THE BROWNS BOARD

Oxnard (CA) officers say teen slaying suspect admitted killing, apologized

Guest mz.

I mean, this story has it all. An apparent "hate crime," child finding firearms and ammo in his home......

At a pretrial hearing, police say Brandon McInerney, accused of killing classmate Larry King, who was gay, told them, 'I'm sorry I did it.'

By Catherine Saillant

8:52 PM PDT, July 20, 2009

McInerney, who was 14 at the time, apologized repeatedly for allegedly gunning down Larry King, 15, a classmate who students said had pursued McInerney romantically, the officers testified.

"He said, 'I'm sorry, I did it, officer. I shot him,' " said Officer Joe Tinoco, of the Oxnard Police Department.

As Tinoco and Sgt. Peter Freiberg patted McInerney down, the eighth-grader told them he had left his weapon behind in the classroom, Tinoco said.

The surprising admission was one of several new details about the high-profile shooting that emerged in the first day of testimony at McInerney's pretrial hearing. McInerney, who is being tried as an adult, faces a first-degree murder charge for allegedly taking out a weapon as class got underway Feb. 12, 2008, and shooting King twice in the back of the head.

Prosecutors say it was a hate crime. But on Monday, defense attorney Scott Wippert repeatedly suggested that King provoked violent behavior by flirting on campus with McInerney while dressed in women's high-heeled boots, earrings and makeup.

The 4-foot, 11-inch King "sexually harassed" McInerney by openly declaring his affection for him and humiliating him with his attention, Wippert said.

"Did you ask about Larry making sexual overtures to other boys?" Wippert asked one detective.

As the tall, baby-faced defendant shifted uncomfortably next to his attorneys, prosecutor Maeve Fox put on a parade of investigators who testified that the youth told at least two students the day before the shooting that he was going to kill King.

One student, a female friend of King's, reportedly told Oxnard Police Sgt. Kevin Baysinger that McInerney sought her out the day before the shooting. McInerney reportedly told the girl, "Tell Larry goodbye because you're not going to see him again," Baysinger testified.

One of McInerney's friends told investigators that the youth said he was "going to kill" King. He told another friend that they should jump King and "shank" him.

None of the students reported the threats, apparently because they didn't take them seriously, investigators testified.

A crime-scene investigator said the weapon used in the shooting was a .22-caliber revolver. Another witness testified that detectives found a cache of weapons in an unlocked closet at McInerney's home.

The weapons reportedly belonged to his grandfather, William McInerney Sr.

Ammunition, an instructional DVD called "Shooting in Realistic Environments" and drawings of swatiskas were found in a bedroom that the defendant shared with an older brother stationed in Iraq, investigators said.

Students at the school told investigators that McInerney and King had been feuding for days over King's alleged romantic overtures.

The day before the shooting, the two were passing in a hall when King told McInerney, "Baby, I love you," detectives testified.

The comment angered McInerney, a friend reportedly told police.

On Feb. 12, McInerney sat in a chair directly behind King in Room 42 as King worked on an English report, students told investigators. When the first shot was fired, teacher Dawn Boldrin whirled around and yelled at McInerney.

A student identified as Mariah T told police that King slumped to his right after the first shot.

McInerney was holding the revolver with both hands and briefly made eye contact with her before stretching his arms out and shooting King a second time in the back of the head, Mariah T reportedly told investigators.

Then he dropped the weapon and walked out of the classroom. The two arresting officers caught up with him a few blocks away as he walked away from the school, talking on his cellphone, the officers said.

Testimony is expected to resume today.

I better stop "hitting" on DieHard, if I know what's good for me. ;)

via here.

I mean, this story has it all. An apparent "hate crime," child finding firearms and ammo in his home......

..and drawings of swatiskas were found in a bedroom that the defendant shared with an older brother stationed in Iraq, investigators said.

And here we have it. Something very troubling going on with the boy - not just access to a "cache" of weapons.

To twist the story slightly, in an effort to remove the ridiculous "hate crime" moniker (all crimes are hate crimes, it's redundant), if McInerney was female yet did not kill King, the discussion would focus on what a pile of shit King was to harass this poor girl tirelessly. We'd be the ones filled with hate, not "the crime."

Prosecutors say it was a hate crime. But on Monday, defense attorney Scott Wippert repeatedly suggested that King provoked violent behavior by flirting on campus with McInerney while dressed in women's high-heeled boots, earrings and makeup.

They allow queers to demonstrate that behavior in school as 8th graders out in California?? Figures.

I am sorry the young fellow got shot, but McInerty had to be in a altered state of mind by the constant sexual harassment. I can imagine the jokes being made at his expense.

To bad he just didn't beat the snot out the guy.

IMO he shouldn't be tried as an adult. To often us "adults" forget what it was like being a 14 year old.

They allow queers to demonstrate that behavior in school as 8th graders out in California?? Figures.

That's your opening thought? I hesitate to "name-call," as cal will piss and moan all day about it, but those really are the words of an intolerant scumbag. We get you dislike "queers," "Africans" and "Californians.". I'm guessing Jews and Mexicans aren't far behind.

We have no idea what the dead kid did at all. The murderer pants a picture of the "harrassment" that may or may not he accurate. I'd like to hear how witnesses recall the situation.

And Leg, a hate crime is a crime committed for the sole reason of hating someone because of what he or she simply is. Perhaps not out of provocation, so something like this is straddling the line IMO.

And Leg, a hate crime is a crime committed for the sole reason of hating someone because of what he or she simply is. Perhaps not out of provocation, so something like this is straddling the line IMO.

I was just insisting that all crimes are pretty hateful.

That's your opening thought? I hesitate to "name-call," as cal will piss and moan all day about it, but those really are the words of an intolerant scumbag. We get you dislike "queers," "Africans" and "Californians.". I'm guessing Jews and Mexicans aren't far behind.

We have no idea what the dead kid did at all. The murderer pants a picture of the "harrassment" that may or may not he accurate. I'd like to hear how witnesses recall the situation.

LOL....true enough..I don't like queers...though that has nothing to do with gay...Africans..I like them fine...Mexicans...hard workers and good family people....Jews..I like the a lot as a matter of fact...they stand up to the Arabs. I wish we had a Jewish President and Secretary of Defense.

Californians...it's up in the air.

really mz the pussy...I think you need to become a more tolerant person...a scumbag???

a hate crime is a crime committed for the sole reason of hating someone because of what he or she simply is. Perhaps not out of provocation, so something like this is straddling the line IMO.

I actually agree with that. It might be one of the better points you have made in the last few hundred posts.

At this point I have seen nothing to indicate the kid was against gays...just the one who was embarrassing him by making passes at him at every turn.

Like I said earlier, a point you seem to ignore..at 14, there is a lot of peer pressure and false association. Trust me man...if some gay guy in high heels and ear rings was making passes at you when you were 14, you would have received a lot of jokes thrown your way...that is assuming you weren't the guy in high heels and ear rings..

I certainly don't condone what this kid did, but he shouldn't be tried as a adult...and as far as hate crimes...those are simply a joke...a crime is a crime...it is creating a protected class...almost a endangered species list of sorts.

Archived