THE BROWNS BOARD

Yet another misleading headline

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-says-he-wants-keep-people-off-ventilators-favor-unproven-drug-combination-1496161

So when I was in high school I was very active in the national forensic League. I never was a debater, I earned all my points from Individual events one of which was boys extemporaneous speaking. Six or seven contestants in a round in front of a judge would select three topics from a box pick one of those topics to deliver a 6 minute speech on. Every school had a big box of magazines from which to research topical issues. As I recall there were multiple issues of time, US News & World Report and Newsweek. I'm trying to remember if the Newsweek headlines were always bulshit or if this is a modern-day phenomenon?

WSS

Trump says he wants to keep people off ventilators. Of course he would. The unhappy fact is that the success stories of those placed on ventilators is not good. There is a drug that has shown promise to covid19 patients taking it that their symptoms do not progress to needing to be placed on a ventilator (hydroxycholoroquine and zpack). I commend Trump for putting this out there for the public. Let the doctors and the patients make their own decision as to taking this drug or not. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/02/826105278/ventilators-are-no-panacea-for-critically-ill-covid-19-patients

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/results-from-a-controlled-trial-of-hydroxychloroquine-for-covid19

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/hydroxychloroquine-most-effective-coronavirus-treatment-poll/

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/03/31/gov-whitmer-reverses-course-on-coronavirus-drugs-is-now-asking-feds-for-hydroxychloroquine-and-chloroquine

30 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

OBF what I'm saying is I didn't see anything in the video closely resembling the headline.

WSS

I know. I didn't care for the headline itself. Why wouldn't Trump want people not to be placed on ventilators"? They have a horrible failure rate.  Why not try to use the hdryroxychloroquine and zpac first and use ventilators as an absolute last resort?

A few weeks ago I saw a friend at the grocery store. He stuck out his hand for me to shake and I told him I wasn't shaking hands anymore and doing the elbow chicken wing thing. He was put in the hospital friday for covid19 and was not able to breathe. Yesterday they transferred him to another hospital and they put him on a ventilator (anyone who would want to say a prayer his name is Denny). Denny was 64 years old and as far as I know was in good health being one of those farming type guys.

I really don't think our hospital did anything for him until he got even worse and then they put him on a respirator. I contacted our health dept and asked them if they are giving covid19 patients the option of hydroxychloroquine and zpac and they never responded. This drug may not be the answer but I know respirators are not the answer. Why not at least try this before putting a patient on a ventilator?

update: I got the answer from his sister. They were told they didn't have hydroxychloroquine. We just had a company donate 320 million doses and Israel just gave us 6 million doses with 4 more million to come quickly yet we don't have any?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Ventilators are a last resort OBF.  They only use them when they have to.

I know but before that last resort of going on a ventilator I would like to see people given another last resort option of hydroxychloroquine and zpac which at the minimum shows some promise against covid 19.

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I know but before that last resort of going on a ventilator I would like to see people given another last resort option of hydroxychloroquine and zpac which at the minimum shows some promise against covid 19.

For sure, I would demand it and the blood plasma from recovered patients.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

OBF what I'm saying is I didn't see anything in the video closely resembling the headline.

WSS

Get a load of the second paragraph:

Trump, who has no medical training, has for several weeks metioned a combination of an anti-malaria drug, hydroxychloroquine, and azithromycin as a potential cure for the virus that the World Health Organization has classified as a global pandemic.

Anyway they can make Trump look incompetent they will. Was that necessary?

"Trump thinks he's a doctor blah, blah!!!"

The irony is that Newsweek cant even spell "mentioned".  There's the incompetence..

13 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I know. I didn't care for the headline itself. Why wouldn't Trump want people not to be placed on ventilators"? They have a horrible failure rate.  Why not try to use the hdryroxychloroquine and zpac first and use ventilators as an absolute last resort?

A few weeks ago I saw a friend at the grocery store. He stuck out his hand for me to shake and I told him I wasn't shaking hands anymore and doing the elbow chicken wing thing. He was put in the hospital friday for covid19 and was not able to breathe. Yesterday they transferred him to another hospital and they put him on a ventilator (anyone who would want to say a prayer his name is Denny). Denny was 64 years old and as far as I know was in good health being one of those farming type guys.

I really don't think our hospital did anything for him until he got even worse and then they put him on a respirator. I contacted our health dept and asked them if they are giving covid19 patients the option of hydroxychloroquine and zpac and they never responded. This drug may not be the answer but I know respirators are not the answer. Why not at least try this before putting a patient on a ventilator?

update: I got the answer from his sister. They were told they didn't have hydroxychloroquine. We just had a company donate 320 million doses and Israel just gave us 6 million doses with 4 more million to come quickly yet we don't have any?

That's tragic - I hope and pray your friend Denny comes out of it. we have so many friends who are staying at home, self-quarantining.

Thank goodness family members have phones that can send pics and videos...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

That's tragic - I hope and pray your friend Denny comes out of it. we have so many friends who are staying at home, self-quarantining.

Thank goodness family members have phones that can send pics and videos...

Thanks Cal. Denny is a super nice guy and I was sick to hear about it and we have been praying for him. The only time I have gone out is to the grocery store which is once every 2 weeks. Our family has been following the CDC guidelines with the spacing, washing hands and keeping hands from our faces. The next time I go to the grocery store I am going to wear a bandanna mask that I saw on Youtube can easily be made. 

22 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Get a load of the second paragraph:

Trump, who has no medical training, has for several weeks metioned a combination of an anti-malaria drug, hydroxychloroquine, and azithromycin as a potential cure for the virus that the World Health Organization has classified as a global pandemic.

Anyway they can make Trump look incompetent they will. Was that necessary?

"Trump thinks he's a doctor blah, blah!!!"

The irony is that Newsweek cant even spell "mentioned".  There's the incompetence..

Meanwhile let's see what Bill Gates has to say!

WSS

Just now, Westside Steve said:

Meanwhile let's see what Bill Gates has to say!

WSS

I mean, given Bill Gates' charitable work around diseases, and his overall intelligence, I'd believe whatever he says on this more than Trump.

Not saying he's an expert by any means, but he very clearly ranks above Trump.

I'm sure all of the actual doctors and medical personnel love arm chair experts calling in about this magic drug they heard about on TV. If the drug is proven effective and safe it'll get used. It needs to be available too. But the idea that hospitals aren't doing whatever they can now for people is crazy. 

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm sure all of the actual doctors and medical personnel love arm chair experts calling in about this magic drug they heard about on TV. If the drug is proven effective and safe it'll get used. It needs to be available too. But the idea that hospitals aren't doing whatever they can now for people is crazy. 

Regardless of political persuasion 49 states have allowed doctors, yes that's right Woody, doctors, to use the drug. Nobody's saying it's a Panacea just possibly a good option. I don't understand the opposition other than to try to fuck with the president.

WSS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

My father died from complications from lung cancer.  His oxygen levels fell into the 80's and they wanted to put him on a ventilator but he refused.  Not a good way to go I can tell you that.

22 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Hydroxychloroquine rated ‘most effective’ coronavirus treatment, poll of doctors finds

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/hydroxychloroquine-most-effective-coronavirus-treatment-poll/

• Upvote 2