THE BROWNS BOARD

Sen. Richard Burr sold roughly $1.6M in stock before coronavirus crippled stock market, report finds

Vambo

Sen. Richard Burr sold roughly $1.6M in stock before coronavirus crippled stock market, report finds

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr, R-N.C., may have cashed in before the stock market was in free fall due to the coronavirus outbreak, according to a new report.

ProPublica alleged on Thursday that Burr "sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $582,029 and $1.56 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 29 separate transactions" in filings listed in the U.S. Senate Financial Disclosures website as he was regularly being briefed on the rising threat of the virus.

Senator reportedly sold stock after closed-door coronavirus briefing
'DUMPED MILLIONS'

Sen. Kelly Loeffler, R-Ga., has become the second lawmaker to have reportedly sold stock weeks before the coronavirus outbreak triggered a stock market downfall.

The Daily Beast reported Thursday that Loeffler sold stock that was owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the same day she sat in on a closed-door coronavirus briefing as a member of the Senate Health Committee with the Trump administration, with Dr. Anthonly Fauci in attendance.

According to the report, she sold stock in Resideo Technologies "worth between $50,001 and $100,000." The company's stock price "has fallen by more than half" since January.

I am no fan of RINO Burr but there was already enough evidence by Feb 13 this coronavirus had the potential to be a serious crisis. I have never stockpiled supplies in my life but by that time I had stockpiled everything the CDC recommended for a flu pandemic. If owned stock I would have sold it.

I don't know how anyone could have watched the leaked videos coming out of Wuhan China and not have been worried. Then when the reports came in that a person could have this virus for a number of days without symptoms while spreading it to others it seemed to me like this was going to almost be mission impossible to contain it.

I went back to earlier thread about this virus and some of us were posting in late January how serious of a crisis this flu could be.

On January 27 I posted that I saw that surgical masks were selling out and were in short supply.

Just checking I went to Walmart to see what is going on with surgical masks. Out of stock. Has the run on supplies needed for a flu pandemic already started?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Medical-Surgical-Face-Masks-500-Masks/104790359

Medical Surgical Face Masks (500 Masks)

Average rating:4out of5stars, based on1reviews1 reviews

Here is why I would have sold stock and gotten out of the market.

Expert says coronavirus spreads before symptoms show as whistleblower claims 90,000 affected in China

https://7news.com.au/news/health/expert-says-coronavirus-spreads-before-symptoms-show-as-whistleblower-claims-90000-affected-in-china-c-666302

What this means is all of the screenings and taking of temperatures etc...done at airports are not effective in keeping out this flu virus from coming into the United States.

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

The good news is, according to a friend of mine who's an RN, most of the people who are wearing these things aren't doing it properly anyway so they're useless those instances.

WSS

I saw that too. I read where the surgical masks probably work best for a sick person to wear to keep from spreading virus vs. someone wearing a surgical mask to keep from getting the virus.

Two more senators also sold after the briefing, Dem Feinstein and Rep Inhofe. This is something I think we can all agree on. Either impeach them all (yes, you can do that to Senators) or prosecute them all for insider trading or both. Nothing worse than corrupt officeholders who reportedly hold the public trust.

And I would not stop there because it looks as though some or all may have tipped off wealthy doners. Go after them all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/senators-sold-stock-after-coronavirus-briefings-in-january

21 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I'm pretty sure that would not be considerered insider trading.  He just used his head.

The implication was that they got detailed information about how this would affect the nation including the stock market. That makes it insider information. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The implication was that they got detailed information about how this would affect the nation including the stock market. That makes it insider information. 

I think they should be investigated but I don't want to see anyone either democrat or republican get railroaded such as those calling for immediate resignations.

https://www.redstate.com/elizabeth-vaughn/2020/03/20/1-2-3-4-senators-dump-stock-after-wuhan-virus-briefing-its-not-as-simple-as-that/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

That would be speculation.  

And an impeachment inquiry would find out exactly what it was and who else may be involved. Impeachment does not mean guilty as trumpy continues to boast. But it does mean you can investigate thoroughly and conduct hearings.

48 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And an impeachment inquiry would find out exactly what it was and who else may be involved. Impeachment does not mean guilty as trumpy continues to boast. But it does mean you can investigate thoroughly and conduct hearings.

Ag, you didn't  need any insider information to  know  the market was going to  take a  serious  hit. You couldn't count  up the number of  private investors who  saw this  coming  and  dumped  their  stocks. 

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Just for the record because all this virus shit has been pretty well common knowledge is it illegal and is it Insider?

Lot of circumstantial stuff around all of the Senators, but Burr is the one in the most jeopardy.

While he publicly said in a published Op-Ed in I believe February that "we are better prepared.." etc. for the virus if it ca"me here, he was recorded telling a group of fatcat types that:

RICHARD BURR: "There is one thing that I can tell you about this. It is much more aggressive in its transition than anything we have seen in recent history. It's probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic."

That was information he was supposedly given in a classified briefing.

And it is that dissemination of "material, non-public information" that hangs folks for insider trading.

The above quote is from a transcript. The actual audio is out there somewhere.

But presently there is nothing in the law that says a Congressman can't personally trade on info he here's. Is it seedy? Yup, but not illegal.

Sen Imhoff was investigated a while back for the same thing and he's still serving as of now... but IIRC is retiring when his current term ends in 2021.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Lot of circumstantial stuff around all of the Senators, but Burr is the one in the most jeopardy.

While he publicly said in a published Op-Ed in I believe February that "we are better prepared.." etc. for the virus if it ca"me here, he was recorded telling a group of fatcat types that:

RICHARD BURR: "There is one thing that I can tell you about this. It is much more aggressive in its transition than anything we have seen in recent history. It's probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic."

That was information he was supposedly given in a classified briefing.

And it is that dissemination of "material, non-public information" that hangs folks for insider trading.

The above quote is from a transcript. The actual audio is out there somewhere.

But presently there is nothing in the law that says a Congressman can't personally trade on info he here's. Is it seedy? Yup, but not illegal.

Sen Imhoff was investigated a while back for the same thing and he's still serving as of now... but IIRC is retiring when his current term ends in 2021.

Not quite sure that I wouldn't do the same thing. No I'm not a politician but the bar slash/ restaurant I work at on Put-in-Bay is completely self-funded. The owners sell shares when they need money and pay it back at a good rate. No your share doesn't increase if the business does well what otoh you can always forfeit your interest and bail. Let's say I purchased a couple shares at 10 K apiece when I find out from an employee who talked to a manager and found out they were in deep trouble and going to close one of the properties. Or something like that.

WSS

Even if RINO Burr escapes criminal responsibility I don't see him escaping the wrath of the voters of North Carolina. For now though he needs to be removed from his position in the Senate as chairman of the intel committee........it will be no loss with him  gone

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/20/insider-trading-scandal-is-just-latest-reason-burr-should-be-removed-as-intel-chair/