THE BROWNS BOARD

No Other Sports Going On

The Gipper

12 minutes ago, Nero said:

I hope you know why it was called the Spanish Flu, because if not you're loading a gun ready to backfire. 

I saw documentary on television that believes that the so called 'spanish flu' actually started at an army base in the United states during WW1.

6 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I saw documentary on television that believes that the so called 'spanish flu' actually started at an army base in the United states during WW1.

First cases were in mainland US, and it ended up being called the Spanish Flu because during the WWI it was the only country reporting it's evolution, as other countries taking part in the war almost didn't give any notice about it. 

14 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

PBS had a great show about this WWI era pandemic influenza.  

This is what our government and those across the world are trying to combat now.

51 minutes ago, Nero said:

I hope you know why it was called the Spanish Flu, because if not you're loading a gun ready to backfire. 

Actually, no I don't know why it was called that.   Perhaps the outbreak started there?  

Or, maybe they had an "Inquisition" to determine the cause of it? 

sGUd6L.gif

18 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

People have mentioned Golf is still going on. It's about the only sport I can think of that wouldn't be weird without a crowd. Hell probably better for the golfers themselves to concentrate.

To be honest, I believe the women's tours and the Seniors tours play with very little crowds.   Not that they would not like more, they just don't get them.

22 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

People have mentioned Golf is still going on. It's about the only sport I can think of that wouldn't be weird without a crowd. Hell probably better for the golfers themselves to concentrate.

The Masters is Postponed.  Golf ain't goin' on.  And NASCAR finally joined in so as not to be the only red necks active.

-  I hate going to golf events.  You go stand down the fairway where you figure the T-shots will land.....get right against the ropes....great view....and then an entourage of people Inside the ropes come and stand right in friggin' front of you. 

Schools are gonna be closed where I live.  My daughter has 2 boys.  Four and Six.  She's gotta go to work.  Fortunately my wife (Mrs. Wife) is retired, and we live 2 houses away.   (but Maaan, they make a mess of the house before they go home - it's work - but we love 'em to the moon and back)

I'm thinking all of this is the right thing to do.  To try and flatten the curve....because as has been said, it could overwhelm the hospitals.  (my son works in one....today he said that everyone has to wear a mask now)  

21 hours ago, Orion said:

The Masters is Postponed.  Golf ain't goin' on.  And NASCAR finally joined in so as not to be the only red necks active.

-  I hate going to golf events.  You go stand down the fairway where you figure the T-shots will land.....get right against the ropes....great view....and then an entourage of people Inside the ropes come and stand right in friggin' front of you. 

Schools are gonna be closed where I live.  My daughter has 2 boys.  Four and Six.  She's gotta go to work.  Fortunately my wife (Mrs. Wife) is retired, and we live 2 houses away.   (but Maaan, they make a mess of the house before they go home - it's work - but we love 'em to the moon and back)

I'm thinking all of this is the right thing to do.  To try and flatten the curve....because as has been said, it could overwhelm the hospitals.  (my son works in one....today he said that everyone has to wear a mask now)  

Fortunately I have a nice boss. My young twin girls are off school for almost a month and my employer is letting me work from home for the next month with the kids. I'm a computer repair tech so I can remote desktop to work for virus repairs/installs during store hours. But I have to go in after hours and pick up peoples laptops/computers to handle hardware stuff from. It's probably longer hours and more work overall but at least the virus removal stuff is mostly automated. Just wish those assholes in the WH that denied emergency paid medical leave in case me or wife get sick would stop being selfish pieces of shit. We have a week long trip planned for Vegas in early April, but if she even has an abnormal cough (Nurse), she has to take all her PTO which is 14 days (no unpaid leave) for leaving the state, end of story. She maybe even be possibly be quarantined at work. Planned this in April of last year so we may be out hundreds of dollars if we can't get refunds and that's if we don't go. Shit sucks, this current administration sucks, all of this sucks. I want my sports!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

no other sports? Fishing season real soon, camping season real soon, campfires around the firepit season already...

still thinking about a small camper for out west - we love camping in our tent , but not at100 degrees F....

air conditioning would be good in real hot weather....

the other sport is groundhog skeet. That's a team sport.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

no other sports? Fishing season real soon, camping season real soon, campfires around the firepit season already...

still thinking about a small camper for out west - we love camping in our tent , but not at100 degrees F....

Great way to wait out this thing !!!!

Meanwhile we have an 14' x 22' covered deck on the back of our house with cable TV, phone, stereo, all of the comforts of home overlooking our big backyard.

Formerly used for NFL, MLB and other sports but nice for watching movies in the afternoon and evening.

A big 3 burner Nat Gas grill for grilling steaks, chicken, ribs, whatever and even installed a whole house backup generator in 2018 to rough it out in bad weather.

Ahhhhhh, self quarantine isn't so bad after all.    :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Fishing and camping are not sports....unless you compete on like the Bass Masters tour. 

Shooting certainly can be...if you are in some kind of competition.  

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Wrong again...

Yes, you are. 

Oh, wait,   you're still mad because I got it wrong that I thought Brandon Weeden didn't start that first game of  his rookie season. 

So, you are right....I was wrong once.  And you have never gotten over it. 

17 hours ago, Nero said:

First cases were in mainland US, and it ended up being called the Spanish Flu because during the WWI it was the only country reporting it's evolution, as other countries taking part in the war almost didn't give any notice about it. 

Intentionally... none of the warring countries wanted to show weakness to their foe(s). So their own populations paid the price.

One of the bigger prices was paid by Philadelphia after allowing a scheduled parade to happen. The spike in transmission rate and deaths was one of the biggest in the States.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Intentionally... none of the warring countries wanted to show weakness to their foe(s). So their own populations paid the price.

One of the bigger prices was paid by Philadelphia after allowing a scheduled parade to happen. The spike in transmission rate and deaths was one of the biggest in the States.

Ever watch those old B&W WWI or WWII war shows, there was some brutal "stuff" going on there.   Especially the WWI trench warfare followed by the packed troop ships going home. Perfect for creating and spreading a pandemic virus.

We finally are paying attention to history and trying not to repeat it......I hope.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not too much on WWI, but I did see the PBS show on the 1918 flu you mentioned. It's where I got the info I posted above.

In the WWI footage our doughboys were packed into the ships like sardines in a hot can which spread like wildfire and then they went home.

BTW the 1919 influenza outbreak was much worse than the current one except that in the present one it is new, nobody has ever had it before, no antibodies have been built up.

The only good thing about this is that hopefully we will be more educated about airborne and other diseases in the future.

21 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Ever watch those old B&W WWI or WWII war shows, there was some brutal "stuff" going on there.   Especially the WWI trench warfare followed by the packed troop ships going home. Perfect for creating and spreading a pandemic virus.

We finally are paying attention to history and trying not to repeat it......I hope.

I mean, they were using mustard gas etc.   Isn't that  a form of biological warfare? 

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/coronavirus-and-the-sun-a-lesson-from-the-1918-influenza-pandemic-509151dc8065

Oddly enough l read this just yesterday about the benefits of sunlight and fresh air relative to both 1918 and today. Viruses don’t fare so well in heat and sunlight. Certainly not modern medicine, but cheap and available some days.

19 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

chemical.

And a worldwide ban after WWI never to use again....... unless you are a dictator from Iran or other bad guys.

......or a former dead one from Iraq.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

It snowed in here  NEOhio today as well.

It IS still winter you know. 

It was sleeting here in Wv today

It was 71 Thursday