THE BROWNS BOARD

Proposal: two playoff teams to be added this year

ATOM

The Chiefs earned a first-round bye on the last day of the 2019 regular season on their way to the Lombardi Trophy. That quite possibly could mark the final season of two teams getting byes in each conference.

Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement proposal, the NFL would add a playoff team to each conference beginning this season, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

That means only the team with the best record in each conference would receive a bye during wild-card weekend. It would add two games — one from each conference — to wild-card weekend for a total of six games on the first weekend of the postseason.

The expanded playoffs was an easy sell to the players, according to Schefter, unlike increasing the number of regular-season games to 17.

The NFL currently has 12 playoff teams — eight division winners and four wild-card teams. The two teams in each conference with the best records receive the byes into the divisional round.

The Ravens and Chiefs earned byes in the AFC in 2019, and the 49ers and Packers did the same in the NFC.

Under the old CBA, players on teams that earned a first-round bye did not receive postseason pay that weekend. They will under the new agreement, according to Schefter.

There is growing optimism the sides soon could finalize a new CBA, with owners meeting in New York this week and the Players Association conducting a conference call with player reps

from pft

1 minute ago, ATOM said:

There is growing optimism the sides soon could finalize a new CBA, with owners meeting in New York this week and the Players Association conducting a conference call with player reps

While it isn't done yet, this is encouraging news. It sounded like this CBA negotiation was going to be a bloodbath, resulting in possible games lost.

Not a big fan of adding more playoff teams, but I like that much better than a 17th regular season game. 16 is enough. 

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

While it isn't done yet, this is encouraging news. It sounded like this CBA negotiation was going to be a bloodbath, resulting in possible games lost.

Not a big fan of adding more playoff teams, but I like that much better than a 17th regular season game. 16 is enough. 

they said they want it done for i believe the march 15th deadline

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ATOM said:

they said they want it done for i believe the march 15th deadline

I think that the NFL Inc and NFLPA both learned from previous years that work stoppages either strikes or lockouts are a lose-lose money losing proposition.

I look for them to do anything to come to a mutual agreement on a labor deal......and take a lot of nice pictures shaking hand, etc.        :):)

I am not so sure it will be all that easy.  It seems that there is a lot of difference of opinion on certain other subjects:

The franchise tag.  I think the players would like to see it be done away with.

Marijuana testing.  I think the players would like to see it done away with.

The current disciplinary procedures.  I think the players would like to do away with it....and replace it with something perceived as more fair.

Player safety issues.  

But...I suppose the players would back down from all these if the owners throw enough money at them to do so. 

And this extra playoff deal is just one way of doing that. More playoff games, more money for everyone, I guess. 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am not so sure it will be all that easy.  It seems that there is a lot of difference of opinion on certain other subjects:

The current disciplinary procedures.  I think the players would like to do away with it....and replace it with something perceived as more fair.

I still cannot believe the NFLPA signed off on that the last time. There's not a Union contract anywhere else that gives the CEO  the authority to enforce "discipline"

They simply need a better grievance procedure, and eliminate King Roger from the process.

Remember too, that the owners are sending out these news briefs in order to get a head start on public opinion, move the needle in their favor. It's not a good-faith bargaining tactic, but then again you have Goodell, Jerry Jones, Stan Kroenke,v& Robert Kraft at the wheel.

30 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Sweet.... now just add 2 more on top of this one and we'll be playoff bound in no time! 

This "tinkering" seems to be a popular thing in all leagues that is floating around right now........    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/13/will-mindbending-proposed-changes-to-mlbs-playoffs-change-the-game

Major League Baseball may restructure its playoffs to add teams and primetime drama. The changes would pit purists against progressives

The NBA is toying with an in-season tournament, while the NFL devises deals with its players to add a 17th regular-season game. It’s all in the name of increasing revenue streams, and if new rumors are to be believed, you can put Major League Baseball right on that bandwagon: a fattened playoff format could be in the works for the 2022 season.

The timing of such rumors is uncanny. With the new season on the horizon, there’s suddenly a distraction from the Houston Astros’ sign-stealing scandal. And while a change in playoff format doesn’t quite have the sizzle of one of the most profound transgressions in the history of the sport, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred must be delighted that at least some of that negative attention has shifted towards the never-ending battle between baseball purists and progressives. On Monday the news that the playoffs may expand was enough to light up Twitter, with players such as the normally, ahem, shy and retiring Trevor Bauer speaking out. “Your proposal is absurd for too many reasons to type on twitter and proves you have absolutely no clue about baseball. You’re a joke,” he wrote in a tweet directed at Manfred.......... continued in the link.........

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No, that is a different matter.  He was apparently caught drug running.   We are just talking about testing for it on one's system. 

Well see he thought a positive was a good thing and was just trying to ensure that worked out right for him.🙄

Both the 17th game and the 7th playoff team per conference received owners approval today. Bunch more money heading the players way to buy their acceptance. Also some de-emphasis of the preseason games.

Not sure the 17th game is going to be accepted by the players. And I do not think it'll hold the attention of NFL fans in general. Very few playoff spots will still be in question after the 16th game. A more reasonable path to an 18th Week of regular season play would seem to me to give each team 2 Bye weeks during the season.

I guess the added playoff team means one less bye during the 1st round, a/k/a Wildcard Weekend.

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Both the 17th game and the 7th playoff team per conference received owners approval today. Bunch more money heading the players way to buy their acceptance. Also some de-emphasis of the preseason games.

Not sure the 17th game is going to be accepted by the players. And I do not think it'll hold the attention of NFL fans in general. Very few playoff spots will still be in question after the 16th game. A more reasonable path to an 18th Week of regular season play would seem to me to give each team 2 Bye weeks during the season.

I guess the added playoff team means one less bye during the 1st round, a/k/a Wildcard Weekend.

I submitted a diatribe on this earlier (and referenced it again in my Survey).   I said that for the 17th game to be accepted by the fans it would have to be against a permanent  every year"natural rival" game,  likely from the other conference.  Teams in the same city like  Like Jets/Giants.    Rams/Chargers.  Or other natural geographic rivals:    Redskins/Ravens.    Dallas/Houston.  Pittsburgh/Philly.  Tampa/Miami.   Detroit/Cleveland.   I still think Raiders/49ers could apply...unless you want Las Vegas vs. Arizona.    Then the fans would be on board.     Because I think you are right.....just a game against some random other team doesn't create as much interest. 

CBA Negotiation status:

Listening to the TV talking heads in the background.    It seems that  the Executive Committee has voted 6-5 AGAINST recommending the new CBA that was approved by the owners.  Though, other than the 17 game schedule and the addition of 2 new playoff teams.....they are NOT giving any details on, or even having any discussion on some of the other matters that I thought would be at issue in these negotiations/proposals, like:

A. The disciplinary procedures

B. Marijuana testing

C. Status of the  Franchise tag/transition tag. 

And others.   Aside from the scheduling....AND, of course, as always, the division of revenues which may be tweeked somewhat, nothing else but the money seems to even be discussed. 

Further, this rejection by the Executive Committee is not, however, the final say.   The 32 player reps must approve it by a 2/3rd pct.   In other words  like either 21 or 22 of the team reps must approve it.   And thereafter a simple majority of the full membership (all players), must agree to it.

With the exec. committee rejecting it, I don't see any way that this will be approved.

Then the question is:  where do they go from here?   Back to the negotiating table, certainly....but over what issues?   

Like I said, other than the 17 games, I have heard nothing about what the players may object to in the deal that was presented. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

CBA Negotiation status:

Listening to the TV talking heads in the background.    It seems that  the Executive Committee has voted 6-5 AGAINST recommending the new CBA that was approved by the owners.  Though, other than the 17 game schedule and the addition of 2 new playoff teams.....they are NOT giving any details on, or even having any discussion on some of the other matters that I thought would be at issue in these negotiations/proposals, like:

A. The disciplinary procedures

B. Marijuana testing

C. Status of the  Franchise tag/transition tag. 

And others.   Aside from the scheduling....AND, of course, as always, the division of revenues which may be tweeked somewhat, nothing else but the money seems to even be discussed. 

Further, this rejection by the Executive Committee is not, however, the final say.   The 32 player reps must approve it by a 2/3rd pct.   In other words  like either 21 or 22 of the team reps must approve it.   And thereafter a simple majority of the full membership (all players), must agree to it.

With the exec. committee rejecting it, I don't see any way that this will be approved.

Then the question is:  where do they go from here?   Back to the negotiating table, certainly....but over what issues?   

Like I said, other than the 17 games, I have heard nothing about what the players may object to in the deal that was presented. 

Player feedback.....  Yeah, the owners upped the player share of the take 1% but it's still not a 50-50 split.  If it gets rejected by the players, They still have until the start of the new league year to tweak things. If that goes by, this season gets played under the rules of the contract that will expire March 2021.  Anyone's guess how far the owners will be willing to budge on a new contract. For sure a player strike down the road isn't something the owners would want. 

Houston Texans star JJ Watt said he is a "hard no" on the the proposed CBA and San Francisco 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman has encouraged him, as well as others, to take leadership and voice their opinions. The players have expressed they want to see a more even distribution of the money and benefits and want longer health coverage in retirement. Some have proposed an extra bye week and want more focus on their safety rather than extra games. 

But the proposed CBA does take most discipline cases out of Goodell's hands. 

I agree with Gipper- bet the players are going to want testing for weed totally done away with. Though the proposed new standard almost quadruples the level that would be considered a positive...   

Aren't labor relations fun !   Any time that you have a big contract coming up with a lot at stake there is a lot of posturing going on.  Who knows how close they really are and what are the deal breakers.  Some things are put in the talks by both sides as bargaining chips that they know they can throw out in exchange for something they really want.

Some of these things go right down to the last hours before settling.

Meanwhile there's the third party the fans what about what we'd like to see ?  

Who really wants a 17 game season or two byes ?

One thing for sure nobody wants a work stoppage.    <_<

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I said that for the 17th game to be accepted by the fans it would have to be against a permanent  every year"natural rival" game,  likely from the other conference.  Teams in the same city like  Like Jets/Giants.

Problem is, teams move.  (not the Jets or Giants.....but hey, maybe someday, who knows)

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Someone tell Gip that's already the way the 16 game schedule ends... with Division games... where rivalries are found.

This is what you get when you don’t bother to read everyone’s post you make erroneous ignorant statements. I said that the 17th game should be against a natural rivalry from the other conference. Open your ears and eyes and pay attention to what is being said   

On 2/20/2020 at 9:44 PM, Tour2ma said:

As a season ticket holder Tour, I'll  go with  JJ Watt and give a hard pass  on a17th game. The owners are only  interested in  the extra  $$$ they can extort from the fans, and to hell with player  saftey. 

And it's certainly possible to have  Gipper's rivalry game even  with a 16 game schedule.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

As a season ticket holder Tour, I'll  go with  JJ Watt and give a hard pass  on a17th game. The owners are only  interested in  the extra  $$$ they can extort from the fans, and to hell with player  saftey. 

And it's certainly possible to have  Gipper's rivalry game even  with a 16 game schedule.

AMEN!

Mike

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Read all about it at the NFL Inc. (current stuff).......  https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/nfl-ops-honoring-the-game/health-safety

THE TEAM BEHIND THE TEAM

On average, there are 30 healthcare providers at a stadium on game day to give immediate care to players. In conjunction with the NFLPA, the league has added unaffiliated medical personnel and adopted new technology to assist in the identification and review of injuries, with a specific focus on concussions. 

NFL medical professionals follow the step-by-step NFL Concussion Protocol when they are identifying, diagnosing and treating player concussions. The NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee — a board of independent and NFL-affiliated physicians and scientists, including advisors for the NFL Players Association — developed the NFL Game Day Concussion Diagnosis and Management Protocol in 2011. The Concussion Protocol is reviewed each year in an effort to ensure players are receiving care that reflects the most up-to-date medical consensus on the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of concussions. For the 2018 season, additional improvements were made to the Concussion Protocol......... MUCH MORE ABOUT IT IN THE LINK........

20 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

How about going to a 15 or 14 game season for player safety ?   I'm sure that will fly.        :lol:

The more  games you play, the more  chances of getting  hurt. It's  not just concussions.  Of course  they can't  reduce the  number of  games. 

MHO? They could  cut around  100 games out of the MLB schedule.  :)

On 2/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, Tour2ma said:

A more reasonable path to an 18th Week of regular season play would seem to me to give each team 2 Bye weeks during the season.

Any thoughts on this from the ticket holders? Seems like a reasonable compromise to me. I'm surprised it's not getting any mention.

• Adds a week of Prime time games to TV revenue.
  • Gives players added week off during season.

Byes could all be during the middle 8 weeks of the season (starting Week 6) with one AFC and one NFC Division off each of those weeks. Divisions could be paired by those who play each other which they could then do coming out of the first Bye. The week following the 2nd Bye could be reserved for inter-divisional play.