THE BROWNS BOARD

Pros and Cons on head coach candidates

calfoxwc

Interesting list.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869050-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-pros-and-cons-on-nfl-coach-candidates

I am leaning big towards Kris Richard. Looking at all the candidates a bit...

yep.

The article's author got this one right... lol...

Rex Ryan, former Bills and Jets head coach: Still seen as a viable coach by some general managers (unbelievably).

Pros: Nothing comes to mind.

Cons: Too numerous to mention here.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Mike McCarthy, former Packers head coach: McCarthy may have had a rocky relationship with Aaron Rodgers, but he's still respected by many in the league.

Pro: Won a Super Bowl.

Con: Completely lost control of the Packers.

When you have Rodgers for 10 years, shouldn't you win more than one SB?

Robert Saleh, defensive coordinator, 49ers: If Saleh wants a head coaching job now, one general manager told me, he could have his pick. He's viewed by the league as smart and good in the locker room.

Pro: Gets the most out of players.

Con: It's unknown how he'd handle the offensive side of the ball.

That's really reaching for a "Con". If he's smart, then you just ask him and he'll have the answer... and it likely will be something akin to the 49ers ground pounding O.

Good read... not deep, but a good primer.

Not feeling da Boys Kris Richard as neither their passin attack nor Pass D was anything great this season...

... but a new name did catch my eye.

Don "Wink" Martindale, defensive coordinator, Ravens: Watch this one closely. I'm hearing he's quickly becoming one of the favorites of some teams because the Ravens defense has become such a potent unit.

Pro: Gets the most out of his players.

Cons: Very few. He's seen as an antidote and puzzle-solver in an era of high-6 deep, but powered offenses.

I'm biased to D-minded HCs and he's certainly delivered. Of course his 2ndary is loaded 6 deep, but what he's done with a front 7 (or 6) assembled from street urchins has been amazing.

55 minutes ago, darren15 said:

I am seeing Stefanski and Kubiak  being mentioned a lot  on Twitter .....

DePodesta is running the head coach search now, and apparently Stefanski was his choice last offseason. 

• Confused 1

I'm not sure how much I like DePodesta.   After his (and The Committee's) first draft he boasted how they drafted 'productive' college players.  And my question at the time was, "But does their 'college' game translate to the pros well?"   And as I recall, not too many worked out well. 

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm not sure how much I like DePodesta.   After his (and The Committee's) first draft he boasted how they drafted 'productive' college players.  And my question at the time was, "But does their 'college' game translate to the pros well?"   And as I recall, not too many worked out well. 

A million draft picks, virtually nothing to show for it. 

14 minutes ago, Orion said:

I know how much I like him. About as much as I would like stepping on punji sticks.

WSS

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darren15 said:

I am seeing Stefanski and Kubiak  being mentioned a lot  on Twitter .....

Sorry... I was Jimmy the 11th caller that called NFL Radio yesterday.. Wanted Ed McCaffery's feedback on Gary Kubiak that I think could get Baker on track & Kub would know how to use Hunt & Chubb..

1) Mike Zimmer's contract may expire after 2020 season. Re-signed 1 year 

2) McCaffery (who played with Gary) said he knows nothing concerning about Gary's health risk. But Gary really enjoys being with his son, now coaching on Vikes OL staff also

3) Led me to:: Zimmer covered his back, thinking Stefanski should have landed a job this season

4) Imho..Gary ain't leaving...Bye Pantski

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

as i just mentioned in a different thread how can he have so much input on the team being that he does not reside in Cleveland

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

When you have Rodgers for 10 years, shouldn't you win more than one SB?

That's really reaching for a "Con". If he's smart, then you just ask him and he'll have the answer... and it likely will be something akin to the 49ers ground pounding O.

Drew Brees has been with Sean Payton 14 years and only have 1 SB

I would think that Payton would be at the top of most peoples list, if he was available 

• Upvote 1

If you could get Kubiak to take the stress of HC again, he'd be ideal. He was Elway's coach on the bench when they played together and eventually a Superbowl winning HC. He has designed and run many an innovative offense for various pro teams. And he's smart enough and well respected enough to find a very good D coordinator.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Virtually?

That was being very kind. The BROWNS in general since 1999 have blown the most draft picks in the 100 year history of professional football.  There.  :P

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

That was being very kind. The BROWNS in general since 1999 have blown the most draft picks in the 100 year history of professional football.  There.  :P

True... but I know that Dutch was not thinking back that far... not even close to that far.

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

True... but I know that Dutch was not thinking back that far... not even close to that far.

True but they did their part in keeping the BROWNS drafts.... exciting?

And remember,. The 2021 NFL Draft will be the 86th annual meeting of National Football League (NFL) franchises to select newly eligible players. The draft is expected to be held in late April 2021, based on prior draft dates. It will be held in Cleveland, Ohio.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I have no idea what you and mjp are talking about... 

I was referring specifically to the 2016 Browns draft. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have no idea what you and mjp are talking about... 

I was referring specifically to the 2016 Browns draft. 

We were just expanding on your thoughts.

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

A million draft picks, virtually nothing to show for it. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I changed my mind a bit -

https://www.vikings.com/team/coaches-roster/kevin-stefanski

for head coach, no doubt about it.

But Kris Richard for DC.

Word on the street is Jerrah Jones loves him some Mike McCarthy, and has decided to keep him in Big D an additional day.

I also agree on hiring Stefanski, Baker Mayfield is more productive running 12 personnel and Stefanski runs it 45% of the time.

IIRC, only Philly runs 12 personnel more than any other team in the league.

5 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Word on the street is Jerrah Jones loves him some Mike McCarthy, and has decided to keep him in Big D an additional day.

I also agree on hiring Stefanski, Baker Mayfield is more productive running 12 personnel and Stefanski runs it 45% of the time.

IIRC, only Philly runs 12 personnel more than any other team in the league.

Plus, if it true that DePodesta is running this hiring process and that he was "blown away" by Stefanski last year during the HC search, it really points to Stefanski being the next Browns head coach, but...….

I still contend that McDaniels is the Haslams white whale. He's the one that they keep wanting, going all the way back to the Haslam's first HC search. 

So will DePodesta's choice FOR THE THIRD TIME be bypassed? 

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Plus, if it true that DePodesta is running this hiring process and that he was "blown away" by Stefanski last year during the HC search, it really points to Stefanski being the next Browns head coach, but...….

I still contend that McDaniels is the Haslams white whale. He's the one that they keep wanting, going all the way back to the Haslam's first HC search. 

So will DePodesta's choice FOR THE THIRD TIME be bypassed? 

What Lola wants, Lola gets.   And if Lola (Dee) wants Josh, Lola gets Josh.....if Josh wants Lola.  Of course, Lola better be careful what she asks for, she may get it.

giphy.gif