THE BROWNS BOARD

Next man up

Westside Steve

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Well we really don't know who they would reject my guess is somebody who's going to want complete autonomy which I don't think Dorsey will be willing to give up if Dorsey is still at the helm. That's why my guest leaves slightly toward McCarthy because they are friends.

(Just complete and utter speculation pipedream whatever, I wondered what would happen if we bring back Williams and ask Freddieif he would go back to offensive coordinator?)

But I don't think McDaniels or Roman are responsible for any of the success there teams have had, just right place right time. As for Saleh who knows? Maybe a little bit of sharia law would cut down on penalties and mistakes? 😂

WSS

I agree with everything you say.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Read his last name and noticed that he's from Dearborn. Probably Lebanese or some other Middle Eastern.

WSS

Right....I assume he at least meets the Rooney rule.....and you never know, he could end up being a hell of a HC.    Hopefully he would if he were the guy we get.    (by the way, like 40% of Lebanese are Christian...so who knows or cares, except that the Rooney rule makes you delve into all that). 

I wouldn’t mind a defensive minded guy. I feel like the last couple guys we tried were offensive minded guys.

I hope Saleh gets a good look. The little l’ve read about him he’s been in the league a while and worked his way up through the ranks, and his defensive units have improved each year with SF. 1st round Dline picks every year helped l’m sure.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

McD?

I dunno... his pratfall in Denver just makes it too hard to want him. He might be a great OC, but HC??? I just don't see the added years he's spent under Bill raising his HC "game"... and when last seen it needed significant raising.

Details of his DNV time are a little fuzzy, but google is my friend:

The three articles progressively step back in time to his Bronco stint. I'd completely forgotten that McD authored his own little spygate episode prior to a London game vs. the 49ers. Here's a tidbit from the 2018 recounting...

McDaniels had full control over the roster, and while he didn’t have the same credibility and respectability as a guy like Bill Belichick, he tried to command that respect like a dog marking its territory all over the organization.

• Upvote 1

Started this in the MM thread, but it seems to fit better here...

22 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

... the old Oilers coach Bum Phillips.

Really good example of a leader as an HC. His Oiler teams loved the man and would have played on broken glass if he asked them to. He got the best out of everyone who played for him no matter what level of talent they brought to the team.

Someone mentioned Tomlin in one thread or another a while ago as an example of getting the leader part right in the selection process over getting the X'sO's genius. While there are things I don't like about Tomlin, I can't argue that he does not effectively lead the Steelers... same for Cowher before him... and Noll before him.

Maybe that needs to be our point of emphasis over XsOs.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Started this in the MM thread, but it seems to fit better here...

Really good example of a leader as an HC. His Oiler teams loved the man and would have played on broken glass if he asked them to. He got the best out of everyone who played for him no matter what level of talent they brought to the team.

Someone mentioned Tomlin in one thread or another a while ago as an example of getting the leader part right in the selection process over getting the X'sO's genius. While there are things I don't like about Tomlin, I can't argue that he does not effectively lead the Steelers... same for Cowher before him... and Noll before him.

Maybe that needs to be our point of emphasis over XsOs.

ok  ya i liked bum but c'mon  his claim to fame was running earl to death and trust me i loved to watch him do it along with billy white shoes

I was happy with the Hue Jackson hiring when it first happened. I thought it was a good idea to have Baker continue working with Freddie Kitchens, so l was ok with making Freddie the HC.

i really have no business putting forth the effort deciding if l do or don’t like any of these guys over the others. I suck at it. 

I think l like Saleh though. So better hope it’s not him, haha.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I dunno... his pratfall in Denver just makes it too hard to want him. He might be a great OC, but HC??? I just don't see the added years he's spent under Bill raising his HC "game"... and when last seen it needed significant raising.

Details of his DNV time are a little fuzzy, but google is my friend:

The three articles progressively step back in time to his Bronco stint. I'd completely forgotten that McD authored his own little spygate episode prior to a London game vs. the 49ers. Here's a tidbit from the 2018 recounting...

Hey I just posted the article I think there are all kinds of red flags with this guy. I don't want to be swayed by the fact that he's from 3 miles from my house. An offensive coordinator with Brady and Gronk seems to already have a step up on the opposition.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Hey I just posted the article I think there are all kinds of red flags with this guy. I don't want to be swayed by the fact that he's from 3 miles from my house. An offensive coordinator with Brady and Gronk seems to already have a step up on the opposition.

WSS

He was born at Barberton citizens hospital. But he grew up in the north canton area Plain Township actually 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I admit, there's a twisted part of my brain that would find it amusing if the Haslams finally get their white whale - Josh McDaniels - only to have him back out at the last minute like he did to the Colts. 

What would actually be funny would be if say the patriots lost tomorrow that Robert Kraft would  go to Bill Belichick and ask him to step down in favor of McDaniels because he doesn’t wanna lose McDaniels for the future. That would be funny. 

13 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/carolina-to-interview-josh-mcdaniels-on-tuesday/

So does he sign today? Then does stefanski go to the Giants and?

WSS

Stefanski could be the best of both worlds, a two for one if he convinces Kubiak to be his OC. They have worked well together to keep the Viks O going.

19 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Stefanski could be the best of both worlds, a two for one if he convinces Kubiak to be his OC. They have worked well together to keep the Viks O going.

That could work. By the way how bad would it suck to be Eric Bienemy (or however it's spelled) who  has to sit through all these interviews knowing that the only reason he's there is the Rooney Rule)

WSS

Just now, Westside Steve said:

That could work. By the way how bad would it suck to be Eric Bienemy (or however it's spelled) who  has to sit through all these interviews knowing that the only reason he's there is the Rooney Rule)

WSS

I disagree with you on this one. I think he is a legit candidate. THIS year may not be his year (although I think he goes to Carolina) but within the next 2 years, he will be the head coach somewhere. Especially if the KC offense keeps doing it what it does best. Plus, part of the "idea" of the rooney rule is to at least get interviews, learn the process, and become more prepared. When it was initially installed minorities were not even given these chances. I still think the rule itself needs to be adjusted and adapted to the changing times, but the overall "concept" of the rule is a good idea.

Now, Marvin Lewis with the Cowboys...that was a direct exploitation of the Rooney Rule.

15 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

I disagree with you on this one. I think he is a legit candidate. THIS year may not be his year (although I think he goes to Carolina) but within the next 2 years, he will be the head coach somewhere. Especially if the KC offense keeps doing it what it does best. Plus, part of the "idea" of the rooney rule is to at least get interviews, learn the process, and become more prepared. When it was initially installed minorities were not even given these chances. I still think the rule itself needs to be adjusted and adapted to the changing times, but the overall "concept" of the rule is a good idea.

Now, Marvin Lewis with the Cowboys...that was a direct exploitation of the Rooney Rule.

You think Marv Lewis is less legit?

WSS

20 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

New England arrogance at work there.    I don't think that McDaniel needs BBs "stamp of approval" of the Browns ownership in order to consider this job.   That being said, certainly, NO,  no one would give this ownership its stamp of approval. 

But let's look at what the Browns have to offer:

A. A young, exciting, capable QB....who in my, and I assume your, and many others in football, just needs proper direction.

B.  A quality WR corps, with Landry, OBJ, Higgins, etc.  Njoku and Seals at TE

C. One of the top 3 backfields (RBs) in the game. 

D.  OK....an OL that needs work.   (If everything were perfect we wouldn't be needing a new HC)

E.  We will have back one of the best Pass Rushers in the game.  

F.  A defensive backfield with some good promising pieces.....but yes, which needs work

G.  A LB corps....which, if they keep Schobert has a solid piece in the middle.   Kirksey on the mend.   But yes, needs some work. 

So, what I am saying is that the Browns have very, very attractive pieces in place that an offensive oriented HC would love to work with.  (be that McD. or Stefanski, or Bienemy).

A key part of the new HCs job ...if it is one of the offensive minded guys WILL be to hire the right DC.   Don't know if there are any Dick LeBeau's in the wings out there.  

But, if defensive minded Robert Saleh is chosen.....he will have control of the defense likely.   His biggest task would be getting the right OC to come in to work with the talent mentioned above.   Who could come in and do that? 

I don't know why....but I do feel that it will be one of the offensive guys, just based on what he would have to work with. 

I think it would be nice to get McD at HC and Saleh at DC....but, of course, we know that there would be no lateral move to make....and Saleh has a hell of a defense to work with there in SFO if he does not get the HC gig with the Browns.