THE BROWNS BOARD

Schedule Speculation

The Gipper

I am hearing the following speculation concerning the Browns schedule:

Their season will begin with the normal Sunday game on September  13th.   (KC as defending champs will begin play Thurs. 9/10)

Then....because the league will be celebrating its  100th Anniversary with the special  induction of the "Hall of Fame  Centennial Class"   (the regular HOF induction will take place in August as usual).....on Friday September 18th....   they will want to have the Thursday night game the previous day ..Sept.  17th,  to be played in Cleveland basically as part and parcel of that special  HOF ceremony.   

Of course, that is not to say that the  opening game on 9/13  would be a home game...but it would be nice for  football fans to be able to be here for that week.....to take in 2 games plus the HOF ceremonies.   So I guess we shall see sometime Mid April if that all does come to pass. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hall-of-fame-2020-two-separate-induction-ceremonies-on-tap-for-centennial-class/

The largest induction class in the history of the Pro Football Hall of Fame is about to be part of another milestone. This year, for the first time ever, there will be two separate induction ceremonies honoring the 10 senior inductees, five modern-day inductees, three contributors and two coaches that are part of this year's induction class.

The modern-day inductees, coaches, and contributors will be honored in Canton, Ohio on Saturday, August 8. The 10 senior inductees will be part of a special centennial induction ceremony that will be held on Friday, Sept. 18. Both ceremonies will take place at Tom Benson Stadium.

Tickets for the enshrinement ceremony will go on sale on Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 10 a.m. ET, with prices ranging from $29 to $175. The annual Hall of Fame Game will be played on Thursday, August 6. Ticket information and the two teams that will be participating in this year's game will be announced soon.

Semi-related:

I am predicting that the  new CBA will pass.    So, questions:

A. When would they begin the "7 teams in each conference making the playoff rule"?   Would that be this year?

B. When would the 17 game schedule begin?  I assume not this year, since the schedule is likely almost done with a 16 game schedule.

C. How are they supposed to determine the Home/Away situation?   With  17 games.....some teams will have  9 home and 8 away, and some will have 8 home and 9 away.   And does anyone know what the factors are in how that 17th game will be matched up?

Right now, we have essentially perfect symmetry:    8 home/8 away games.  Play your own division foes twice each, home and away (I am sure that will not change).   Play every team in one of the other divisions in your conference....and play every team in a division on the other Conference.   Play the two teams in your conference that finished in the same slot as you from the divisions you are not playing a round robin  (example:  that is why Browns play both Jets and Raiders,  plus play each  AFCS team. 

Who, under the scheduling formula will that 17th game be against?    (I have given my proposal about the "permanent rival" game.but I doubt the NFL was smart enough to consider that. 

Here is the Browns opponents this coming year.  Schedule TBA:

C. How are they supposed to determine the Home/Away situation?   With  17 games.....some teams will have  9 home and 8 away, and some will have 8 home and 9 away.   And does anyone know what the factors are in how that 17th game will be matched up?

Here is one possible solution:    Have that 17th game be  a "Neutral Site" game!  It would not surprise me with the league's desire to "grow the game internationally, that that is what they could/or should do

The games in London, Mexico.....They could have a game in a couple of Canadian cities:  Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver.  Japan?  Spain?  Germany?  

Why not? 

Or, even neutral site games here in Non NFL cities?  (less likely...no home revenues from parking concessions etc. )

I believe the seven team playoff can and will begin right away. Three games each Saturday and Sunday on Wildcard Weekend and two games each Saturday and Sunday on Divisional Weekend - which is no change, obviously. 

I believe the 17 game regular season will commence in 2021 and will shave the preseason down to three games. In the seasons when teams get nine home games, I predict they teams will play one home preseason game. When they have eight home games they will play two preseason games at home. 10 total home games between preseason and regular season and part of the symmetry mentioned is maintained. 

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

• Home..... besides our normal division opponents not too tough a schedule H/A. Maybe 6 wins plus 3+ division (subject to many changes)?
  • Houston Texans
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Washington Redskins
  • Las Vegas Raiders ......this year's draft city vs next year's draft city ?
  • IF they do play that Thursday night just before the Centennial Hall of Fame Induction ceremony as part of those proceedings....which of these home opponents would be the right team to play that game? (I personally would NOT want it to be a division game. 

2 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Will there be 2 bye weeks with 17 games?

One year they had two bye weeks and it was hated by players and fans and a nightmare for weather cancelled or postponed games.......which happened.

My vote NO on both 17 games and two bye weeks.    (oh possibly for sale at the right price. :lol:)

9 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

One year they had two bye weeks and it was hated by players and fans and a nightmare for weather cancelled or postponed games.......which happened.

My vote NO on both 17 games and two bye weeks.    (oh possibly for sale at the right price. :lol:)

There WILL be 17 games.   The CBA will pass.  I am just wondering why it is taking so damned long for them to vote on it.  But, I agree:  No to the 2 byes.   Again, this is all info that has not come out.   The players and owners only seem to worry about how to split their billions...something fans don't and can't give a rats ass about.    But something that does affect the fans, like these scheduling matters, they give short attention to. 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

There WILL be 17 games.   The CBA will pass.  I am just wondering why it is taking so damned long for them to vote on it.  But, I agree:  No to the 2 byes.   Again, this is all info that has not come out.   The players and owners only seem to worry about how to split their billions...something fans don't and can't give a rats ass about.    But something that does affect the fans, like these scheduling matters, they give short attention to. 

From a deal breaker to a "show me the money" argument on how to cut the Benjamin's pie ?

I still can't believe it's a good idea...... and the bidding starts at $xxx,xxx.   :lol:

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Gip, not so sure the new CBA will pass. Plenty of big name players- Watt, Rodgers are dead against it. I believe they have until Thursday for an up or down vote- a simple majority yes, and it's in. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105492/article/players-weighing-in-on-their-stances-with-cba-vote

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gip, not so sure the new CBA will pass. Plenty of big name players- Watt, Rodgers are dead against it. I believe they have until Thursday for an up or down vote- a simple majority yes, and it's in. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105492/article/players-weighing-in-on-their-stances-with-cba-vote

I hear that a few of the high priced players are against it.....but in this agreement apparently it gives a huge salary boost to the rank and file NFL players who make up 80% of the league. In fact, I am hearing that there may even be quite a lot of resentment by those rank and file against the high priced players because of their stance. 

On 3/6/2020 at 11:35 PM, The Gipper said:

Assuming that we shore up the OL....and bring in enough 'real' football players so that we can field a competitive defense.....then we CAN win 10 games this season.  Of course we could go 6-10 again.