THE BROWNS BOARD

Veikune signed per PFT-NBC

OconRecon

Browns agree to terms with second-rounder Veikune

Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 26, 2009 5:15 AM ET

The Cleveland Browns agreed to a deal early this morning with second-round outside linebacker David Veikune, according to a league source.

Per our source, the negotiating impasse was resolved when Veikune was given a skill, injury and salary-cap guarantee in the contract.

Not every second-round deal has included that kind of financial protection.

The 6'2," 257-pounder is expected to report at some point today.

The Veikune deal leaves the Browns with two unsigned second-round draft picks: wide receivers Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi.

In three seasons at the University of Hawaii, Veikune registered 118 tackles, 29 tackles for losses and 18 sacks.

Last season, Veikune recorded 73 tackles, 16.5 tackles for losses and nine sacks and was named second-team All-Western Athletic Conference.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ounder-veikune/

P.S. - For those who need a refresher. It's pronounced "Vay-koon-ay" :)

Guest Aloysius

Veikune's #94, lines up at LE (opposite the right tackle).

Should be interesting to see where & how well this guy plays.

Yeah, he's definitely intriguing and Mangini obviously had him targeted (as did other 3-4 teams).

Massoquai was drafted 2 spots earlier. Can't imagine that should be too tough to figure out. How much of a raise did Veikune get over last year's same slot... and then do that for Mo-Mass.

One at a time. It takes some time to get with the agents and make sure the the language is all there. Plus, the players and agents don't really care for this rookies reporting date a week ahead of the rest of the team so I don't expect them to sign until Monday or Tuesday. Surprised Veikune signed before Monday. Unless he signed and will report Monday for his physical.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he can be a defensive starting linebacker and NOT just a special teamer.

Like most of the LB's we've taken lately. I am not sure I have seen a team wiff on so many picks in my life. The first rounders were bad enough, but lately it seems we can't find any decent players.

Archived