THE BROWNS BOARD

Meyer as HC and GM

MLD Woody

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It has worked... Seattle has this set-up, for example. 

So,   Seattle,   New England,  Kansas City    Others....where HC is the boss of GM.   Those 3 franchises have been successful with it.

A better question is:    Does any other franchise have this so called  "equilibrium" with its HC and GM.....as seemingly the Browns may want to do?

And, if so, how successful has that been? 

(I believe that may have been the case in the old  Tom Landry/Gil Brandt days...but not sure since)

23 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

The first two names on that list are also the two biggest reasons to run from this team. 

I'd certainly love to see him coaching for any team I root for, but I just don't think the odds are in the Browns' favor

True in a lot of ways if you have an owner/CEO/GM/"HC"/dictator running everything good luck trying to put any organization of any size or complexity together and have it run successfully over time it seldom if ever works.

It's just one of the problems with the new era of multi-multimillionaire or now multibillionaire owners running sports teams and wanting instant results.

And the coaching carrousels will continue......

15 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

True in a lot of ways if you have an owner/CEO/GM/"HC"/dictator running everything good luck trying to put any organization of any size or complexity together and have it run successfully over time it seldom if ever works.

It's just one of the problems with the new era of multi-multimillionaire or now multibillionaire owners running sports teams and wanting instant results.

And the coaching carrousels will continue......

So, are you saying he.....Meyer....would want no part of the Cowboys because of control freak Jerrah being there? 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So, are you saying he.....Meyer....would want no part of the Cowboys because of control freak Jerrah being there? 

In reference to the Browns organization and post.

40 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

In reference to the Browns organization and post.

That was not my question.  My question is do you think he is still a viable candidate for the Dallas job.  I mean, anything that applies to Haslam re being a dictator applies in spades to the Gay Caballeros with Jones. 

Oh I am a gay caballero
Going to Rio Janiero
With nice oily hair,
And full of hot air,
I'm an expert at shooting the bull-eo
I'll find me a fair senorita
Not thin and yet not too much meat-a.
I'll woo her a while
In my Argentine style
And sweep her right off of her feet-a
I'll tell her I'm of the nobilio
And live in a great big castillio.
I must have a miss
Who will long for a kiss
And not say "Oh don't be so silly-io.
It was at a gay cabaretta
While wining and dining I met her.
We had one or two
As other folks do.
The night was wet but we got wetter.
She was a dancer and singer
At me she kept pointing her finger
And saying to me
"Si, Senor, Si Si"
But I couldn't see a durn thing-er

11 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

My mistake your not a fan. You only love what he did.   Sheeesh

Well at least you've learned something today...

11 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I recall Farmer bypassing Pettine and sending text messages to Shanahan. 

lol... true that, but wrong direction unless they were secretly reporting to Shanny the younger...

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So,   Seattle,   New England,  Kansas City    Others....where HC is the boss of GM.   Those 3 franchises have been successful with it.

A better question is:    Does any other franchise have this so called  "equilibrium" with its HC and GM.....as seemingly the Browns may want to do?

And, if so, how successful has that been? 

(I believe that may have been the case in the old  Tom Landry/Gil Brandt days...but not sure since)

Seems like it would work if things are in constant harmony.

trouble or $&@ hitting the fan.  I see a lot of finger pointing and attempting to CYA 

• Upvote 1

49ers are another...

27 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I see a lot of finger pointing and attempting to CYA 

When the wrong people are in the positions, absolutely... and worse, e.g., back stabbing, etc.

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

49ers are another...

When the wrong people are in the positions, absolutely... and worse, e.g., back stabbing, etc.

Present day, This is much tougher spot for a HC than a GM.  I don’t think the structure is appealing to a GM.  Most I believe want to select the HC or at least have the input 

the GM will not be selecting a QB for the foreseeable future.  The GM has cap room and draft capital (18 picks this and and next year including 4 in top 3 rounds this year).  They’ve got a pass this year getting started later than usual.  

the HC has to try to cobble all these personalities into a team and deal with an undisciplined group thanks to Freddie.  And like it or not Fix our QB. 

HCs plate will certainly be full... makes you wonder why he'd want most or all the GM duties as well.

Key is a collaborative approach.

18 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

----->  HCs plate will certainly be full... makes you wonder why he'd want most or all the GM duties as well.

KEY point!  This is not an old, stable, mature, well run organization and team everyone in the FO and the coaches in camp and on the field will have their hands full to try and make this a .500+ winning team.

No time to go experimenting with new ways to handle a young NFL team.  And having multiple people reporting directly to the boss (who's no football guy) is a BAD idea to me.

Just sayin'......

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

... makes you wonder why he'd want most or all the GM duties as well.

He's the deer in headlights look that McCarthy may have gave to our Odd Squad after hearing "use guys, bring all of your problems to me"

E0b.gif         

29 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

KEY point!  This is not an old, stable, mature, well run organization and team everyone in the FO and the coaches in camp and on the field will have their hands full to try and make this a .500+ winning team.

No time to go experimenting with new ways to handle a young NFL team.  And having multiple people reporting directly to the boss (who's no football guy) is a BAD idea to me.

Just sayin'......

The Browns have been around since 1946...so they are an old franchise.   Stable?  not under this ownership.   Mature?  Depends on what you are talking about...the franchise is mature, but perhaps some of the people running it are not.   Well run.....certain not.

And by "Young NFL team"  I assume you mean the average age of the players on its roster? 

But, yes, having multiple people reporting directly to the boss who is no football guy, I agree is bad.   We went through that before. 

It is why I fell for the suggestion that  Haslam would hire a Director of Football Operations.....like Peyton, or Ozzie.    Seemed to make some sense to me.....but instead...he hired himself for that job, apparently.   He must be enamored with the Jerry Jones model of doing things. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

HCs plate will certainly be full... makes you wonder why he'd want most or all the GM duties as well.

Plus, he'll have a comprehensive 1000 page report to read from DePodesta! Hooray! 😉

On 12/31/2019 at 8:33 PM, onkyoreceiver said:

Schefter is reporting an expanded role for Dee...word is whoever our new hire is will be reporting directly to her.

So, the evolution of hiring criteria for a HC now puts a major emphasis on cutest dimples. 

As for the new GM within the ever changing/never been job description now adds a breakthrough feature to promote workable relations between HC and the GM he has a large say in hiring.  That would be the new GM must ask the new HC at every opportunity "Can I push your stool in?"  

• Haha 2

Have to admit that I am warming to the thought of Urban getting the job(s).

Main thing is that he has to have been a delegator to do as well as he did at the highest levels of the college ranks which with recruiting is an even heavier burden than the Pros.

Plus we know that Urban's on field interests were focused on Special Teams... infinitely more manageable added load than Offense or Defense.

Finally he attracted quality staff wherever he coached and has a sprouted respectable coaching tree.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Have to admit that I am warming to the thought of Urban getting the job(s).

Main thing is that he has to have been a delegator to do as well as he did at the highest levels of the college ranks which with recruiting is an even heavier burden than the Pros.

Plus we know that Urban's on field interests were focused on Special Teams... infinitely more manageable added load than Offense or Defense.

Finally he attracted quality staff wherever he coached and has a sprouted respectable coaching tree.

Urban may end up being the best of what's left......if he really wants either the HC or both.

Reminds me of a few years back when the BROWNS couldn't land the better FA QBs and got what was left.

I hope Cleveland isn't going to turn toxic again to new coaches and players.  (The Haslam effect?)