THE BROWNS BOARD

Rooney Rule

Gorka

This is something l think about. I’m that optimist who would like to think we will eventually get to the point where rules dictating anything related to ethnic background go away. Because we no longer need them. Because we self police ourselves to better heights of understanding and decency and get better at science and stuff.

Maybe a generation or 2 will have to die off first. I dunno. But eventually we’ll get there.

However, directly related to the Rooney Rule, l think we are to the point where it is being manipulated and possibly mocked. Everyone knows Dallas interviewed Marvin Lewis prior to hiring McCarthy right? I’m 90% sure that conversation went something like this.

Dallas: Hi Marvin. What do you think about coaching the Dallas Cowboys?

Marvin: I appreciate the offer, but l don’t think l’m interested in coaching right now.

Dallas: How would you and your family like a week paid vacation to Dallas? We’ve got a 5 star hotel suite already lined up for you.

Marvin: Tell me more.

I live near the Cincy area, and listening to Marvin in radio interviews his last couple years was the saddest thing ever. That man was so done coaching and was just going through the motions.

54 minutes ago, Gorka said:

So why has no black head coach been hired thus far?  Has any even received an interview?

There's been a lot of whining out there amid these recent coach hiring's, both on TV and op eds.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/the-rooney-rule-still-isnt-working/

An Hispanic coach has been hired:   Rivera.   The Rooney rule does not just apply to blacks, but to any of a number of minorities.  Hispanic, Asian, Samoan, Hawaiian.  Native American......Arabic/Middle eastern (Saleh).   I say BS to the Rooney Rule not working.  It worked pretty well a couple of years back when like 3 out of 4 vacancies were filled with African American coaches. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

An Hispanic coach has been hired:   Rivera.   The Rooney rule does not just apply to blacks, but to any of a number of minorities.  Hispanic, Asian, Samoan, Hawaiian.  Native American......Arabic/Middle eastern (Saleh).   I say BS to the Rooney Rule not working.  It worked pretty well a couple of years back when like 3 out of 4 vacancies were filled with African American coaches. 

I think we are exempt from the Rooney Rule for the next 25 years because of Jackson Farmer and Brown..

WSS

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, nickers said:

The Rooney Rule is a joke right on par with Affirmative Action..... Both are detrimental to America and the league

Not really. Affirmative Action demands quotas. Quotas that can discriminate against better qualified people.

The Rooney Rule is there only to assure that minorities are given equal opportunity.

Its about equal opportunity, not equal outcomes.

I agree, it’s not such a bad rule. In the grand scheme of things another guy gets an interview. No big deal. Worst case scenario the guy gets valuable experience going through the interview process. 

I’m fairly convinced that in Marvin’s case both parties knew what was going on and went through the motions to satisfy the rule. And l guess that’s ok too as long as both sides get what they wanted out of the deal. 

At least it didn’t waste some poor guy’s time who was legitimately hopeful of getting the job only later to find out he was being used to satisfy the rule. That’s where things get icky because it reduces people to an ethnic background. 

20 hours ago, Gorka said:

So why has no black head coach been hired thus far?  Has any even received an interview?

There's been a lot of whining out there amid these recent coach hiring's, both on TV and op eds.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/the-rooney-rule-still-isnt-working/

I believe Bienemy was interviewed by the Browns and at least one other team.