THE BROWNS BOARD

Call of the Wild review

Call of the Wild
20th Century Fox
PG                    200 min

I don’t think I’m going to bother with a spoiler alert this time because so many people were forced to read the 1903 Jack London novel in Junior High School. To be honest I never did but I don’t think that matters as far as the film goes even though the producers changed the original ending among other things. As a matter of fact thanks to a quick perusal of the Cliff Notes you’ll find that the producers actually the changes were widespread, including replacing the murderous antagonists Native Americans with greedy white guys. I guess there is no escaping political correctness. There are a few others which will wind up making the film almost unrecognizable from the book but unless you’re a purist who cares? 
Buck the Dog is a big jolly pet of a well-to-do family; he’s has never known discomfort or hardship until he’s kidnapped by some ner do wells who sell dogs to pull sleds in the Alaskan wilderness. Purchased and put into service by a kindly mail carrier Buck earns the friendship and respect of the other dogs on the team as well as his new owner. The bad news is that when the mail sled is put out of commission the team is sold to a real bastard, Hal (Dan Stevens) who uses them on his quest for gold. That’s where Buck meets John Thornton (Harrison Ford) a hermit seeking to escape the sadness of his life. Eventually the three of them will cross paths again and Buck will move on to another chapter of his life as Thornton’s friend and companion. Of course the conflict between Hal and John isn’t over and will eventually come to a head. In the meantime however, it starts to become clear to John that Buck has grown and evolved. He’s no longer a pampered pet but having dealt with the rigors of nature including making the acquaintance of a hot female timber wolf, the dog has finally found a home. 
Lots of lessons and morals here including overcoming hardship, the importance of individuality, finding one’s true path in life, loyalty and facing harsh reality. I was thinking of this could have been a Disney movie until I remembered the Disney recently purchased 20th Century Fox so…
As to the technical end, the film did have a giant budget and as far as I can tell all the dogs and other animals are CGI. Though it is noticeable it’s never really a problem and I forgot about it in about 15 minutes as I became taken in by the film.  And the ending? Sure it’s bittersweet but not soul-crushing.
This is a true family film that could be enjoyed by all ages. It’s not a landmark but certainly a worthwhile outing.
B
PS every once in awhile I like to do a shout-out to some of my favorite theaters. If you are ever in Stark County I suggest you look up the Cinemark Bistro down near Belden Village Mall, nice screens, good people, super comfortable seats and you can even have dinner while you watch the movie. Tell them Westside Steve sent you.

• Thanks 1

When i saw the TV previews of.. a boat, a river, dogs & with the great views of Alaska.. It was a must see for me, on a Big Screen..Movie bonus was... I am Mailman.. Wife & I, and 3 wildlife loving daughters had a great afternoon checking this film out.. It's a solid B.. Enjoy 🍿  

• Thanks 1