THE BROWNS BOARD

Michigan Gov. Whitmer faces protest outside her home as lawmakers mull curbing her powers

Vambo

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-gov-whitmer-faces-protest-outside-her-home-as-lawmakers-mull-curbing-her-powers

Protesters gathered outside the home of Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday -- the same day reports emerged that she plans to extend the state’s coronavirus stay-at-home order by two weeks until May 15.

The demonstration, dubbed “Operation Queen’s Castle,” featured an image of Whitmer wearing a crown, FOX 2 of Detroit reported.

“We wanted to send Gretchen Whitmer a message, we didn't want to surrender our liberties just for a little temporary safety,” Brian Pannebecker, who helped organize the protest, told the station.

WHITMER BACKTRACKS AFTER COVID-19 CONTRACT AWARDED TO DEM CONSULTANT WHO SAID TRUMP SHOULD 'GET CORONAVIRUS ASAP'

Meanwhile, the Michigan Legislature has scheduled a special session for Friday with the goal of creating an oversight committee to review Whitmer’s coronavirus orders and possibly strip her of some of her powers, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Critics have accused Whitmer, a 48-year-old first-term Democratic governor, of overstepping her authority with a series of measures intended to stem the spread of coronavirus in the state. April 9 revisions to her initial stay-at-home order included bans on visiting friends and relatives or traveling to vacation homes, and halts on sales of items such as furniture and gardening supplies.

In a podcast interview, she also said abortions should continue in the state during the virus outbreak because the procedures were part of "life-sustaining" health care for women.

In addition, Whitmer came under fire after a no-bid coronavirus-related state contract was awarded to a firm operated by a well-known Democratic consultant who had written that President Trump should "get coronavirus ASAP." Whitmer’s office later acknowleged that the contract was awarded without adhering to normal protocols.

Michigan House Speaker Lee Chatfield, R-Levering, explained the point of Friday’s planned session in a Twitter message.

“The House & Senate will convene tomorrow to create a special oversight committee on COVID-19 to examine our government’s response,” he wrote. “Michigan needs to handle this pandemic seriously yet properly. It’s what the people deserve, and we will see that it happens.”

In another tweet, Chatfield noted that marijuana, lottery tickets and alcohol had been declared "essential," while lawn care, construction and fishing in a motorized boat had been declared nonessential amid the outbreak.

On Monday, Whitmer said she would take a 10 percent cut to her $159,300 annual salary and her staffers would take cuts of 5 percent as the state grapples with the financial fallout of the coronavirus shutdowns. She also continued defending the orders she has issued.

“I know it’s not easy, but the price of losing loved ones is what’s at stake,” she said, noting that many people who contract the virus show no symptoms but can still spread it.

The theme of Thursday’s protest in Lansing, the state’s capital city, was that many Michiganders who are able to work should be able to do so, Pannebecker said.

CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE

“Younger people, healthy people, without putting anybody else in danger, including ourselves, and others in danger, should be able to go back to work,”  Pannebecker told FOX 2.

The demonstration came eight days after a larger gathering outside the Statehouse called “Operation Gridlock.”

As of late Thursday, Michigan had more than 35,200 confirmed cases of the virus and nearly 3,000 deaths, the Detroit News reported.

Living secretly inside many on the left's minds are communist dictators wanting to get out and rule over the masses. The coronavirus has brought it out especially with this governor. Although she has her fans...those who look to the govt and the nanny state as their savior.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Living secretly inside many on the left's minds are communist dictators wanting to get out and rule over the masses. The coronavirus has brought it out especially with this governor. Although she has her fans...those who look to the govt and the nanny state as their savior.

I personally just want government interfering with companies that disagree with my politics. I also want them to ban firearm accessories through executive order without any input by legislators elected by the people. 

Liberals and conservatives that align with the major parties both love big government telling people what to do they just disagree on how it is done. 

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

I personally just want government interfering with companies that disagree with my politics. I also want them to ban firearm accessories through executive order without any input by legislators elected by the people. 

Liberals and conservatives that align with the major parties both love big government telling people what to do they just disagree on how it is done. 

Bumpstocks, bumpstocks, bumpstocks...we probably agree on more than we disagree on....(bumpstocks)

When you find that perfect world Logic where everyone on your own side is in complete lockstep on every issue let me know.

Just now, OldBrownsFan said:

Bumpstocks, bumpstocks, bumpstocks...we probably agree on more than we disagree on....(bumpstocks)

When you find that perfect world Logic where everyone on your own side is in complete lockstep on every issue let me know.

I know I am silly about that Constitution and the 2nd Am. I should turn my brain off and join the major party line where I can justify any behavior so long as my guy does it. 

I wasn’t the one talking about nanny states while simultaneously wanting the government to goad companies into complying with my personal politics. It isn’t about a perfect world but two party politics turns people into hypocrites real fast. You know you guys would be jumping up and down raging about how this pandemic has been handled and what the President has said if there was a D beside their name.

1 minute ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I know I am silly about that Constitution and the 2nd Am. I should turn my brain off and join the major party line where I can justify any behavior so long as my guy does it. 

I wasn’t the one talking about nanny states while simultaneously wanting the government to goad companies into complying with my personal politics. It isn’t about a perfect world but two party politics turns people into hypocrites real fast. You know you guys would be jumping up and down raging about how this pandemic has been handled and what the President has said if there was a D beside their name.

No you are silly with wanting to "throw the baby out with the bath water". 

The NRA is not your enemy as a 2A supporter although you disagree with them on some issues. I think Wayne LaPierre should have been fired at the NRA but that doesn't stop me from still supporting them because they do too much good. I just disagree with them on some things. My real enemy of the 2a are those on the left wanting to ban semi automatics and really destroy our 2a in fact some want to eliminate the 2a altogether.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Exactly Logic. And we've seen that play out on here many times. 

It isn't wanting big govt or small govt, it's picking some specific policy Hill to die on, because it aligns with your party at the moment, regardless of how it aligns with anything else

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

It isn't wanting big govt or small govt, it's picking some specific policy Hill to die on, because it aligns with your party at the moment, regardless of how it aligns with anything else

I disagreed with Logic on banning bumpstocks. After seeing what happened in Las Vegas with that shooting I wanted to see them banned. My fight is to keep semi automatics legal not a device that enables a semi automatic to mimic firing like an automatic. I think we are going to have enough trouble keeping semi automatics legal with so many on the left wanting all semi automatics banned. Keeping semi automatic weapons legal is that Hill for me to die on.

That doesn't mean I disagree with Logic on his other points such as Trump using an executive order to ban them. I agree with Logic that it sets a bad precedent for other presidents to restrict gun owners rights with future presidents using executive orders to curb gun rights. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

It beats never having any kind of strong belief in anything greater than yourself, because somebody thinks they are darth vader and all they ever do is attack others' beliefs...