THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is Better?

The Gipper

Here are some positional matchups for players from Browns history. Tell us who you think was the better player (and why if you choose):

CB Frank Minniefield or Hanford Dixon

C Tom DeLeone or Mike Baab

OG Gene Hickerson or Joe DeLamelleure (both HOF)

LB Chip Banks or Clay Matthews

WR Gary Collins or Dave Logan

DT Michael Dean Perry or Jerry Sherk

FS Thom Darden or Eric Turner

LT Dick Shafrath or Doug Dieken

KR Bobby Mitchell or Eric Metcalf

RB Marion Motley or Leroy Kelley (both HOF)

QB Brian Sipe or Bernie Kosar

Let us know what you think

Guest TheJokersWILD
Here are some positional matchups for players from Browns history. Tell us who you think was the better player (and why if you choose):

I used to watch them play. Eric Turner was an absolute head hunter RIP Eric . Wish we had a Michael Dean Perry and Clay Matthews today in thier prime to play in our defense.

CB Frank Minniefield or Hanford Dixon................Dixon

C Tom DeLeone or Mike Baab...........................Babb

OG Gene Hickerson or Joe DeLamelleure (both HOF).................Hickerson

LB Chip Banks or Clay Matthews..................Matthews

WR Gary Collins or Dave Logan........................Collins

DT Michael Dean Perry or Jerry Sherk...................Sherk

FS Thom Darden or Eric Turner......................Darden

LT Dick Shafrath or Doug Dieken.............Shafrath

KR Bobby Mitchell or Eric Metcalf................Mitchell

RB Marion Motley or Leroy Kelley (both HOF)............Motley

QB Brian Sipe or Bernie Kosar............Kosar

CB Frank Minniefield or Hanford Dixon Franklin was a badass run stopping corner. Hanford gets more pub because he was a first rounder and Joe Cleveland and Frank came with no fanfare from the USFL, but I feel Frank was better all around. Neither could catch or look the hell out. I remember Hanford struggled as a rook and talked about how Stallworth schooled him. He never bit on his shit talking and taught him real quick not to look back at the QB. Stallworth is a legit HOFer, Swann is a phony.

C Tom DeLeone or Mike Baab My throwback is actually a Deleone jersey I made. He was a tough Hombre and Baab was slightly overrated to be honest. Deleone's little brother Jim was so tough he started at center at OSU at about 205. Yes, I said 205.

OG Gene Hickerson or Joe DeLamelleure (both HOF) Never saw Hick but Joe D was the baddest lineman I ever saw for the Browns before JT. The guy was a blast to watch go one on one in Lakeland, he just smothered guys. Total and complete stud.

LB Chip Banks or Clay Matthews Not even close, while Banks was super talented, Clay was the man for a long, long time.

WR Gary Collins or Dave Logan Loved the Logan fade, but even though I never saw Collins he was a great player who was also a great punter. Logan was a stud all around athlete, but it sucks he calls the Denver games now and has for years.

DT Michael Dean Perry or Jerry Sherk Damn near flipped a coin for this one. Sherk was a total bad to the bone dude, even after almost dying from staph. However, MDP was on another level with his one gap ability. People forget he played for years with a gimpy knee, too. I thought he would take a handoff from the QB at some point.

FS Thom Darden or Eric Turner Eroc is the popular answer. A high pick who had a huge year in '94, but Darden is an all time great. He played backer at Michigan and holds a ton of Browns records. The hardest hitter the Browns have ever had and an interception machine. He became an agent after his playing days and knocked the Wonderlic right out of Pat McInally.

LT Dick Shafrath or Doug Dieken I'll go with the Douger, but I swear they were the same guy.

KR Bobby Mitchell or Eric Metcalf Mitchell has some sweet highlights, but seriously, has anybody ever been as pretty as Metcalf to watch? His dad Terry was a stud in the Greg Pruitt mold, too.

RB Marion Motley or Leroy Kelley (both HOF) Flipped a coin. Leroy propagated from a great line and continuity, but Motley was a legend.

QB Brian Sipe or Bernie Kosar I'm not answering this. Sipe was my hero growing up after Greg Pruitt, but what Berns did is hard to beat. Sipe lit it up though. Both really cool guys who get the whole Ctown thing. Brian Sipe was a catcher on his Little League World Series Team. I remember Berns shitting bricks his first snap. I was at the game watching him warmup when Danielson got dinged and then he promptly fumbled away his first snap. Makes you appreciate what Quinn did against San Fran his first time out even more.

Let us know what you think.. I just did and thoroughly enjoyed it.

WR Gary Collins or Dave Logan Too close to call

DT Michael Dean Perry or Jerry Sherk This one is darn near IMPOSSIBLE to call!

KR Bobby Mitchell or Eric Metcalf Mitchell better all around, but we're talking kick returner here.

RB Marion Motley or Leroy Kelley (both HOF) versatility wins out

Easiest for me was Clay over Chip....not even close.

WR & DT........4 VERY SPECIAL players.....all underrated too.

Mike

Mike you're showing your age.

Yeah, I am...LOL. The joy of it is that I got to see all these players, although my memories of Motley are limited to film as I was only 6 when he left the Browns. There sure are some nice players on that list, but I could make a good argument to have Cribbs, Rogers, & Thomas listed too.

Mike

Good topic. i'll try to go down the entire list when i get a chance. However, a couple of quick comments.............

Frank Minnifield was the best corner that i've ever seen (any team). He was glue on recievers, he was a student of the game, an on field coach, and the best tackler in that era. He never missed.

Chips Banks was our best linebacker. Too bad he had so many internal/character demons. He changed the game when he was on the field.

I guess I should weigh in with my opinion on my own post. The ultimate point with these WAS to make it a tough choice because these players were so evenly matched.

CB Frank Minniefield or Hanford Dixon....Dixon, I believe he had just a little bit more versatility than Frank.

C Tom DeLeone or Mike Baab...Baab, purely on the fact that he was way bigger than DeLeone and could a little better job of clearing out the middle of the line because of it. (If it was just based on heart and guts, TD would probably get the nod.)

OG Gene Hickerson or Joe DeLamelleure (both HOF)...Hickerson, primarily because he played his whole career here while Joe D. only played part of his career here...plus I guess I personally will choose the lead blocker for Jim Brown over the lead blocker for OJ (though obviously both are HOF type players)

LB Chip Banks or Clay Matthews...this one really was the easiest, based on productivity. On pure talent, Banks was probably right up there with Lawrence Taylor, but he failed to live up to innate talent level. Clay never did that. He probably vastly exceeded his innate talent level.

WR Gary Collins or Dave Logan...Collins... was the more productive receiver by a wide margin

DT Michael Dean Perry or Jerry Sherk..yea, probably the toughest choice. I will go with MDP...no, Sherk...no MDP,no...AAAAGGH...Final choice: Sherk by a c**t hair.

FS Thom Darden or Eric Turner...Darden, by far a better cover guy and interceptor. E-roc a better hitter, but Darden was no slouch. Turner's career cut short here also a factor.

LT Dick Shafrath or Doug Dieken...Shafrath...he was the master, Dieken was the apprentice (though Lou Groza was the guru to both.)

KR Bobby Mitchell or Eric Metcalf....Mitchell... probably was the better overall player, though less than half of his career was with the Browns.

RB Marion Motley or Leroy Kelley (both HOF)...I will go with Kelley, perhaps because I think he was a little more versatile, plus Motley was even before my time so I may not have the same appreciation for him as I do for Kelley.

QB Brian Sipe or Bernie Kosar...Kosar was simply the better "winner" and sometimes you really just have to take that into account.

Archived