THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL / Covid Updates

darren15

16 hours ago, PoeticG said:
5% to 20% -- Percentage of the U.S. population that will get the flu, on average, each year. 200,000 -- Average number of Americans hospitalized each year because of problems with the illness. 3,000 to 49,000 -- Number of people who die each year from flu -related causes in the U.S.
www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-statistics
How many people die from the flu each year?
It is estimated that the flu results in 31.4 million outpatient visits and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year. During the severe 2017-2018 flu season, one of the longest in recent years, estimates indicate that more than 900,000 people were hospitalized and more than 80,000 people died from flu.
www.healthline.com/health/influenza/facts-and-statistics

Po....there's 257,000 dead worldwide from COVID 19 in what?  4 months?    C'mon man! 

On 5/4/2020 at 7:14 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Because posters with common sense don't bother with the MAGA cesspool that is the Political Board. 

That forum should be forced to ingest Clorox. 

Hey- there'e a few of us that venture over to the poli board to piss the MAGAs off with opposing views. :)  

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:
5% to 20% -- Percentage of the U.S. population that will get the flu, on average, each year. 200,000 -- Average number of Americans hospitalized each year because of problems with the illness. 3,000 to 49,000 -- Number of people who die each year from flu -related causes in the U.S.
www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-statistics
How many people die from the flu each year?
It is estimated that the flu results in 31.4 million outpatient visits and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year. During the severe 2017-2018 flu season, one of the longest in recent years, estimates indicate that more than 900,000 people were hospitalized and more than 80,000 people died from flu.
www.healthline.com/health/influenza/facts-and-statistics

Po, we're at 67,000 deaths in two months. I wouldn't bet against the death toll topping 100,000 by the end of the month. One thing we do know for sure- if you start showing symptoms the mortality rate is WAY higher than flu. Do the quick math- flu 31 million cases, 80,000 deaths. Covid so far 1.2 million cases, 67,000 deaths. that's at least 20 times more fatal. 

OK, we have yet to figure out with any reliability how many cases are mild or asymptomatic. That's what makes this booger so dangerous. When you get the flu, you know it. Covid? You can feel perfectly normal, and go around infecting anyone you come in contact with.  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Po....there's 257,000 dead worldwide from COVID 19 in what?  4 months?    C'mon man! 

I understand that, but what I'm saying is-

Typically, in a year's normal two flu seasons (one per hemisphere), there are between three and five million cases of severe illness and around 650,000 deaths worldwide, which by some definitions is a yearly influenza epidemic.

In the United States, flu season occurs in the fall and winter. While influenza viruses circulate year-round, most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, but activity can last as late as May. The overall health impact (e.g., infections, hospitalizations, and deaths) of a flu season varies from season to season.

25 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

In the United States, flu season occurs in the fall and winter. While influenza viruses circulate year-round, most of the time flu activity peaks between December and February, but activity can last as late as May. The overall health impact (e.g., infections, hospitalizations, and deaths) of a flu season varies from season to season.

Have some data... All "flu" data are from CDC. Covid-19 is latest from Johns Hopkins.

Flu Stats.ods

32 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Have some data... All "flu" data are from CDC. Covid-19 is latest from Johns Hopkins.

Flu Stats.ods

Probably the TOUR2MA VIRUS... ;)

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Have you been hitting your knees and praying that Saquon Barkley makes it through this? 

It preys on fear, Barkley doesn't have any of that in him! ;)

- just kidding. BTW

52 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I understand that, but what I'm saying is-

Typically, in a year's normal two flu seasons (one per hemisphere), there are between three and five million cases of severe illness and around 650,000 deaths worldwide, which by some definitions is a yearly influenza epidemic.

First, you show us that 80,000 people a year die from the flu. Now it's 650,000. 

16 hours ago, D Bone said:

PoG and I...... who could've seen this unlikely pairing of minds coming together? 

Jeez, I fear texting drivers - not only for myself, but for my entire family and friends, far more than I do COVID. 

According to Princess Newscum, CA is possibly starting to reopen by weeks end, so maybe, just maybe, I can save the family owned business that my hard working, uneducated father launched all by himself 47 years ago...... but I don't know if it's possible. 

Some people lost a loved one, others will lose everything else.

I think one thing that may be getting discounted here is that the loss of our livelihoods is far more frightening for some of us than the virus itself. I too am a second generation owner of a family business, and there’s a shit ton of pride in that and an equal amount of concern right now. 

It’s not just a job or a paycheck. Prior to now it was a fine tuned vehicle through life for myself and my family built through a hellacious amount of time and effort from my father and l over 35 years. 

It’s deeply personal. It’s my contribution to the world so a lot of my perceived self worth is tied into it. Life is finite, but if we play our cards right we can create things that outlive us and benefit our future generations.

There are a lot of people’s life’s work at risk right now. It’s frightening and quite the burden for those of us tasked with carrying a torch through these tenuous times. 

And by and large we get it. Save lives, it’s the right thing to do, yadda yadda. But none of that changes what l would do to get back to the daily grind. Volunteer to get a Covid 19 injection up the ass? Sign me up.

• Upvote 1

The 650,000 is common flu deaths per year world wide...

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

First, you show us that 80,000 people a year die from the flu. Now it's 650,000. 

Maybe the best thing to come out of this is going to be lower common flu deaths each year because all those dirty people finally decide to wash their filthy hands... 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think one thing that may be getting discounted here is that the loss of our livelihoods is far more frightening for some of us than the virus itself. I too am a second generation owner of a family business, and there’s a shit ton of pride in that and an equal amount of concern right now. 

It’s not just a job or a paycheck. Prior to now it was a fine tuned vehicle through life for myself and my family built through a hellacious amount of time and effort from my father and l over 35 years. 

It’s deeply personal. It’s my contribution to the world so a lot of my perceived self worth is tied into it. Life is finite, but if we play our cards right we can create things that outlive us and benefit our future generations.

There are a lot of people’s life’s work at risk right now. It’s frightening and quite the burden for those of us tasked with carrying a torch through these tenuous times. 

And by and large we get it. Save lives, it’s the right thing to do, yadda yadda. But none of that changes what l would do to get back to the daily grind. Volunteer to get a Covid 19 injection up the ass? Sign me up.

Dude... so well said, and until you sign that bottom front right of checks, and not just the back, then you will never get it.  

• Upvote 1

@PoeticG

I think I can put it in terms you can understand

COVID is like Saquan Barkley. He has good yards per carry (infection rate) and has the ability to take any run the distance (death rate) especially the closer he is to the end zone (older the patient). This is especially true if the defense fails at their assignment or has a busted play (pre existing condition). Other teams watch film specifically on him (wear PPE) and coaches create gameplans to stop him (social distancing). They'll load the box (lock down order) if needed.

The flu is more like Trent Richardson. His yards per carry aren't as high and he probably isn't taking one to the house, let alone a long one. Defensive screw ups help him, but he's not as likely to capitalize. Opposing teams and coaches also don't really do any special prep work for him. They especially aren't going to worry about loading the box. This gives Trent a more advantageous situation to gain yards than Saquan, but he still doesn't do much with it.

Get it now?

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's do the math. The earth, on average, has about 156,000 deaths per day from all causes. Covid-19 deaths, year to date are 256,377. Today, there have been 126 days, year to date. This amounts to about 2,035 deaths per day, on average. That means that COVID-19 deaths amount to about 1.3% of all global deaths (2,035/156,000). Here is how this compares to WHO data from 2015. These are percentage of total deaths worldwide for each cause.

Heart disease = 15.5%

Stroke = 11.1%

Lower Respiratory Infections = 5.6%

COPD = 5.6%

Respiratory Cancers = 3.0%

Diabetes = 2.8%

Dementias = 2.7%

Diarrheal Diseases = 2.7%

Tuberculosis = 2.4%

Automobile accidents = 2.4%

You're twice as likely to die from a motor vehicle accident or from diarrhea than you are to die from COVID-19. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this pandemic.

Your thoughts?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol..

You climbed all the way up here from the pit to post this drivel?

Also, it does not count towards your monthly football related quota.

Oh look ...a dimwit playin the drivel card because he's too stupid to understand what's being said.

Either Seibert is really that ignorant, or he was just throwing shit against the wall because he hates or is at odds with the current state of affairs.

Out of hate for something you never made exaggerations or hurled things you knew may not be true?

Lets examine one thing Seibert said:

"This so called 'disease'...contrast that with frustrated Browns fans saying " This so called "pro" football team.  Well we all know that COVID is really a disease and the Browns really are a pro football team.

Did that help clear things up?

5 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

You, or your wife or kids or parents could get sick and die......yet  the "loss of your livelihood" is more frightening?  

THE CORONAVIRUS IS GOING TO KILL US ALL! OR WORSE... MESS WITH THE ...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

Let's do the math. The earth, on average, has about 156,000 deaths per day from all causes. Covid-19 deaths, year to date are 256,377. Today, there have been 126 days, year to date. This amounts to about 2,035 deaths per day, on average. That means that COVID-19 deaths amount to about 1.3% of all global deaths (2,035/156,000). Here is how this compares to WHO data from 2015. These are percentage of total deaths worldwide for each cause.

Heart disease = 15.5%

Stroke = 11.1%

COPD = 5.6%

Diabetes = 2.8%

Dementias = 2.7%

Tuberculosis = 2.4%

You're twice as likely to die from a motor vehicle accident or from diarrhea than you are to die from COVID-19. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this pandemic.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts?

I won't forget to put roses on your grave. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

My thoughts?

I won't forget to put roses on your grave. 

I respect the planet. I will be cremated.

You, or your wife or kids or parents could get sick and die......yet  the "loss of your livelihood" is more frightening?  

Says the guy getting his payroll deposit twice per month.... then gets his golden handshake for the rest of his life

7 hours ago, D Bone said:

Heart disease = 15.5%

Stroke = 11.1%

COPD = 5.6%

Diabetes = 2.8%

Dementias = 2.7%

Tuberculosis = 2.4%

Your thoughts?

I did the math with Spain weeks ago. Looking at the death count every year, there are 1,200 deaths per day. With coronavirus, we have had 700 deaths per day for some days, and 500 deaths per day for many weeks. And those are the confirmed deaths by COVID, the ones that go to the statistics. 

In my opinion, when something amounts  for weeks as much the 42% of the normal death toll of a country where social distancing has been mandatory for months, it's scary. Morgues have been overworking.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

I did the math with Spain weeks ago. Looking at the death count every year, there are 1,200 deaths per day. With coronavirus, we have had 700 deaths per day for some days, and 500 deaths per day for many weeks. And those are the confirmed deaths by COVID, the ones that go to the statistics. 

In my opinion, when something amounts  for weeks as much the 42% of the normal death toll of a country where social distancing has been mandatory for months, it's scary. Morgues have been overworking.

Thanks for the input Nero, always much appreciated by you. Those numbers are certainly attention grabbing, no doubt about it. I hope you and yours are all well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nero said:

That's where the "its just the flu" crowd loses me.

This is going to kill way more people than "just the regular flu" and that's AFTER the U.S. shut down a huge portion of the country. What would the Covid death totals look like if every thing was still business as usual? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's where the "its just the flu" crowd loses me.

This is going to kill way more people than "just the regular flu" and that's AFTER the U.S. shut down a huge portion of the country. What would the Covid death totals look like if every thing was still business as usual? 

That's the thing many protestors and others forget

"There are barely any deaths from Covid! We need to end social distancing!"

The deaths are only "low" BECAUSE we're social distancing

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, nickers said:

Fuck you... you do the work!

Why? You wouldn't believe me anyway.

All the pieces are in the links I posted...

... some assembly required.

12 hours ago, Gorka said:

Oh look ...a dimwit playin the drivel card because he's too stupid to understand what's being said.

lol... you can't seem to decide whether to condescend or underestimate when it comes to me.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Top notch comprehension skills there Gip, haha. Yes, that is my “most frightening thing” right now. But it’s just my own most frightening thing and l’m well aware it’s not everyone’s most frightening thing. That’s how society works here. We throw our deepest concerns at one another and/or elected officials and hope for a good middle ground solution.

My deepest concern is just a part of the equation, but it’s a concern shared by others and is important enough that l would like it to get the levity of consideration that it deserves.