THE BROWNS BOARD

Meyer as HC and GM

MLD Woody

7 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

You told me you like art for setting up the current Afcn. That’s when I lost my respect for you. Get any mirrors as gifts?

So, the claim is that Art Modell set up the current AFCN?  Actually, I think the division is set up the way it is in spite of Art, not because of him.  He hated Paul Brown and wanted no part of Brown in his division...but the league insisted.

The league put the Browns and the Ravens together simply for the reason that they wanted the drama and the conflict of those teams playing together. I think Art had fuck all to do with it. 

The Steelers/Browns rivalry predates Modell.....and really, it was more Art Rooney agreeing to move to the AFC in 1970 that created the predecessors of the AFCN.  Modell moved for the money....Rooney moved for the good of the league.

Your only theory of Art being responsible is that it was his ineptness as an owner that set forces in play that led to the creation of the AFCN....he certainly did not do any pre-planning to accomplish this.   Like I said, it happened in spite of him, not because of him. 

14 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Why would he waste his time with such a crap organization like the Browns? I'm guessing this interest is very one sided

The Cleveland Browns like any of the other 32 teams is no small operation maybe run differently than some others but a big "corporation" in itself.  Just scroll down and see what is involved in making the BROWNS tick.  https://www.vegasinsider.com/live-odds/line-originator/nevada

This is just a small sample:

Screenshot_2020-01-02_125259.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-02_125725.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-02_130200.jpg

17 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The Cleveland Browns like any of the other 32 teams is no small operation maybe run differently than some others but a big "corporation" in itself.  Just scroll down and see what is involved in making the BROWNS tick.  https://www.vegasinsider.com/live-odds/line-originator/nevada

This is just a small sample:

Screenshot_2020-01-02_125259.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-02_125725.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-02_130200.jpg

The first two names on that list are also the two biggest reasons to run from this team. 

I'd certainly love to see him coaching for any team I root for, but I just don't think the odds are in the Browns' favor

26 minutes ago, ATOM said:

haslem just said he is looking for a coach with nfl experience 

what ever jimma

You would almost have to have a coach with NFL experience.

For some reason we are selecting the coach first who will then have considerable input on the GM selected.  

anyone see a problem with a college coach (never coached at the NFL level) directing or giving considerable input in the decision to hire an NFL GM.  

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

You would almost have to have a coach with NFL experience.

For some reason we are selecting the coach first who will then have considerable input on the GM selected.  

anyone see a problem with a college coach (never coached at the NFL level) directing or giving considerable input in the decision to hire an NFL GM.  

Anyone see a problem with a GM AND a HC reporting to the owner?

It didn’t work for Pettine & Farmer...I highly doubt it’s going to work this time around.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

It didn’t work for Pettine & Farmer...I highly doubt it’s going to work this time around.

did not jimmy hire both himself separate? than sat up the square/round hole table next? i truly can't recall all these trainwrecks

15 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

hey maybe it will be differnt this time

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, the claim is that Art Modell set up the current AFCN?  Actually, I think the division is set up the way it is in spite of Art, not because of him.  He hated Paul Brown and wanted no part of Brown in his division...but the league insisted.

The league put the Browns and the Ravens together simply for the reason that they wanted the drama and the conflict of those teams playing together. I think Art had fuck all to do with it. 

The Steelers/Browns rivalry predates Modell.....and really, it was more Art Rooney agreeing to move to the AFC in 1970 that created the predecessors of the AFCN.  Modell moved for the money....Rooney moved for the good of the league.

Your only theory of Art being responsible is that it was his ineptness as an owner that set forces in play that led to the creation of the AFCN....he certainly did not do any pre-planning to accomplish this.   Like I said, it happened in spite of him, not because of him. 

Not my theory. Tour is the art modell admirer here. He claims art set up the afcn as it is now and loves him for it

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Not my theory. Tour is the art modell admirer here. He claims art set up the afcn as it is now and loves him for it

Well....Art was good.....originally....setting up a lot of things that held sway in the NFL for some years...or at least helping to do so.  Though, things that may have seemed eleeomosynary on his part,   like the move to the AFC,  were more motivated by an immediate payment of cash to him rather that it being for the good of the league, even if it was good for the league.  But later, it was all about just bad  financial management on his part. Did Art have a desire to win?  I have no doubt about that.   He just had not much of a clue how to set it up so that the team was successful  both  financially and on the field wise.  When it was clear to everyone else that he jumped the shark in his ability to run an NFL team, like the Producers of Happy Days....he turned what was originally Happy Days into  Pathetic, Suckotage Days. 

15 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

You told me you like art for setting up the current Afcn. That’s when I lost my respect for you. Get any mirrors as gifts?

You don’t remember the tarmac meet? Or how artsy farts was the nfl owner that lost money? Or telling me how much adoration you have for him setting up the afcn as it is. 
the nfl was going to take the team from your hero for the way he bled money.  You agdmire him but aren’t a fan.... lol

You are in serious need of remedial reading. Here's proof...

On 9/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, Tour2ma said:

Not a fan of Modell by any stretch, but pissing on his "grave"? No... I draw the line at "Jump, Art! JUMP!"

As for the Ravens... They are a natural rival given our history... and I love rivalries. What other team shares a division with three, true rivals? Where two rivals, CIN and BLT, were made off the playing field? It's been 20 years, but we are finally approaching the full realization of all those rivalries on the field.

Who can we thank for setting up our unique division? Art...

I love it...

5 hours ago, ATOM said:

haslem just said he is looking for a coach with nfl experience 

what ever jimma

Actually what Jimmah just said is... "Right now, we are just focusing on people with NFL experience.” Smacks of Jimmah feeling like he has Urban in his backpocket.

So the question becomes... how long is right now?

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I don't remember it being a huge issue with Pet and Farmer. Now Hue and Sashi... huge issue.

But this time giving the new HC a role in choosing his GM has the possibility of mitigating any problems.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

But this time giving the new HC a role in choosing his GM has the possibility of mitigating any problems.

Can't think of many situations where a person gets to choose his or her boss... 

Didn't work with Mangini and Kokinis either, if I recall. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hmmmmm. Right off hand I can't think of any, that would mean you have some power or control or maybe ownership of the situation greater than that of your boss.

That might happen in a marriage situation where the spouse's daddy owned a company and you can choose your boss. Highly unusual.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well....here is the thing.....if the HC chooses the GM.....then the GM is NOT the boss.  The HC is.   Again, just look at the BB/NE example;   and maybe Andy Reid, and maybe a few other teams. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well....here is the thing.....if the HC chooses the GM.....then the GM is NOT the boss.  The HC is.   Again, just look at the BB/NE example;   and maybe Andy Reid, and maybe a few other teams. 

You are right, but with the exception of Mike McCarthy, no one being interviewed is even close to the stature of Belichick or Andy Reid. They've earned that right. Josh McDaniels? Eh... 

I mean, I get the whole idea of wanting the GM and HC to be on the same page, but that wasn't the problem with Dorsey and Kitchens. The problem was Dorsey chose the wrong guy... and if he did hire him more on the fact that he wouldn't be a threat than that he was the best man for the job, then it's kind of hard to defend Dorsey getting forced out. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's a difference between having input and "getting to choose".

Besides.... if the HC is not to report to the GM, then the above is not the case... is it?

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

There's a difference between having input and "getting to choose".

Besides.... if the HC is not to report to the GM, then the above is not the case... is it?

This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  ;)

3 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

This whole situation is goofy, so who would the HC report to? What does the GM do? Does everyone only report to the owner?

Not a very efficient chain of command.......but then again this is Believeland.  ;)

It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

It might in the right situation but is the Haslam show the right situation?  (no)

I saw (briefly) JH on the tube tonight talking about the common traits in winning teams that are perennial playoff teams and having the same goals or visions.... something like that.....and what he was trying to do in putting this staff together.

We'll see how good he is putting a sports management team together.

27 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Bingo... but it only can if two adults who respect each other fill the roles. This is especially so in our case since Jimmah has already shown once that he can't be trusted to mediate disputes.