THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

Here is today's Trivia Question.    This is kind of a two parter, but not really.    And this applies ONLY to the Super Bowl era.

A. In the Super Bowl era,  there have been  Four (4)  teams that went from having a losing record the previous season.....to winning the Super Bowl the next year.

B. There have also been 4 other teams  who had a  .500 record  (8-8)  the previous season, to winning the Super Bowl the next year.

Name as many of these sub .500 or  .500 teams as you can.  

Answers:

1980 San Francisco 49ers  6-10  1981  Super Bowl Champions

1981 Washington Redskins 8-8  1982  Super Bowl Champions

1998 St. Louis Rams  4-12   1999 Super Bowl Champions

1999 Baltimore Ravens  8-8   2000   Super Bowl Champions

2000  New England Patriots  5-11  2001 Super Bowl Champions

2006 NY Giants  8-8  2007 Super Bowl Champions

2008  New Orleans Saints  8-8   2009  Super Bowl Champions

2016 Philadelphia Eagles 7-9  2017 Super Bowl Champions.

Here is today's trivia question.

Preface:  Pro Football Reference has a statistic, for all players, but for now we will just deal with Quarterbacks. That stat is called the Hall of Fame Monitor. It supposedly measure a person's  HOF credentials, based on various factors: Pro Bowls/All Pros/Championships and a variety of statistical measurement.   There is obviously debate here and elsewhere about some of these QBs  HOF credentials.  The question is:

Name the Top 15 QBs who ARE  HOF eligible that have NOT been inducted into the HOF who you think would be on this list.  (note: exclude active players, and those retired yet not yet eligible like Peyton Manning;  also note: only deals with players in the league since 1955)

9 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

Randell Cunningham

Donovan McNabb

Vinny Testaverde

Jim Hart

Boomer Esiason

David Kreig

Jim Plunkett

Steve McNair

Phil Simms

Highlighted are in the group of 15.     

Of course, this shows the somewhat nefariousness of this stat:  the others you mention could just as easily be in there as well.

3 hours ago, Gorka said:

The #1 gripe among Bungle fans. That's how I knew.

And a valid gripe having only one player I believe in HOF ...A. Munoz.

On several measures of various stats,  Ken Anderson appears as the #1 guy that could/should be in HOF, but isn't. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’d have to say Randall Cunningham tops my list. 

Phil Simms next.

and then hometown love for Bernie- he had a 4-5 year period of mostly brilliance at the position.   

Neither Cunningham nor  Bernie are on the Top 15 list.   Simms was at #13.

(and...I will give you this:  both Frank Ryan and Brian Sipe appear on the list ahead of Bernie) 

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Neither Cunningham nor  Bernie are on the Top 15 list.   Simms was at #13.

(and...I will give you this:  both Frank Ryan and Brian Sipe appear on the list ahead of Bernie) 

Cunningham is a surprise.

82-52 record.

almost 5000 yards rushing 35 rushing TDS.  Pre-Vick days which was very uncommon 

207 Passing TDs

4 Pro Bowls 1 All Pro 

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Cunningham is a surprise.

82-52 record.

almost 5000 yards rushing 35 rushing TDS.  Pre-Vick days which was very uncommon 

207 Passing TDs

4 Pro Bowls 1 All Pro 

I would tend to agree.....but let me double check to see if I got that wrong.

In checking, no, Cunningham would be 18th on the list  (eligible but not in)  per this particular measurement.

10 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

Randell Cunningham

Donovan McNabb

Vinny Testaverde

Jim Hart

Boomer Esiason

David Kreig

Jim Plunkett

Steve McNair

Phil Simms

Most on this list deserve it. Vinny might be a stretch; his #s are somewhat inflated due to good longevity (which is part of the overall factors). The omission of Cunningham is shocking; he had two careers and was considered the most dangerous player in the league for a while and then came back in MN and put up dope stats.  Boomer should be in. Plunket must be the only QB to win 2 rings and not be in. Simms should be in. Kreig...borderline. He was underrated, but HOF worthy? Not sure. Tim Couch, Johnny Manziel?  

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

Most on this list deserve it. Vinny might be a stretch; his #s are somewhat inflated due to good longevity (which is part of the overall factors). The omission of Cunningham is shocking; he had two careers and was considered the most dangerous player in the league for a while and then came back in MN and put up dope stats.  Boomer should be in. Plunket must be the only QB to win 2 rings and not be in. Simms should be in. Kreig...borderline. He was underrated, but HOF worthy? Not sure. Tim Couch, Johnny Manziel?  

Vinny...not part of the 15

Boomer (Esiason)  yes

Plunkett....No

Kreig....No

Couch/Manziel......they are borderline...but it has nothing to do with the PFHOF

Here is today's trivia question.

Preface:  Pro Football Reference has a statistic, for all players, but for now we will just deal with Quarterbacks. That stat is called the Hall of Fame Monitor. It supposedly measure a person's  HOF credentials, based on various factors: Pro Bowls/All Pros/Championships and a variety of statistical measurement.   There is obviously debate here and elsewhere about some of these QBs  HOF credentials.  The question is:

Name the Top 15 QBs who ARE  HOF eligible that have NOT been inducted into the HOF who you think would be on this list.  (note: exclude active players, and those retired yet not yet eligible like Peyton Manning;  also note: only deals with players in the league since 1955)

Answers, in order in terms of "borderline"  HOFers:

1. Ken Anderson

2. John Hadl

3. Boomer Esiason

4. Rich Gannon

5. Roman Gabriel

6. Joe Theisman

7. John Brodie

8. Drew Bledsoe

9. Daryl Lamonica

10. Earl Morrall

11. Jack Kemp

12. Steve McNair

13. Phil Simms

14.Donovan McNabb

15. Carson Palmer

Here is their metric:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm

Here is Today's Trivia Question.....It mirrors yesterday.   PFR  has the Hall of Fame Monitor stat to determine "Hall of Fame Worthiness..

Name the 15  Running Backs....who are/have been eligible  who have the highest score under this metric who have not been inducted. 

Earnest Byner by any chance?

When you talk about RBs there were plenty of good ones that had to deal with injuries I'll have to think about it.

Denver RB T. Davis comes to mind.

44 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Earnest Byner by any chance?

When you talk about RBs there were plenty of good ones that had to deal with injuries I'll have to think about it.

Denver RB T. Davis comes to mind.

Byner is down around 20th, not Top 15....and, I think, perhaps,   Terrell Davis  has already been elected to the HOF....in checking, yes...elected 2017.

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No, none of those are in that "next 15"......good names to come up with though. 

Wow. Thought I'd get one of those.

I can no longer participate. Having no clue I cheated and looked them up. I am shocked at the names that I presumed to be in the HOF that are not.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

Chuck Foreman

Freeman McNeil

Eddie George

Fred Taylor

James Brooks

Roger Craig

Ricky Watters

O.J. Anderson

Williams Andrews

Shaun Alexander

Craig was #1 on the list;  Ricky Watterss #3; Alexander #4; Fred Taylor #11;  Ottis (OJ) Anderson #13 ;  Chuck Foreman #14

Eddie George was #16.

16 hours ago, Richiswhere said:

Chuck Foreman

Freeman McNeil

Eddie George

Fred Taylor

James Brooks

Roger Craig

Ricky Watters

O.J. Anderson

Williams Andrews

Shaun Alexander

How about Joe Morris or John L.Williams?

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Craig was #1 on the list;  Ricky Watterss #3; Alexander #4; Fred Taylor #11;  Ottis (OJ) Anderson #13 ;  Chuck Foreman #14

Eddie George was #16.

Craig is the most surprising indeed. In the 80's all you heard was Roger Craig this,  Roger Craig that...

First time ever a 1000yd rusher and a 1000yd receiver in the same season.

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Craig is the most surprising indeed. In the 80's all you heard was Roger Craig this,  Roger Craig that...

First time ever a 1000yd rusher and a 1000yd receiver in the same season.

Craig not in? That's lunacy, he was a crucial cog of one of, if not THE, best offenses ever seen. How is Davis more deserving than RC? 

And one of my personal, all-time most-underrated backs of all time is James Brooks; the rare 185 lber who was an every down back. He was phenomenal. I remember one play in the day playing for the Bengals where he outran Rod Woodson. He blew his doors off. He also played for SD. 

And no Hershel Walker? That's loco. He was the entire Cowboy's offense for a while, he was a total beast with insane sped for his size. 

Ricky Watters should be in. 

The Original "Curt" Warner should be, of Seattle.

Why not Otis Anderson? Had he not had the career resurgence in NY, maybe not. But he won a ring there and was a key reason for it.