Matt LaPorta

Grady Sizemore

Designated Hitters

Travis Hafner

Disabled List

Trevor Crowe

Anthony Reyes

Jake Westbrook

To try to clear it up, here's what I've read about all of the guys we traded for.

Justin Masterson - Cleveland

Chris Perez - Cleveland

Carlos Carrasco - Columbus

Lou Marson - Columbus

Jason Donald - Columbus

Jess Todd - Columbus

Connor Graham - Akron

The other four are divided between Lake County and Kinston

There are enough posts on the trades...here's a thread about what's actually happening with our current team.

Mike Gosling and Winston Abreu *GASP* designated for assignment, Jensen Lewis and Justin Masterson will take their spots.

Lewis has been truly killing in Columbus, going 18.2 innings without giving up a single run, striking out 28 compared to 20 combined walks and hits. I loved him last year (something like 18 for 18 in save opps) and hope he's re-found whatever it is he lost.

Lewis-Perez-Perez-Sipp-Todd should be a very nice bullpen combo by the end of the year and for years to come.

CIMO, nice new Avatar, I was wondering who you were going to go with now that V-Mart is gone and I think you made a nice choice.

I completely agree with you on the bullpen, Perez and Todd both seem like the real deal, and if one or the other of Raffi or Jensen Lewis can get their stuff back that is a great start to a bullpen.

Sipp has had a nice season so far but I am not going to call him a long term piece yet.

Hopefully we might not get scored on in EVERY 8th inning from here on out.

I'm a big Sipp fan, especially considering what he's went through being so close to the majors before going under the knife.

His career minor league stats are far too good to judge him this early in the majors, and even now his stats aren't that bad. Batters are only hitting .207 on him (small sample, obviously) and he's getting over a strikeout per inning...just needs to work on his location, giving up too many walks and extra base hits (of the 12 hits he's given up, 8 were doubles or home runs). I still think he can be really good.

I'm a big Sipp fan, especially considering what he's went through being so close to the majors before going under the knife.

His career minor league stats are far too good to judge him this early in the majors, and even now his stats aren't that bad. Batters are only hitting .207 on him (small sample, obviously) and he's getting over a strikeout per inning...just needs to work on his location, giving up too many walks and extra base hits (of the 12 hits he's given up, 8 were doubles or home runs). I still think he can be really good.

And the way he just undressed Granderson renews my faith even more...Sipp has some electric stuff, just needs to get the location and the mental aspect down to be a real major leaguer.

Still, WHY trade MeLoan to TB for Abreu. I didn't even realize that this trade happened until about 2 weeks ago.

Seeing Masterson come in last night out of the pen does not make me happy. I'm hoping this is just a matter of giving him more work and stretching him back out to be in the rotation.

In my opinion, Sowers is middle relief, nothing more. When all he can ever give you is max 5 IP, before getting lit up, it's a no brain-er for me. Put him in the pen, use him as long relief. He's shown he can be very effective in a 3 inning role. He's a really smart guy, and I do like him a lot, but I think his effectiveness is a result of his intelligence. He doesn't have a single pitch that is an out pitch. Gets outs by out thinking hitters, but good hitters are able to pick up on that, and adjust. 3rd time through the lineup he always gets hit hard.

So I'm just hoping that Masterson is going to take Sowers out of the rotation before the season is out. I'd like to see him, Huff, Laffey and Carmona get a good # of innings before going into next year.

Seeing Masterson come in last night out of the pen does not make me happy. I'm hoping this is just a matter of giving him more work and stretching him back out to be in the rotation.

That's what their plan is. They said they are just going to stretch him out like you said and he will start after a couple more pen appearances.

Still, WHY trade MeLoan to TB for Abreu. I didn't even realize that this trade happened until about 2 weeks ago.

In my opinion, Sowers is middle relief, nothing more. When all he can ever give you is max 5 IP, before getting lit up, it's a no brain-er for me. Put him in the pen, use him as long relief. He's shown he can be very effective in a 3 inning role. He's a really smart guy, and I do like him a lot, but I think his effectiveness is a result of his intelligence. He doesn't have a single pitch that is an out pitch. Gets outs by out thinking hitters, but good hitters are able to pick up on that, and adjust. 3rd time through the lineup he always gets hit hard.

So I'm just hoping that Masterson is going to take Sowers out of the rotation before the season is out. I'd like to see him, Huff, Laffey and Carmona get a good # of innings before going into next year.

Agreed on just about everything. You kinda feel sympathy for Sowers since you know he has it in him, but like clockwork, after 4 or 5 innings he gets shelled. I loved Laffey coming out of the bullpen earlier this year (and in the playoffs against Boston), but I can obviously see the value of keeping him a starter. Sowers could be the same guy, I don't know if he has the mentality or aggressiveness to be a lights-out, 1, 2 or even 3 inning guy like Laffey could, but he definitely has the ability to get hitters out the first time through a lineup. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him as a long(ish) reliever once the higher upside guys start settling into the rotation.

Here comes another new guy...

Jose Veras is DFA'd to make room for Jess Todd, via Castro.

Only pitched in three games for the Clippers, but he's put up great numbers for the year.

todd-1.jpg

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=519357

And I swapped two of my first posts...put the current 25-man roster on top for easy access.

Castro's Minutia today also touched on a lot of roster move-related info.

It appears Justin Masterson's transition from the bullpen to the rotation will be a quick one. Eric Wedge said Masterson could join the rotation as early as the next run through, which would be next week. Masterson threw 46 pitches in his debut Saturday, and he threw on the side today. Wedge hopes to get Masterson three innings out of the bullpen in his next appearance. If not, Masterson will throw on the side after the appearance to make sure he reaches the adequate pitch count.

Masterson said he's not worried about the toll this transition could take on his arm, because he started six games early this year and has, in his own opinion, a "rubber arm." But he said he'll have to be careful to communicate how he's feeling at all times.

The Indians like the adjustments they've seen from Trevor Crowe since his latest callup. "He's more under control," Wedge said. "He's doing a better job with his balance and overall approach. He's always had a lot of ability and athleticism. He really went down there and got better."

Jake Westbrook starts for Double-A Akron tonight against Connecticute. He's scheduled to go three innings or 50 pitches and will be followed by the newly acquired Connor Graham.

Left-hander Scott Barnes, acquired in last week's trade sending Ryan Garko to the Giants, made his second start for Class A Kinston last night and held

Lynchburg and worked 4 2/3 scoreless innings, allowing four hits with two walks and three strikeouts.

The two Minor League pitchers acquired in the Victor Martinez trade will make their organizational debuts this week. Right-hander Bryan Price will make tonight's start against Lynchburg for Kinston, and left-hander Nick Hagadone will start Thursday against Hagerstown for Class A Lake County.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ers_we_tee.html

Westbrook pitched two innings tonight, giving up 4 hits, 1 homer, 2 earned. Struck out two and walked none.

And on that Crowe tidbit...I know everyone seems shocked that LaPorta and/or Brantley isn't up here...but this is clearly evaluation time. This could be the last time we get an extended look at Crowe and Marte, whereas LaPorta and Brantley are already in our long-term plans. If nothing else, it's a final showcase for these guys if another team wants to give them a shot.

And on that Crowe tidbit...I know everyone seems shocked that LaPorta and/or Brantley isn't up here...but this is clearly evaluation time. This could be the last time we get an extended look at Crowe and Marte, whereas LaPorta and Brantley are already in our long-term plans. If nothing else, it's a final showcase for these guys if another team wants to give them a shot.

Yea I can actually get on board with this. As much as I'd like to see LaPorta come up for good, he's still going to have to sit half of the time because they'll need to give Crowe some PT. And with Marte at 1b, I'd rather see if he finally has it together, than have LaPorta bouncing between OF and 1b.

If they were to shut Sizemore down though, and run Crowe out in center, LaPorta could get everyday starts in left. Though I'm really hoping he ends up being the Indians everyday first baseman. We'll have to see how he plays there though. Can't possibly be worse than Garko.

I think Brantley is going to stick around in Columbus for a while though. I'm not convinced he'll get a late season call-up even.

I really like Crowe. He plays all out all the time.

It's nice that LaPorta can play OF but I think with our depth in the outfield with Grady, Choo, Crowe, Brantley, Giminez, etc. that he is going to end up playing 1st/DH.

It's kind of a defense/offense thing because he is more valuable offensively in the outfield and defensively at first.

Just saw this one....25-man at the top edited accordingly.

The Cleveland Indians shed another veteran today by trading starting pitcher Carl Pavano to the Minnesota Twins for a player to be named later. Relief pitcher Rafael Perez was recalled from Columbus.

Cleveland GM Mark Shapiro said in a teleconference this afternoon that the Twins claimed Pavano on waivers, which set the deal into motion. Internal numbers and getting ready for next season helped it get done quickly.

"This trade is more about creating an opportunity for us to continue to evaluate and develop the starters that will be in place for next season," he said.

That includes trade acquisition Justin Masterson, who moves from the bullpen into the rotation on Saturday. Shapiro also was talking about Fausto Carmona, Aaron Laffey, David Huff and Jeremy Sowers, each of whom spent time in the Clippers rotation this season.

"We had six guys for five spots," he said. "This presented us with an opportunity to both acquire a player and to continue to give opportunties to the five guys in the rotation as well as potentially opportunities for guys like Carlos Carrasco and Hector Rondon at triple-A as we go through the remainder of the season."

http://blog.dispatch.com/clippers/2009/08/..._perez_up.shtml

CIMO, nice new Avatar, I was wondering who you were going to go with now that V-Mart is gone and I think you made a nice choice.

I completely agree with you on the bullpen, Perez and Todd both seem like the real deal, and if one or the other of Raffi or Jensen Lewis can get their stuff back that is a great start to a bullpen.

Sipp has had a nice season so far but I am not going to call him a long term piece yet.

Hopefully we might not get scored on in EVERY 8th inning from here on out.

After his last start, I had to go back to my old Laffey avatar....but I have to say, this Righty/Lefty combo of Perez/Sipp is becoming one of my favorite parts of this team....getting out of a bases loaded, no outs jam....Perez making Thome look stupid with that slider.

• 2 weeks later...

From Castro...

Scott Lewis has landed on the disabled list. Again. Only this time, he's on the Triple-A Columbus DL, rather than the Major League DL. According to head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff, Lewis is dealing with an injury to his lateral arm, above the left elbow. Soloff does not believe this injury is related to the injury Lewis suffered to his forearm, near the elbow, earlier this season. Lewis, activated off the DL and optioned to Columbus last week, made just one start for the Clippers.

So since winning the job in spring training, he's basically been passed up by Huff, Laffey, Sowers and Masterson. And seems like he's losing even more ground on Rondon and Carrasco. Gotta feel for the guy, like a soft-tossing Adam Miller.

And more Castro...

September callups are coming. Who's coming up? Well, Carlos Carrasco and Lou Marson, for sure. Hector Rondon is a possibility, if the Tribe goes with a six-man rotation in September. Jordan Brown, if he fully recovers from the shoulder injury that recently landed him on the DL, could get a look in left field. Greg Aquino and Jose Veras have been pitching well since their demotion to Triple-A, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Indians give them another look. Jason Donald probably would have been a callup, had he not recently gone on the DL with back spasms.
http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20..._a_montage.html

Excited to see Carrasco, upset that Brantley gets no mention, and hoping Aquino and Veras don't take any innings away from Perez/Sipp/Todd.

The thing that usually holds true for Trevor Crowe is that he takes a while at each level to get going. The same thing was true for him here at Arizona for his first year or two and by the time he was a junior, he broke out.

I honestly think he will be a very good major leaguer, it's probably just going to take patience with him.

I honestly think the tribe should move Grady to the 3 or 5 hole and move Crowe to the lead-off spot.

Just my .02

The thing that usually holds true for Trevor Crowe is that he takes a while at each level to get going. The same thing was true for him here at Arizona for his first year or two and by the time he was a junior, he broke out.

I honestly think he will be a very good major leaguer, it's probably just going to take patience with him.

I honestly think the tribe should move Grady to the 3 or 5 hole and move Crowe to the lead-off spot.

Just my .02

I like Crowe, but don't see him as much more than a 4th outfielder for us. He's definitely got heart, but Brantley is virtually an identical player and has him beat across the board...younger, better defender, better base stealer, more potential.

I hope he gets a fair shot, but it doesn't seem like he has much of a future here with Sizemore and Choo entrenched in Center and Right, and LaPorta, Brantley, Weglarz, Brown and others in the discussion in Left.

Anyway.

Lastoria is reporting Carrasco is making the jump on Tuesday, when Huff was scheduled to start. I am excited.

Tonight's lineup

Sizemore CF

Cabrera SS

Choo DH

Peralta 3B

Valbuena 2B

LaPorta RF

Marte 1B

Shoppach C

Brantley LF

Carrasco

I really hope Hafner is shut down for the year. Let him get rested and fixed up and it really helps the rest of the team. More ABs to go around. Brantley will get time in Center when Sizemore DHs. We'll get a real look at where players can/should play going forward.

And besides Carrasco and Brantley, Jose Veras also got a call up. He'll get another audition...but it's not like this team is starving for right handed relievers (Wood, C Perez, Smith, Todd, Lewis, Ohka...). Could be good AAA/MLB depth at least.

Archived