleveland was the HOT team to go to after Mayfield lit it up in the 7-8-1 campaign.....will that still be true in 2020?

I'd at least interview Rivera if they haven't talked already..... just sayin'.

12 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But how long does it take to see Freddie is in over his head? As bad as Huey? No. But still just not that good.

Not very. 

On 12/4/2019 at 11:22 AM, jrb12711 said:

Rivera is an excellent coach, my gut reaction is to say the same thing. I really wonder (strongly) what this team would look like with a veteran leader like Ron along with Freddie calling the plays. 

don't think freddy will be around...don't usually see someone stay on the same team after a demotion....i can't think of any although there might have been one...but i cannot recall it...

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It will be "we have to evaluate everything after the season is over". And to date, my grade on Freddie is a "D". We'll see if the Dorse thinks differently. 

57 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Yea, because ego comes before winning. 

Not really. Dorsey didn't waste much time shipping out his draft mistakes of Corbett and Callaway. It would be unheard of to axe a new head coach before his first season is over. If he thinks he can do better than Kitchens- I have no doubt he will do so. After the season is over. He can shield Haslam from the quick trigger label by saying "it's my call".   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Icecube said:

Yea, because ego comes before winning. 

Dorsey would certainly have to set his ego aside to move on from Freddie after one season. Especially since IIRC he had to sell Haslam on Freddie as the choice.

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Dorsey didn't waste much time shipping out his draft mistakes of Corbett and Callaway. It would be unheard of to axe a new head coach before his first season is over. If he thinks he can do better than Kitchens- I have no doubt he will do so. After the season is over. He can shield Haslam from the quick trigger label by saying "it's my call".   

It's not just Corbett and Callaway, h... there are trades and FA signings that have not panned out.

Firing Freddie after one season would be widely viewed as scapegoating, h... I don't see Dorsey embracing that moniker.

• Upvote 1

Fun facts....

In 2019 eight teams made HC changes... that's 1/4 of the league, a pretty typical turnover level.

Six hires were first-time HCs. Not sure, but I'd be surprised if the pendulum ever swung that far away from retreads before.

In addition to Rivera, Jay Gruden is already out there.

Prime candidates to join Ron and Jay include:

• Jason Garrett,
  • Anthony Lynn,
  • Dan Quinn
  • Pat Shurmur
  • Doug Marrone... that's 7...

Doesn't seem like there are as many "Hot" coordinators out there this season, but a lot of that talk is generated during the playoffs.

Feels like 2020 is setting up to be a retread year....

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Fun facts....

I guess that's the new norm in the NFL billionaires owners club and the win now or else mentality.  

Every single NFL head coach today was hired after 2000, most since 2010 once Belichick, Payton and those guys leave it will be a long time before you see a coach with 20 years with one team again.

An old quote from Bum Phillips "there's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them gonna be fired".          

Sad really.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Fun facts....

In 2019 eight teams made HC changes... that's 1/4 of the league, a pretty typical turnover level.

Six hires were first-time HCs. Not sure, but I'd be surprised if the pendulum ever swung that far away from retreads before.

In addition to Rivera, Jay Gruden is already out there.

Prime candidates to join Ron and Jay include:

• Jason Garrett,
  • Anthony Lynn,
  • Dan Quinn
  • Pat Shur-loss
  • Doug Marrone... that's 7...

Doesn't seem like there are as many "Hot" coordinators out there this season, but a lot of that talk is generated during the playoffs.

FIFY. :D Pat doesn't have the  horses. Jason is  done  if the Scow-boys don't  make the playoffs in the pathetic NFC East. Quinn  can put the house up for sale.  

At least on the coaching side,  it's  definitely  Not For  Long. Win or you're  fired. Why I  wonder if Feddie will be  one and done. He was given plenty of  talent- underperformed,  and apparently  doesn't seem to know how to  use it.  He gets a mulligan if he loses to the  Ravens  the  second time  around,  but not  losses to the  Bengals or  Cardinals. 

This thread is kind of an exercise in mental masturbation, because I highly doubt Ron Rivera would even want to come to Cleveland. With Jimmah constantly overriding his FO's and analyst's recommendations and coaches having 1-2 years here before they're shit canned, why would Ron Rivera (or any other talented coach) want to waste their time coming here? The fact is, this team's HC job is pretty toxic at the moment.

Mike McCarthy is still out there. I have said it before, he's a winner,  has a proven track record in both regular season and postseason, has a Superbowl ring. The Browns will eternally be nothing but the doormat of the league until they get a REAL head coach. 

And if not, Rivera would be my second option.

On the one hand, I don't want to change the coach after only one year, because I want some stability and he was a first time HC and probably needed getting some experience: 

On the other hand, he made some stupid mistakes and the team underperformed and even showed a lot of disciplinary problems, so he didn't have a promising start, so let's play the HC change hypothesis: 

I don't know any college promising coach, so I'm going to talk about the ones in Tour's list. 

My favorites are Quinn, then Rivera and finally Marrone. I would stay away from Garrett and Gruden, and I don't dislike Lynn. Pat is pretty much done. 

What I would LOVE, though, is having both an OC and DC calling plays, under a HC's guidelines. Because I'm freaking tired of watching Head Coaches having enough challenges leading a team wanting also playcalling duties. Fuck it, Mayfield always gets 10-15 seconds in the LOS presnap whereas other teams always have 20-25. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

I just don't see Freddie getting fired after one season, especially if they finish 8-8 or 9-7.

Not saying he's done a good job, because he hasn't, but he's getting another season at least IMO. 

Well....I am of the opinion that the Browns have closed whatever player talent gap may have existed between them and the Spermsuckers and the Ratfuckers.....(except maybe in a couple of spots).    But they have definitely NOT  closed the gap much more than a scintilla  when it comes to coaching talent......and that is with the acknowledgement that the former HC is the worst in the history of the NFL  where the HC was not also the owner of the team.