THE BROWNS BOARD

Well done, but took me to nite 3 to learn anything new.

If you are even slightly into the Civil War and have not read Shelby Foote's trilogy, then do your self a favor and read it. Shelby was the interesting grey beard commentator with the slow southern drawl in Ken Burns' PBS series. Shelby was a novelist by trade who spent 20 years of his life researching and writing this work. The result is a spectacular account of the conflict that is as engrossing as it is detailed.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

If you are even slightly into the Civil War and have not read Shelby Foote's trilogy, then do your self a favor and read it. Shelby was the interesting grey beard commentator with the slow southern drawl in Ken Burns' PBS series. Shelby was a novelist by trade who spent 20 years of his life researching and writing this work. The result is a spectacular account of the conflict that is as engrossing as it is detailed.

Gotta agree..  I wish this had been a Ken Burns film.. I think it would've been much better... And Ken Burns would've made it a 3 hour movie instead of a mini series.. This was one of those topics that didn't need 3 nights to tell us basically what we already knew.. But I will check out the Shelby Foote series you suggested.. Good job on the general production.. But the guy playing Grant looked more like a Livery store owner dressed as a union soldier...

I had learned a lot from that outstanding documentary.  Grant was the first 3 star general. A master battlefield strategist who saved the union earned him the rank of Lieutenant General. Son of an abolitionist who became the first civil rights president. Buried in history imo.

Grant's bust would (should) be on Mt. Rushmore if it weren't for a guy named Lincoln.

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I have it in paperback and a signed Easton Press leatherbound edition. Most readable of all history books I have ever read. So many well tied together "eyewitness" accounts brings it all alive.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 6:22 PM, nickers said:

But I will check out the Shelby Foote series you suggested.

You'll be glad you did...

... and equally glad if you don't have Foote's southern drawl stuck in your head as you read it.

I swear it added days to my reading of the set.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

You'll be glad you did...

... and equally glad if you don't have Foote's southern drawl stuck in your head as you read it.

I swear it added days to my reading of the set.

Yes, but he did so well imitating Nathan Bedford Forrest's great grand-daughter with her negative reaction to Foote's comparing her forefather's genius with that of Lincoln, "Ma famaly does not particulahly approve of Mista Lincoln." Or words to that affect if I recall correctly.

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yes, but he did so well imitating Nathan Bedford Forrest's great grand-daughter with her negative reaction to Foote's comparing her forefather's genius with that of Lincoln, "Ma famaly does not particulahly approve of Mista Lincoln." Or words to that affect if I recall correctly.

Wasn't Nathan Bedford Forrest the founder of the KKK?  So who gives a flying fuck what she or her family think of Mr. Lincoln?

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Wasn't Nathan Bedford Forrest the founder of the KKK?  So who gives a flying fuck what she or her family think of Mr. Lincoln?

No one. I'm just pointing out the voice he used with a grin when describing that interview he had with her in researching his trilogy. He was basically saying that

KKK mentality was still being passed on to later generations. And I can tell you for certain it still is. I no long play racquetball with one of my friends when he told 

a retired military black player who had just joined us that he should go back to his own country (a multiple generation American so this is his country). None of the several 

other black players  we participate with will play with him any more and neither will I. Not surprisingly he came from that other Texas-deep east Texas. I'm sure Tour 

could verify how backward most are there still.

• Sad 1