THE BROWNS BOARD

Mt. Rushmore of Coaches

The Gipper

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Not in his pro coaching term. 

of course - I meant college. He was one of the greatest college coaches.

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2020 at 11:38 AM, Bob806 said:

BB was/is a PR nightmare and when he cut Kosar, it riled up our fan base. 

Yet, he managed to put together a solid defense and was well on his way to doing great things here until Art destroyed it. 

He's won with defense, and he's won letting Brady throw 50+times. He's the master of salary cap football.

While I wouldn't expect the Pats in the SB this season, I wouldn't count them out of the playoffs. 

as i have said I was at the 50 front row in Seattle the week after Bernie was let go and trust me I didnt shut up the entire game cussing at Bill (we got are ass's kicked) bill turned around a few time's disgusted with me 

but you know I am not that kind of sports fan and was pissed at myself for acting that way and all ways wanted to apologize But damnit I was pissed 

Here is how I look at the career's of NFL's winning coaches. If your going to base a coach on most games won per season, that includes all playoff and Super Bowls , then you have to include the coaches from the earliest years. There was no Super Bowls prior to 1967. So the highest level a team can earn is the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. and back in those early years, they only played 12-14 games. So if you took George Halas, Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and Bill Bellicheck's total career win's, only the top 4 coaches with most wins should be honored as a member on Mt. Rushmore. 

57 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

Here is how I look at the career's of NFL's winning coaches. If your going to base a coach on most games won per season, that includes all playoff and Super Bowls , then you have to include the coaches from the earliest years. There was no Super Bowls prior to 1967. So the highest level a team can earn is the NFL CHAMPIONSHIP. and back in those early years, they only played 12-14 games. So if you took George Halas, Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, and Bill Bellicheck's total career win's, only the top 4 coaches with most wins should be honored as a member on Mt. Rushmore. 

Didn't you just sort of contradict yourself?    You conclude by saying that only  those with the most wins, including postseason, should be on Mt. Rushmore.......but then you preface it by acknowledging that in early years,  they only played  12-14 games per season.    Plus, recall that prior to 1966 (not 1967) ....there was only ever one single postseason game played...the NFL or AFL championship game.  So now, a team (coach)  can win as many as 3-4 playoff games in a single season....which obviously would ramp up the number of postseason wins current coaches make. 

You seem to be touting just the "most total wins"  as the criteria.  What about "best winning pct."  Equally as viable, wouldn't you say?   That would put  Guy Chamberlain, John Madden and George Allen on the mountain (along with Lombardi).    But, of course, I think the analysis has to go beyond either of those statistics...though they are both heavy factors. 

• Upvote 1