THE BROWNS BOARD

young people getting corona virus, too

calfoxwc

everybody has to be careful right now.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/younger-adults-comprise-big-portion-of-coronavirus-hospitalizations-in-us/ar-BB11nGEB?li=BBnb7Kz

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I did a lot of crazy shit when I was young. Even though Woody won't fully admitted I think that a few decades of life change your ideas about a lot of things.

WSS

They do?

Well I guess I did sell my Honda VFR 800 when I hit the ripe young age of 60. 🏍️ Skydiving I gave up early though. Around 25.

But I still like to bicycle down the busy street to go through the quick lanes at the grocer without a mask. Has wide shoulders on the road though.🚴‍♂️ LOL!😂

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I did a lot of crazy shit when I was young. Even though Woody won't fully admitted I think that a few decades of life change your ideas about a lot of things.

WSS

No, I've never said that... I've said:

1) You aren't become conservative on a lot of issues as you age. The views themselves are just become conservative. Mostly social issues. Young people today aren't going to all of a sudden be against gay marriage in 40 years. But there will be new social issues they'll be to the right of because people inherently don't like change. 

2) I don't think being older inherently makes you right. It is a cop out to say "well you just don't get it". That's someone that can't defend their point and is out of ideas. A person should be judged by the quality of their idea and the evidence they provide, not their age. 

People will definitely change their mind, on some things, as they grow older. A lot of your personality and values lock in around your late 20s tho

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I think that is more of an indictment of some younger people here being soft. I work with a few asthmatics who developed it in their 20s. Bear in mind, all over weight. 

Look at the article. The "young people" range is from 20 to 54 and 20 to 44. That top end is young only to boomers. 

Also.... Hey. I have asthma. I've always had it. Bad allergies too (related). But I'd like to go on the record to say I'm in shape haha.

Actually just bought a treadmill because everything is closed. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Look at the article. The "young people" range is from 20 to 54 and 20 to 44. That top end is young only to boomers. 

Also.... Hey. I have asthma. I've always had it. Bad allergies too (related). But I'd like to go on the record to say I'm in shape haha.

I did say some. Not a total broad brush haha.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I think that is more of an indictment of some younger people here being soft. I work with a few asthmatics who developed it in their 20s. Bear in mind, all over weight. 

Not just "here"...

Birx raised the issue in yesterday's Corona Presser.

Millenials in Italy and France have started falling very ill in alarming numbers. Still studying the whys of this, but it is alarming news.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Also.... Hey. I have asthma. I've always had it. Bad allergies too (related).

No asthma here, but seasonal allergy sufferer... source of my only real concern with this virus.

When the mold spore flies every Spring, if it has been a particularly wet Spring, then odds are that I am going to get a sinus infection. And if I get a sinus infection then it's a race to arrest it before it gets to my lungs.

So if I do end up contracting Covid-19, I like my odds, but I'd rather not go into that fight with an upper respiratory infection.

Have I told you about my friend, Flo? Full name is Flonase... still expensive even OTC, but now WalMart has a generic at about 60% the price.

I was told I had asthma really bad when I was young. Always had inhalers with me and I got shots once a week

At about 14 I stopped getting the shots and never used an inhaler again

I always suspected it was a scam by doctors to get my parents insurance money

6 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

I was told I had asthma really bad when I was young. Always had inhalers with me and I got shots once a week

I mean.... Was there a difference in how you were breathing with and without the meds?

Or that blowing test where they check your lungs. I suck at that

2 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Yeah mine went away at puberty so that checks out.

3 hours ago, Vambo said:

Really bad article... states he "has contracted" without making it clear that this is the first confirmed case.

As an age group the very young seem to have been less afflicted, but that does not mean they've been less exposed or less infected.

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Or that blowing test where they check your lungs. I suck at that

Bad Coaching?

KEEP PUSHING! KEEP PUSHING! KEEP PUSHING!

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Not just "here"...

Millenials in Italy and France have started falling very ill in alarming numbers. Still studying the whys of this, but it is alarming news.

I'm wondering how out of line those numbers are but if so do you suppose it's due to the flaunting of precaution up until the point the disease was out of hand? And if it's true that 80% of people with the virus are merely carriers have the Millennials spread it to the Boomers? And if so is there anything any word being done along the lines of age? I would guess not. But it's just a guess.

WSS

On 3/20/2020 at 5:24 AM, Westside Steve said:

I'm wondering how out of line those numbers are but if so do you suppose it's due to the flaunting of precaution up until the point the disease was out of hand? And if it's true that 80% of people with the virus are merely carriers have the Millennials spread it to the Boomers? And if so is there anything any word being done along the lines of age? I would guess not. But it's just a guess.

I'd agree that early comments about the young being less affected made a group that already feels bulletproof in life even more so with Covid-19. So continuing to gather prior to the issuance of pre-shelter orders abroad and here had a good chance of increasing the % infected in their age group dramatically.

So even with the lower lethality rate of 0.2% for their age group, the surge in serious cases atop those from other age groups just overloads the system all that.

As for your question...not sure, Steve, but I imagine that it's impossible to eliminate lower risk groups crossing paths with the higher risk ones. I mean we all have to eat.

At least most of us here have access to residence dedicated bathrooms. Some of the bigger cities may still have apartment buildings with facilities down the hall. I suspect that is more common in Europe than here.... more common in the Middle East than Europe. No idea about other regions.

Why mention the bathroom thing? Glad you asked...

Skimmed an article on CDC site last from the Chinese last week when we were discussing tests' ability to detect the virus in the asymptomatic infected. It related how a  nasal swab test of infants failed to detect the virus, but a different test of their feces detected the virus.

So don't volunteer for any diaper changes 'til further notice... ;)

... and no showering with millennials either...

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2020 at 8:36 AM, MLD Woody said:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/virus-rebels-from-france-to-florida-flout-lockdown-practices

Now back to your regularly scheduled crying about Trump.

WSS

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/olympic-swimmer-describes-battle-with-coronavirus-worst-ive-ever-endured?fbclid=IwAR3yJDyA-A9pRilxw1ktRFIZhRbFKQZKKVKnn2a9tVlsVd8y3iR8GpcoZDM

On 3/19/2020 at 6:12 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

My grandson came by it through his maternal grandfather and his mother and despite being in great shape has had to be hospitalized twice as a child. We keep O2 in canisters and an oximeter at home at all times as well as emergency "puffers". He seems to have grown out of it since the last time was age 10 and now he's turning 12. But we are being extra careful with this damn virus thing.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2020 at 5:37 PM, Tour2ma said:

Not just "here"...

They never didn't fall ill. They fell ill in China too. It's just that their mortality rate isn't very high