THE BROWNS BOARD

PASSWORD MANAGERS - and why you should use one

mjp28

PASSWORD MANAGERS - and why you should use one!   https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/300318/the-best-password-managers

Password managers from PC Mag, some basic ones are FREE but I use LastPass premium because I can use it in all of my laptop, tablets, phones......never be without access to all of your sites. 

Screenshot_2019-12-12_110044.jpg

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/25/cybersecurity-101-guide-password-manager

If you thought passwords will soon be dead, think again. They’re here to stay — for now. Passwords are cumbersome and hard to remember — and just when you did, you’re told to change it again. And sometimes passwords can be guessed and are easily hackable.

Nobody likes passwords but they’re a fact of life. And while some have tried to kill them off by replacing them with fingerprints and face-scanning technology, neither are perfect and many still resort back to the trusty (but frustrating) password.

How do you make them better? You need a password manager........

Why do you need to use one?

Password managers take the hassle out of creating and remembering strong passwords. It’s that simple. But there are three good reasons why you should care.

Passwords are stolen all the time. Sites and services are at risk of breaches as much as you are to phishing attacks that try to trick you into turning over your password. Although companies are meant to scramble your password whenever you enter it — known as hashing — not all use strong or modern algorithms, making it easy for hackers to reverse that hashing and read your password in plain text. Some companies don’t bother to hash at all! That puts your accounts at risk of fraud or your data at risk of being used against you for identity theft.

But the longer and more complex your password is — a mix of uppercase and lowercase characters, numbers, symbols and punctuation — the longer it takes for hackers to unscramble your password......... CONTINUED IN THE LINK........

Among many other things LastPass keeps track of all your sites many are just notes and does security evaluations....... here's mine, all 93 sites, all of my credit cards and bank sites have different tough passwords.

Screenshot_2019-12-12_214556.jpg

I used to use Lastpass, but I've since switched to Bitwarden.

I read somewhere recently that the Lastpass website was compromised.

But I agree, I have around 134 usernames & passwords...a password manager nowadays is a must. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, Canton Dawg said:

I used to use Lastpass, but I've since switched to Bitwarden.

I read somewhere recently that the Lastpass website was compromised.

But I agree, I have around 134 usernames & passwords...a password manager nowadays is a must. 

LastPass has had a few issues in the past but none affected the browsers I was using.  They also patched a few bugs over time.

They have a site that you can check out things on.  https://outage.report/lastpass

I'll never be without a password manager no matter which one you use.

Screenshot_2019-12-21_123452.jpg

• Upvote 1