THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Pull Trigger on Garrett's and Njoku's 5th Year Options

Tour2ma

1 minute ago, dawg2fan said:

Garrett is my concern.  I know he always liked the Cowboys (even when we drafted him).  Let"s hope we get the deal done.  Not as concerned with Njoko's contract, but would like to see him sign as well.  

Yea, I'm thinking an extension may turn into an ugly tagging. 

if our FO needs to be reminded about the MG  factor and the importance of meeting his contract demands watch the defense second half of 2019 season.  We didn’t pay 10M per for Schobert.  We appear to be hesitating on a long term bookend for Myles it appears its Vernon and then the contract is off the books.  You make Myles Garrett the Highest paid DE and be done with it.

As for being excited about Njoku under this New scheme...I’m just excited for the possibility of consistent play and catching the ball...blocking the man in front of you... and limiting penalties and mistakes. 

I can't find name of Myles' agent...

I know business is business, but sometimes the richest deal is as much of a pride thing as it is a financial one. Myles doesn't strike me as one of those guys. Plus I feel like the suspension created a hole in his Browns' career that he may want to fill-in.

Not expecting a huge discount, if any, but also not expecting a new record that will stand for years to come.

Just put him on top of the pile for awhile with a four-year including ample, front-loaded guarantees plus a mutual 5th-year option and get it done.

The extension is good news, but certainly they have to work Myles' contract. Njoku could be considered into a "prove it" deal: I like his attitude, he had some flashes, but also many drops, mental errors, some injuries... So IMO he hasn't shown that he was worth that 1st round pick yet. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

I know business is business, but sometimes the richest deal is as much of a pride thing as it is a financial one. Myles doesn't strike me as one of those guys. Plus I feel like the suspension created a hole in his Browns' career that he may want to fill-in.

I was thinking the same. I wish Myles' stayed here and made his career as a Brown, but if we keep rebuilding every year and not achieveing anything (Playoffs? Playoffs?) maybe the Mason incident is the only thing we have going for us: Not only he left a void in the team that probably switched the momentum of the whole season (everything went downhill from that point on), but he was supported by many fans and the team. 

I'm a sentimental -maybe idealis-t guy, but I wish more players would stay true to their colors and wouldn't change teams so much. Money is money, but I love when a fandom identifies with some players simply because they gave everything for their one team. 

Myles committed to Texas A&M very early in the process and as one of the top two HS players in that signing year in the country, every major team tried to find a way to steal him away. But from day one he stuck to that commitment and never wavered even one little bit. I think Myles is fully sold on being a top player in the NFL and is just as fully committed to staying a Browns player. He has too much respect for a man like Jim Brown to leave to another team. He's just not made that way. It's not the money for him. It's wanting to be the very best and also wanting to be a part of turning a team into something special.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

That's good.  Get-er-done!   And move on.

I can't wait to see whether Njoku flourishes with Stef over Kitchens.

He has to actually make it on the field first. He seems like he is always hurt. Remember when Landry freaked out on "Hard Knocks" about players who claimed being hurt too often? Now I'm thinking he was right. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

The extension is good news, but certainly they have to work Myles' contract. Njoku could be considered into a "prove it" deal: I like his attitude, he had some flashes, but also many drops, mental errors, some injuries... So IMO he hasn't shown that he was worth that 1st round pick yet. 

I was thinking the same. I wish Myles' stayed here and made his career as a Brown, but if we keep rebuilding every year and not achieveing anything (Playoffs? Playoffs?) maybe the Mason incident is the only thing we have going for us: Not only he left a void in the team that probably switched the momentum of the whole season (everything went downhill from that point on), but he was supported by many fans and the team. 

I'm a sentimental -maybe idealis-t guy, but I wish more players would stay true to their colors and wouldn't change teams so much. Money is money, but I love when a fandom identifies with some players simply because they gave everything for their one team. 

When even Montana, Manning and Brady switch teams....

18 minutes ago, Icecube said:

He has to actually make it on the field first. He seems like he is always hurt. Remember when Landry freaked out on "Hard Knocks" about players who claimed being hurt too often? Now I'm thinking he was right. 

Now?!  What took you so long?  Did you see the video?  Guys laying on the floor.  Nobody paying attention to anything.  That receiver room was a disgrace.  Nobody wanted to put any effort into anything.  So he got up there and blasted them.  And rightfully so.  (of course last year, all he did was ride a bike to nowhere while the others practiced)

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

You forgot Joe Willie and Bernie. End of career situations are completely different... and that's what all five were.

Sometimes when a team says either, "We are no longer willing to commit to you," or simply, "You are done," to a player... the player simply isn't ready to hear it, let alone agree with it.

Only Manning, who barely hung on long enough to see another Lombardi, had real success.

Of course, TB12 is TBD...

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You forgot Joe Willie and Bernie. End of career situations are completely different... and that's what all five were.

Sometimes when a team says either, "We are no longer willing to commit to you," or simply, "You are done," to a player... the player simply isn't ready to hear it, let alone agree with it.

Only Manning, who barely hung on long enough to see another Lombardi, had real success.

Of course, TB12 is TBD...

Yea but don't forget the 2 seasons before his SB win, he was amazing, smashing records. 

6 hours ago, Nero said:

I wish more players would stay true to their colors

I don't understand what this thing you call "true" is.  The team deserves precisely as much loyalty as they show the player - no more, no less.  If they want more loyalty, pay the player more.

The alternative, if we actually think the result would be different.. is a team or three that's owned by the players as a coop so as to show the owners and players how to succeed while running a team with team members [think JT on the Browns for example] on the board - or the FO, depending on how it's structured.

• Upvote 1

getting the 5th year on Garrett is a fair deal from both sides imo..but the longer ya wait on signing Garrett long term? The price goes up with Yannick and a few others coming up next..

I think we saw in Njoku what the packers saw in D.Randall...but the Packers let some other team make this 5th year choice..and we did & than dumped him..  Njoku.. Berry got U a 2nd draft gift, till about the trade deadline...U decide!!

7 hours ago, Icecube said:

I know, but I wouldn't consider they changed teams constantly. All 3 of them (Favre too) switched teams in the late years of their career but still have a very important place in their original team's fandom's memory. 

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

I don't understand what this thing you call "true" is.  The team deserves precisely as much loyalty as they show the player - no more, no less.  If they want more loyalty, pay the player more.

100% agreed. That's why I called myself and idealist, because it is about mutual respect and a lot of the time that equals to payroll. I'm not putting all the blame on the players because owners and GMs have a lot of that responsibility. 

In that sense, American Football is quite weird: on the one hand you have a cap limit and that determines how much they can negotiate with, on the other hand, there are VERY different salaries depending on the position. Every team spot has different positions and some of them are more important, but it amazes me how the best safety in the NFL can play in a team can have a lower contract than an average or mediocre quarterback. 

I've always thought that must raise the tension in a locker room, at least a bit. 

13 hours ago, Icecube said:

Yea but don't forget the 2 seasons before his SB win, he was amazing, smashing records. 

True, but that wasn't the reason he was brought to Denver was it?

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

getting the 5th year on Garrett is a fair deal from both sides imo..but the longer ya wait on signing Garrett long term? The price goes up with Yannick and a few others coming up next..

I think we saw in Njoku what the packers saw in D.Randall...but the Packers let some other team make this 5th year choice..and we did & than dumped him..  Njoku.. Berry got U a 2nd draft gift, till about the trade deadline...U decide!!

Yup... Ripping up Myles' current deal and replacing it with a 7-year, front-loaded, $25-ish mm/yr deal would be the way to go IMO. It'll seem cheap before the ink is dry.

Njoku? As someone said above...  you pull his 5th-year trigger now in case he proves it this year.. or at least come close. But 2020 will determine how hard we go after a new deal with him.

Here are some MKC musings... https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/browns-have-exercised-5th-year-options-on-myles-garrett-and-david-njoku.html

She is reporting that effort will be made to extend both.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

True, but that wasn't the reason he was brought to Denver was it?

He was brought in to win games and a ring  - he did both. Anytime you QB puts up 5,000 yds and 55 TDs, it gives you a better chance to win. He limped down the stretch but found a way to win a ring. 

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

He was brought in to win games and a ring  - he did both. Anytime you QB puts up 5,000 yds and 55 TDs, it gives you a better chance to win. He limped down the stretch but found a way to win a ring. 

What I believe Tour means is that Peyton made some record seasons, yes, but at the time he was traded to Denver it was looking more like he was going downhill and the Colts had a better shot with Luck. So his case was more like an 'end of career' situation.