THE BROWNS BOARD

2009-2010 **CAMP BATTLES**

PlaygroundLegend

I just got one of my rare great ideas! A camp battle thread, and I cant wait to hear what you all have to say!!!

QB

Well well, the highlight of the summer....

In the left corner, sporting the orange #10 jersey, the golden domer himself, BRADY QUINN!! And in the right corner, standing at an astounding 6'6, sporting the rugged mountain man look with a touch of honolulu, the Drive Assasin himself, DEREK ANDERSON!!

brady-quinn.jpg VS medium_flagx.jpg

What I think

You know what I think, its Quinn for the win! With the new coaching staff, comes a new offense, one that has many similarities to the patriots-O, with a little AFC north power-running game, and personnel substitutions that will keep opposing D's on their toes. Who ran the Patriots O in college and had success? that was Quinn, who posted a great QB rating in his first ever NFL start with only a few days to prepare? Quinn again, Who is more mobile in the pocket and can extend the play against tough AFC North defenses? I get it! Quinn! And lets not talk about wonderlic scores.... j/k

WR

We have many fighting for those number 2 & 3 spots, but who will come down with the crown? Here we have Brian Robiskie, standing at 6'3 210lbs, with a 40 time of 4.52 and a verticle of 37.5, Then we have Mohammed Massoquoi, standing at 6'2 210lbs, with a 40 time of 4.49 and a verticle of 36.5, we also have Mike Furrey, standing at 6'0 195lbs his attributes are unknown but he is quick and probably has a great shuttle time, Paul Hubbard, standing at 6'3 219lbs, with a 40 time of 4.38 and a verticle of 39.5 (holy shit), Syndric Steptoe, standing at 5'9 192lbs, with a 40 time of 4.55 and a verticle of 36.5.

2983663539_616ae7f492.jpgb-Mohamed-Massaquoi-at-4246951f6903.jpeg18532.a.jpghubbardrh.jpgsteptoess.jpg

What I think

Well I think that Robiskie and Furrey are going to take 2 and 3. Robiskie is basically a pro reciever and he has a ton of upside to get better, Furrey has been there, is wuick, and has sure hands. Experience will win it here. I differ from many others and think Hubbard gets the last spot, he was drafted last year and we cant just throw a gifted athlete away like that yet look at Eli. Hubbard still needs to grow and he can become an Elite reciever, look at his measurables dammit! I think steptoe may stay in some capacity because he's a good guy, but we only have so much room.

ILB

We have Eric Barton, and our new flashy draftee from the 50th state David Veikune.

amd_barton.jpguhs27fs9.jpg

What I think

Its no secret that Mangini wants to move Veikune to MLB, the question is how soon? This is why I think Eric starts the year out, and leads the change in D, then the second half of the year we will start seeing Veikune next to DQ.

Cornerback

Eric Wright, B-Mac, and Rod Hood

10jets_slide4.jpg

What I think

So many people here praise Eric Wright, and shit on B-Mac, when actually, B-mac had a better year than Wright last year, and he gets hated for 1 play where he was burned by Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler of all dynamic duo' with no safety help, sorry but that just not fair. I also would like to point out that Wright has a few flaws in his game, you know, the: "I'm gonna give every reciever a 10 yard cusion so I dont get burned deep" flaw. He is a great athlete, and a very good swatter, but the thing I like about B-Mac is his aggressiveness, he hits hard, plays tight man coverage, and even jams bigger recivers at the line, not to mention he's brought down a few RB's in his day. I just want to point out that I dont think hood is taking B-macs spot at any point, I think if anyone is on the hot seat, its Wright, or actaully maybe hood himself with up and comer Don Carey (who still has a lot to learn).

I just realized we have a pretty sweet CB set now...

DL

Kenyon Coleman, Robaire Smith

Coming Soon...

OLB

Alex Hall, and David Bowens

I'd love to see Hubbard make the team, because he's a freak athlete with enormous upside... but I don't think the Browns took Massoquoi at #50 to make him a special teams player. He'll be the 2nd, 3rd, or at worst 4th WR.

I agree that Robiskie is most likely to start and Furrey was everything you'd want in a slot... a couple years ago. Early returns were promising.

By 2010, you might have Massoquoi and Robiskie starting... and that might be a very good thing. Other teams have had a lot of success with 2nd round WRs, like Greg Jennngs.

A couple of years ago we had like 3 or 4 2nd rd receivers starting for us in Kevin Johnson, Adre Davis, Dennis Northcutt, and Quincy Morgan maybe? I might have a couple of those wrong but they did pretty well considering the revolving door at Qb since our return. I think that giving our new green Wrs some clock this year with the intention of them both starting next year is a great thing. Build with young talent now and reap the rewards for years to come.

ILB

Don't forget Beau Belle. I know we haven't heard squat about him or from him...but remember, he was coming off of injury when we drafted him...and got injured early in the preseason. If he is healthy, he may actually make a dent in that ILB rotation.

WR

The Browns currently have 11 (yes, 11) WR's on the roster. Stallworth is likely just on because we can't financially cut him at this time...so that cuts it to 10. Last year we carried 6 total...so that means 4 have to go.

Braylon Edwards will stay...

Joshua Cribbs will stay (the contract will be worked out)...

You can count on Massaquoi and Robiskie to get slots...

Furrey is about as sure a thing as anyone as well...

That leaves 1 slot for the following:

Steptoe (2yrs)

Hubbard (1yr)

Leggett (1yr)

Norwood (rookie)

Patten (13yrs)

Truth is, Patten is likely gone. He is nice to have around for training camp as a backup...but he isn't going to take the slot of a player that can represent the future. Norwood is a UDFA and likely to either get released...or best case for him, go to the practice squad. That leaves it down to Steptoe, Hubbard and Leggett. Of the 3, only Steptoe saw the field last year. However, in 16 games he managed only 19 receptions for under 10 y/c and zero TD's. He also caughed up a fumble. Add into that the fact he is the smallest of the 3 by far...and may actually be the slowest...and was not utilized a ton in ST (I think Harrison or Massaquoi may get those reps) and I think he may be out of the picture.

If I had to hazzard a guess, I would say Leggett goes to the practice squad again and Hubbard latches on for the last spot.

I'm hoping Norwood at least makes the practice squad. I think he has the potential to be a very good WR.

I agree. There is something about norwood that makes me think he will be a very solid contributor in a couple years. I see him slightly better than Dante Hall and maybe just under Steve Smith.

im a PSU homer.....norwood has great hands....maybe a bit undersized, but he was never afraid to go over the middle. has to make the PS at the very least.

I"m an OSU homer. I watched him play quite a bit on the Big Ten Channel and the kid is undersized but flat out loves to play ball. Really good hands, shifty, and like you said not afraid to go over the middle. I like the pick up a lot. Hope he finds his way on the squad.

I'm hoping Norwood at least makes the practice squad. I think he has the potential to be a very good WR.

Know what I am looking for? I want to see some coaching up of some of these guys, like the best teams seem to bring along to replace unsigned Free Agents thoese teams let go.

I"m an OSU homer. I watched him play quite a bit on the Big Ten Channel and the kid is undersized but flat out loves to play ball. Really good hands, shifty, and like you said not afraid to go over the middle. I like the pick up a lot. Hope he finds his way on the squad.

Be nice if Furrey can help the kid become a slot receiver.

Fast, athletic and great hands help, but he NEEDS to be a stud on ST's this year. He has to!

Be nice if Furrey can help the kid become a slot receiver.

Fast, athletic and great hands help, but he NEEDS to be a stud on ST's this year. He has to!

I agree. Hopefully Furrey can learn him a thing or two. I'm going to assume Mangini sees certain players as projections at certain positions but in order for him to want to give them the time to develop he'll probably demand some sort of contribution most likely on ST.

Cleveland%20Browns%20v%20Detroit%20Lions%203fey8i1K8Ppm.jpg VS. New%20York%20Jets%20v%20Buffalo%20Bills%20fBnnBSTfijPl.jpg

What I think

Personally, Im gonna go with Alex Hall, he was one of savages late round picks, but he might be a star in the making, he is even said to impress Mangini, not to mention racking up 3 sacks last year without hardly any playing time. Bowens and Mangini are good buddies, just look up david bowens ongoogle image search and you will see numerous pics of him with mangini, but I think Mangini is going to play the better player, and Alex Hall can only get better, wheras bowens is on the back 9 if you know what I mean.

Archived