THE BROWNS BOARD

Trent William's for a 3rd round pick...?

darren15

On 4/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, SdBacker80 said:

The problem with Williams is the New contract demand.  Otherwise he’d be traded by now.

i can’t pay him top tackle money for the next 4-5 years 

No, no, no, no, no, no. That would be moronic. Screw this dude. If he is demanding a 4-year deal with guaranteed $, that's nuts. 1 year deal only. Is he 32?

• Haha 1

I doubt there is anyone on here arguing that we pay Williams top $ for 4 years. That's not even an issue.If you would read between the lines you could guess that the Browns already discussed a shorter, less expensive contract with his agent, or else they wouldn't have offered to trade for him (unless they are unbelievably stupid).

Just like it's not an issue whether Conklin can play LT or not. As far as I''m concerned I would never risk putting him there, because there is no way I would use the excuse that if he played it more than 5 years ago in college he must be decent at it in the pros, as a possible player to put in on Baker's blind side. That's why I said I would only get Williams if we got a decent LT as a back-up, for example Peters.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

... when I asked who would start at RT you said "Williams , of course".

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Show me the post where I said that exact quote.

It's difficult to compete with the competing private conversation going on in your head.

First, Gip, I'd like to point out that you failed to produce your imaginary quote...

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Here are your quotes: 

I'd be willing to ride out Hubbard's last season as our backup RT, and flip Conklin to LT. Then we can shop for depth next year.

But who you putting at RT ahead of Hubbard? 

Conklin, obviously.

• So Hubbard is the back up RT
  • who goes in after flipping Conklin to LT,
  • In a thread about us acquiring an injury-prone, All-Pro LT...

Yeah... really hard to follow...

... for a lawyer...

2015- 2019 Bill Callahan in 4 seasons with the Redskins, has coached T.Williams..

2015-- Was in the room when a Pro Bowler Brandon Scherff was drafted at pick #5 while still getting C Austin Reiter in the 7th round..

2017-- C Chase Roullier was drafted in the 6th now starts at Center for Skins

2018--LG Geron Christian was drafted in 3rd, now back-up guard for Skins

2019-- RG Wes Martin drafted in 4th starts at Guard for Skins

C-Ross Pierschbacher drafted in 5th backs up Center for Skins

and We have screwed the pooch on drafting how many lineman since Alex Mack was drafted? trades & FA's?

don't sweat this..In Callahan I Trust !!  

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

No, no, no, no, no, no. That would be moronic. Screw this dude. If he is demanding a 4-year deal with guaranteed $, that's nuts. 1 year deal only. Is he 32?

That’s why I said I can’t pay him 20M per for 4/5 years 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

First, Gip, I'd like to point out that you failed to produce your imaginary quote...

• So Hubbard is the back up RT
  • who goes in after flipping Conklin to LT,
  • In a thread about us acquiring an injury-prone, All-Pro LT...

Yeah... really hard to follow...

... for a lawyer...

Yes absolutely your lack of communication skills makes it impossible   You would be a miserable witness 

18 hours ago, Icecube said:

In addition to what you wrote above, I think teams are getting the feeling this guy has turned into a "pain in the ass" kind of guy. Now, that may not be fair; he may have legit reasons to be miffed at the Skins' docs, but it may still be the perception of NFL teams that he's now a problem player in the locker room. 

Something along these lines is what l can’t help wondering. Sort of like the evolution of a player who gave his all, and then felt slighted by his employer and took a stand. And that stand led to not working, and not working leads to getting used to not working. 

I never did quite grasp what happened when he “came back” last year, likely begrudgingly, and his helmet didn’t fit? Or there was discomfort or something? Maybe that was legit, but l imagine there’s piles of discomfort to go around playing football. 

Well, if it was me, I'd just forget about the idea of trading for Williams. We're in excellent position to draft our LT for years - hopefully he gets to ten - that's Andrew Thomas. May well happen. I wonder about Williams' head problem...had trouble wearing his helmet afterwards?

Has that completely changed?  Will it start being a problem again later? Will he demand a new contract after being traded to another team? A nice big signing bonus included?

Too many questions  Just thinkin...I don't see it.

It has been announced the Redskins have informed Williams,s agent to no longer seek a trade. The Redskins have apparently agreed a trade with an unknown team.... this normally happens  when a team  want to take full control over the final details of  a trade... Let's see who it is.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, darren15 said:

It has been announced the Redskins have informed Williams,s agent to no longer seek a trade. The Redskins have apparently agreed a trade with an unknown team.... this normally happens  when a team  want to take full control over the final details of  a trade... Let's see who it is.

If it smells like the Browns, looks like the Browns, sounds like the Browns.................................

And/Or.................................................................................https://nflspinzone.com/2020/04/16/nfl-draft-rumors-browns-broncos-trade-first-round/

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

If it smells like the Browns, looks like the Browns, sounds like the Browns.................................

And/Or.................................................................................https://nflspinzone.com/2020/04/16/nfl-draft-rumors-browns-broncos-trade-first-round/

It makes sense just be wise with the contract.

We can always target a tackle early in the draft.  I've said from Day 1 staying at 10 and just taking the 3rd or 4th tackle left is something I cant see the Browns doing.  I don't think they like 2/3 maybe even 4 of the top 5.  

Get Williams, Trade out of 10 and replace the pick you lose with him.  And fix the D with this draft!!!

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Well, if it was me, I'd just forget about the idea of trading for Williams. We're in excellent position to draft our LT for years - hopefully he gets to ten - that's Andrew Thomas. May well happen. I wonder about Williams' head problem...had trouble wearing his helmet afterwards?

Has that completely changed?  Will it start being a problem again later? Will he demand a new contract after being traded to another team? A nice big signing bonus included?

Too many questions  Just thinkin...I don't see it.

This is an absolute no brainer; there are bad signs all over the place with this guy and this draft is the most loaded at LT than I have ever seen. Screw old guys who have a bad attitude and haven't played in 2 years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Icecube said:

This is an absolute no brainer; there are bad signs all over the place with this guy and this draft is the most loaded at LT than I have ever seen. Screw old guys who have a bad attitude and haven't played in 2 years. 

“Loaded” I would say good depth for sure.

Wirfs is being doubted at tackle.  Wills played RT granted he protected a left handed QB but he’d change sides here anyway, Thomas okay, Jones is a good prospect, Becton I don’t see it.  You have some intriguing guys down the line that I would say this is class loaded with depth.

But i don’t see a Joe Thomas or even Joe Thomas lite. Granted we may never see that again but we have a top 10 pick and supposedly there will be tackles off the board when we come to 10.

maybe we see a Dbrickashaw/Jake Long emerge 3/4 time probowler out of this group.  I think it’s more likely we see a 2/3/4 round tackle  play well enough to be a multi year probowler.  

6 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

“Loaded” I would say good depth for sure.

Wirfs is being doubted at tackle.  Wills played RT granted he protected a left handed QB but he’d change sides here anyway, Thomas okay, Jones is a good prospect, Becton I don’t see it.  You have some intriguing guys down the line that I would say this is class loaded with depth.

But i don’t see a Joe Thomas or even Joe Thomas lite. Granted we may never see that again but we have a top 10 pick and supposedly there will be tackles off the board when we come to 10.

maybe we see a Dbrickashaw/Jake Long emerge 3/4 time probowler out of this group.  I think it’s more likely we see a 2/3/4 round tackle  play well enough to be a multi year probowler.  

Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas, Josh Jones and Ezra Cleveland are all likely to go in the 1st round, 4 of them in top 10. Do you recall another draft this stacked with LTs? I don't. Not even close. Cleveland is in position to grab a Thomas, who is real good. 

2 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas, Josh Jones and Ezra Cleveland are all likely to go in the 1st round, 4 of them in top 10. Do you recall another draft this stacked with LTs? I don't. Not even close. Cleveland is in position to grab a Thomas, who is real good. 

They could but it doesn't make it a loaded class.   Most experts are saying this is not a top heavy draft.  Someone needs to be 4...5...6...overall pick.  

We've spent 2/3 months picking apart these players.  I'm not saying folks on here are right or they should quit their day jobs.  But to me taking the 3 or 4th best from this group at 10 is not value.  Value to me is trading out of the spot and getting picks in 2-5 round range where the draft presents great value.  

We need a Left tackle no doubt about it.  I trust that our braintrust knows which of the 6 mentioned fit our scheme and will develop.  Stress the word develop most of the guys you mention need some work some alot of work.  I see alot of "just draft the guy and plug him in"  I think we need insurance with this group like a Williams or Peters.  

Aside from this,  I know we need a couple "sandwich eaters" LT and maybe a guard but let's find a way to get Adam Trautman TE and Darryton Evans RB.     

Early on, I thought there might be a run on OT's in the top ten, but the defensive talent

that should go in the top ten is serious. I want Thomas to fall to us at ten. My concern is, if all "experts" are wrong,

and Simmons and Thomas both fall to ten...

it's going to be an agonizing ten minutes. because even though I'm sure they thought all the scenarios out...

I don't think they will just up and know which one to pick, still. It will be ten minutes of agony maybe, and I'm sure

most of us will be in the same boat.

But Andrew Thomas seems like he has to be a Cleveland Brown.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-16/georgia-andrew-thomas-fine-tunes-his-game-nfl-draft-2020

32 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Early on, I thought there might be a run on OT's in the top ten, but the defensive talent

that should go in the top ten is serious. I want Thomas to fall to us at ten. My concern is, if all "experts" are wrong,

and Simmons and Thomas both fall to ten...

it's going to be an agonizing ten minutes. because even though I'm sure they thought all the scenarios out...

I don't think they will just up and know which one to pick, still. It will be ten minutes of agony maybe, and I'm sure

most of us will be in the same boat.

But Andrew Thomas seems like he has to be a Cleveland Brown.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-16/georgia-andrew-thomas-fine-tunes-his-game-nfl-draft-2020

If the rumors about the Browns putting an offer on the table for Williams are true, or at least that they have done some serious talking about it, then that is a sure-tell sign that they are willing to draft their LT for the future in the 2nd round or lower. Because they aren't going to get Williams AND draft an LT at #10.

If they feel that way, then I think it's reasonable to think that if their player is there at 10 who is not a LT e.g. Simmons or maybe Brown (my favorite and who I think is a sleeper for the Browns' pick), that they would select that player and get their LT in the 2nd round.

More likely, though, it looks as if they will be looking to trade down and grab their LT with the 15th pick or around there, and take the extra selections. But one thing is for sure, imo, and that is they are not locked into getting a LT at #10 at all, unless they can't trade down and there are no good alternatives available.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

They could but it doesn't make it a loaded class.   Most experts are saying this is not a top heavy draft.  Someone needs to be 4...5...6...overall pick.  

We've spent 2/3 months picking apart these players.  I'm not saying folks on here are right or they should quit their day jobs.  But to me taking the 3 or 4th best from this group at 10 is not value.  Value to me is trading out of the spot and getting picks in 2-5 round range where the draft presents great value.  

We need a Left tackle no doubt about it.  I trust that our braintrust knows which of the 6 mentioned fit our scheme and will develop.  Stress the word develop most of the guys you mention need some work some alot of work.  I see alot of "just draft the guy and plug him in"  I think we need insurance with this group like a Williams or Peters.  

Aside from this,  I know we need a couple "sandwich eaters" LT and maybe a guard but let's find a way to get Adam Trautman TE and Darryton Evans RB.     

You're more worried about a RB when they have Chubb and Hunt, while the LT spot is the worst in the NFL? Not sure I follow. And didn't we just sign Hooper at TE and still have nJOKE-on-u? 

1 minute ago, Icecube said:

You're more worried about a RB when they have Chubb and Hunt, while the LT spot is the worst in the NFL? Not sure I follow. And didn't we just sign Hooper at TE and still have nJOKE-on-u? 

i am gonna double down take a tackle at ten and then with are next pick take another linemen 

1) you never quite know if ine will bust

2)we still have a need at rg

6 minutes ago, Icecube said:

A fourth or 6th round back yes.

i send Njoku packing too or draft Trautman anyway if he makes it to the 3rd round 

2 minutes ago, ATOM said:

i am gonna double down take a tackle at ten and then with are next pick take another linemen 

If you make no trade downs to acquire picks Who plays linebacker and safety ????

1 minute ago, ATOM said:

I'm pretty sure they will draft 2 OLmen, most likely LT at #10 and, as you wish, a IOL by the 3rd or 4th. Do also need LB, DL, S.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

If you make no trade downs to acquire picks Who plays linebacker and safety ????

we have 5 other picks,udfa's,f.a,and cuts I believe we could find some help there

There's three Day 1 starter caliber LT's available. I'd be nothing short of shocked if one of those dudes isn't there to scoop up at #10. Not sure why anyone would instead want a dude who will be 32 at start of season tackle who has demanded big money as the alternative.

13 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

There's three Day 1 starter caliber LT's available. I'd be nothing short of shocked if one of those dudes isn't there to scoop up at #10. Not sure why anyone would instead want a dude who will be 32 at start of season tackle who has demanded big money as the alternative.

I think Berry referred to this as "pigeonholing".

24 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Wirfs and Wills will be changing sides. 
Thomas arguably has the most ability and played LT.  Becton and Jones have the skill set but are probably more of a project than the others.  We are all assuming these guys can fit the ZBS too.

I don’t see anyone of these guys beating out Peters or Williams right now.  And if Williams...Big if...can be had for a third and not demand a crazy contract that straps us in two three years.  I add him in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ATOM said:

we have 5 other picks,udfa's,f.a,and cuts I believe we could find some help there

And we can’t add a guard using the five other picks, Udfa or cuts what makes guard so special when we are paying two interior lineman big $$$ and we just traded for another who played reasonably well.

27 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

More than 3. There are 5-6 first round LTs, all of which would be slated to start week 1. Top LTs usually do start week one, not to mention round 2 and 3 LTs often do as well. 

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

And we can’t add a guard using the five other picks, Udfa or cuts what makes guard so special when we are paying two interior lineman big $$$ and we just traded for another who played reasonably well.

Should have never got rid of Zeitler. Who's genius decision was that?