THE BROWNS BOARD

Robiskie signed

Sez

Cleveland Browns sign rookie Robiskie

Posted by mcabot July 30, 2009 19:51PM

Browns second-round receiver Brian Robiskie agreed to terms on a four-year deal Thursday evening, his agent Joel Segal said.

Terms of the deal were undisclosed. Robiskie, the 36th pick overall out of Ohio State, was the last remaining unsigned Browns rookie. He will compete for a starting receiver job opposite Braylon Edwards.

"Brian is looking forward to getting into camp and helping the Browns win,'' Segal said.

Veterans are due to report on Friday and the first two practices open to the public are Saturday at 8:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m

459725.jpg

What's up with that moniker.. I AM the SEZ on this board..Sez me.. Sez.EJ ..hahah. Whadaya got 2 posts under your belt on this board....that's not right.

Got'em all into camp.. good job Mr. K .. Grade of A for the first draft class of getting them all signed.. A+ is only if they all get to rookie camp on time..but nice work.

look...our season depends on the FK from Michigan.... believe it or not! robiske as tonto might very well happen.... it might fkn not! patten should make the squad....hubbard better develop lester hays hands if he's to make team. he's a dummy IMO...I want norwood to Be special team maven.....otherwise as I said last year Lance moore escaped...as will norwood if we dont make a stand... hubbard is quincy / whatever

Great news, no stupid camp holdouts to contend with, nice and business like. Good vibes come from berea. I wish wish wish I could be at camp, it's been the longest off season ever. I think we will gain some respect this year. It's so close, thank the lord.

PS Can someone enlighten me as to the commitment, if any, a drafted player has to the club that selects him. A drafted player is selected and then the club signs a deal with him, but is there ever an occasion when terms are not agreed? Is the player in effect free to go back into the market? Sorry for asking but it's a point I am not clear on.

Thanks. Howie.

PS Can someone enlighten me as to the commitment, if any, a drafted player has to the club that selects him. A drafted player is selected and then the club signs a deal with him, but is there ever an occasion when terms are not agreed? Is the player in effect free to go back into the market? Sorry for asking but it's a point I am not clear on.

Thanks. Howie.

They enter the draft (and I believe it is supplemental) the following year. They are not FA's.

per the draft question, It happened with John Elway, he was drafted in 1983 by one team (Baltimore), but wouldn't play for them. He played two years of baseball and the entered the 1985 draft where Denver selected him.

Per Wikipedia:

<quote>Supplemental Draft

Since 1977, the NFL has also held a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft. Players generally enter the Supplementary Draft because they missed the filing deadline for the NFL Draft or because issues developed which affected their eligibility (such as athletic or disciplinary matters). The draft is scheduled to occur at some point after the regular draft and before the start of the next season. In 2009, the Supplemental Draft occurred on July 16.

Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, FS Paul Oliver was taken by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round of the Supplemental Draft in 2007; thus, in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Chargers forfeited a fourth-round pick.)

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his favorite team, the Cleveland Browns. They advised Kosar to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a recurrence of this incident.

As of 2009, 38 players have been taken in the Supplemental Draft.</quote>

I thought this was interesting as I was wondering who we traded the rights to draft him with. Did we give up our #1 pick in 1986 for Bernie?

per the draft question, It happened with John Elway, he was drafted in 1983 by one team (Baltimore), but wouldn't play for them. He played two years of baseball and the entered the 1985 draft where Denver selected him.

Per Wikipedia:

In the 1983 NFL Draft, Elway was selected as the first overall pick by the Baltimore Colts. Elway had, by then, played two summers of minor league baseball for the New York Yankees organization. Additionally, Elway had publicly stated that he refused to join the Colts organization, feeling the team could not allow him to be successful. If they did not trade him he said he was going to play baseball. Eventually, Colts owner Robert Irsay gave in. The Colts traded him to the Denver Broncos for QB Mark Herrmann, rights to OL Chris Hinton and a first-round pick (OG Ron Solt) in the 1984 NFL Draft on May 2, 1983. John Elway is one of three quarterbacks in the history of the NFL Draft (started in 1936) to be drafted #1 and go on to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The other two are Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman.[3]

Per Wikipedia:

In the 1983 NFL Draft, Elway was selected as the first overall pick by the Baltimore Colts. Elway had, by then, played two summers of minor league baseball for the New York Yankees organization. Additionally, Elway had publicly stated that he refused to join the Colts organization, feeling the team could not allow him to be successful. If they did not trade him he said he was going to play baseball. Eventually, Colts owner Robert Irsay gave in. The Colts traded him to the Denver Broncos for QB Mark Herrmann, rights to OL Chris Hinton and a first-round pick (OG Ron Solt) in the 1984 NFL Draft on May 2, 1983. John Elway is one of three quarterbacks in the history of the NFL Draft (started in 1936) to be drafted #1 and go on to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The other two are Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman.[3]

Great info

John Elway is one of three quarterbacks in the history of the NFL Draft (started in 1936) to be drafted #1 and go on to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The other two are Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman.

Interesting.

And per the Romo signing, isn't 4 years a lttle too soon for the Browns to allow him to be a FA?

You know, as "inexperienced" as our front office is (in their current positions--they have plenty of front office experience in roles that don't carry the same titles or "buck-stops-here" responsibility) with Kokinis and Aponte...

When they sat down to start negotiating, it took like 3 to 5 days tops to get a deal done.

One thing I read was that Aponte came to the table with good deals (both for club and player) right away, rather than trying to low-ball anyone.

I'm impressed.

Archived