THE BROWNS BOARD

Status AFCN as of 3-10-20

Icecube

Yes, I know, we still have free agency and the draft to go through but I wanted to discuss the current landscape of the div. for the heck of it. 

4. Bengals. I don't care who they draft at QB (Joe) or how good he actually is, or if their coach ends up being real; they are garbage for 2020. And just knowing Mike Brown is the end-all decision maker probably ensures they will keep sucking. They have a few good players, but massive holes all over. And it appears Green just doesn't want to waste the rest of his career there. Ask Carson Palmer about how being in Cinci destroys your career. 

3. Browns. This is a real toss up between Pitt and Browns here. So many variables. To start, they at least have HOPE pf a coach who won't be incredible over his head. we don't know how Stef will be as a head coach, OR how much he can alter the cracked out Mr. Jimmy environment, but at least there is some hope that the organization takes a few notches up compared to the hot mess that is Freddy (rightful place is a position coach, not even a coordinator). With a FA signing and some draft picks, the OL could be whipped into shape. They should be fine at the skill positions (even if they can't trade OBJ) and, we know Baker can play way better than 2019, because he did so a year previous, as a rookie. Baker admitted that last season "humbled him" and I feel like he will take things more serious, which is much needed, especially since he is in the leadership role. I don't think it's out of the question that they could upgrade by 3-5 wins. 

2. Pitt. They got potential massive holes. But it mostly will come down to whether Ben can play or not. We already saw that neither Mason or Duck are legit NFL starters. It's either Ben or 7-9. IF everything goes right, they COULD contend. D is much improved, to the point of a top 5 unit. And, the WR unit is not nearly as bad as most think. A healthy JuJu, Washington, DJ is formidable. RB would be fine IF Conner can stay healthy, but he can't. They have less room for error than most. They need an awful lot to go right to matter. The OL should be above average.  D might have to overcome loses of Dupree and Hargrave. They might just have too many thin areas to pull off a winning season. 

1. Balt. Sure, sure, Jackson may not be an MVP this season, but the team has proven it can remain competitive and remain div. champ. Their D remains solid, rushing game is prolific, need to improve pure passing. But all things considered, they have the best coaching and carry themselves like winners. I'd be surprised if they don't win the div. again. They will probably add a RB, WR and OL. Jackson may not still be a factor rushing the ball in 10 years, but he surely still can now. 

Pittsburgh has the over the cap issue someone pointed out before....so who knows who besides Dupree they may have to dump.

Baltimore just lost Yanda, which does not help them. 

But they did both have superior coaching last year to the Browns. 

Hopefully we finally, finally have a real NFL coach who can do things right around here. 

I had thought coming off Bakers good rookie year, we were going to see some good Mahomes/Mayfield playoff battles.  I'm not really sure we are anywhere close to that now......in fact, the AFC is kind of in a weakened state right now......wich should allow for KC to dominate the conference for a while.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Pat Mahomo said:

I had thought coming off Bakers good rookie year, we were going to see some good Mahomes/Mayfield playoff battles.  I'm not really sure we are anywhere close to that now......in fact, the AFC is kind of in a weakened state right now......wich should allow for KC to dominate the conference for a while.

A little weakened. But KC and Balt. ain't no jokes. TN. Houston. And you know, 1-2 other teams will rise up: Bills, Las Vegas???