THE BROWNS BOARD

Everson Griffen

darren15

Bit long in the tooth, but coming off is 4th Pro Bowl season... count me in.

Maybe he'd settle for Olivier money... :)

The 2020 Draft certainly doesn't offer but a couple Edge alternatives that we might be in position to draft, but I'm not crazy about their value in Round 1 let alone at #10. So I think the pursuit of Everson depends upon our view of the 2021 draft. If it's low, then go get him, but...

If it's high then we don't have to land EG, we still have Vernon on a 1-year deal to bridge the 2021 draft.

Seemed like the place to pick up on DE thoughts prompted by a gumby post in the Pluto thread...

With Terry looking for one more splash signing at DE I thought I'd look beyond Griffen, Clowney and (ugh) Golden.

One name immediately jumped out... Ansah. Hasn't been as productive since his huge year-3 in Detroit, but that can mostly be attributed to injury. So makes him a short-term contract candidate like our new Safeties.

Shaq Lawson is another interesting name, but with him you are getting a situational, pass-rushing DE. In the same vein, but much further down the list is Noah Spence, who never built upon his promising rookie campaign and so is a developmental reclamation project.

Here are the 4-3 FAs:

image.png.8bdd04ca236eaf5f2a98083597832532.png

Of course there is another alternative... trade for a DE. There's a hundred possibilities here, but the ones that might be most available are older, 30-ish vets entering the final year of a deal... just like Vernon is this year... that might not cost much to get via trade.

Obviously Job 1 in 2020/2021 is extend MG. Forget all the bright shinnies like Ngakoue, Bosa, Thomas and Barnett.

1. Ingram jumps out... LAC looks to be promising as they are headed to a rebuild and they have Bosa to lock up. But he's an expensive rental for a team still well short of "one more piece" to realize a SB dream.
  2. Houston... ditto except Indy is going all-in in 2021.

Scanning the list I'm hard-pressed to spot a lower salary candidate for this route. Maybe someone else can.

Here's a list of those names...

image.thumb.png.9305ffea7cfc42cc9d524edb49617004.png

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Derek Barnett is an interesting name.  Wonder how he might fare having a MG across from him who draws so much attention?      

Agree, but I don't see the Eagles parting with a promising, 25-yo DE on the cheap.

I thought the 49ers have been trying to get rid of Solomon Thomas for the last 2 years? No takers? he could be interesting...I still think they should swing for the fences with YN from Jax..Yes, the browns have some signings coming up (MG, DW, etc) but if they could front load the deal they might be able to make it work for the next couple of years. I'm not sure it would take more than a 2nd round pick to get it done (2021 2nd...the Jags have a million picks) or get really creative and trade the #10 pick for #20 and YN. Then potentially move-up if necessary. It gives the team some leverage against MG (not much) but an option. Plus, you could always trade one of them if you absolutely had too. 

18 hours ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Looks the Vikings lost a lot of personal and staff this off-season.

Yeah... kind of a weird one to retool to such an extent while so close to the top. Cap certainly has played a role. And when you're close to the top is when other teams hire away your staff.

Tripling down on Cook while planning to reload the D in Draft is best I can come up with. They have two #1s... a #2... two #3's and seven more on Day 3.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yeah... kind of a weird one to retool to such an extent while so close to the top. Cap certainly has played a role. And when you're close to the top is when other teams hire away your staff.

Tripling down on Cook while planning to reload the D in Draft is best I can come up with. They have two #1s... a #2... two #3's and seven more on Day 3.

I could be wrong, but is it just me or does it seem that as long the Steelers have been successful, their coaches and front office guys are rarely targeted for head coaching and upper management promotions on other teams? Unlike the Patriots, whose janitors get interviews for head coaching gigs...

14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I could be wrong, but is it just me or does it seem that as long the Steelers have been successful, their coaches and front office guys are rarely targeted for head coaching and upper management promotions on other teams? Unlike the Patriots, whose janitors get interviews for head coaching gigs...

Interesting.  Fair point.   Though, I do believe Bruce Arians was a Steeler asst. coach.    And Todd Haley did have an HC gig for a bit, no? 

LeBeau was the Steelers DC....went on to be the  Bengals HC.....and went back to being Steelers DC. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Interesting.  Fair point.   Though, I do believe Bruce Arians was a Steeler asst. coach.    And Todd Haley did have an HC gig for a bit, no? 

LeBeau was the Steelers DC....went on to be the  Bengals HC.....and went back to being Steelers DC. 

True on Arians and LeBeau… Haley, though, was a HC before he became the Steelers OC, right? 

They've had a few others, but still, for a team that has been a consistent winner for 30 years, they don't seem to get cherry-picked as much as other successful teams.

The Browns, for example, can't stop themselves from interviewing people associated with the Patriots. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Interesting...

Seemed like it'd be an easy check since so few HCs... and it was.

Noll had a couple go on to pretty fair measures of success... namely Dungy and Fox.

image.thumb.png.7bba7d340f1c821bbfce1f8be940ea41.png

For Cowher... bunch of good Head Coaches led by Marvin Lewis, but no true stars.

image.png.736cf68ccead34d18b042aa7b9b25920.png

As for Tomlin... can't find a twig... which is surprising given his tenure, his reputation for having more of a hands off, leader type of HC and his success.