THE BROWNS BOARD

Wide Receivers are stepping up

OconRecon

I have to say I wish the QB's were stepping up to a competitive camp like the wide receivers are doing.

Does anybody miss Dante?

Do we really need Braylon?

Anyone want to take a stab at the who will be the starters?

It seems like the current mix of veterans and rookies isn't half bad, sans Edwards and Stallworth (who we all know just stunk last year and aren't available at the moment anyway). The receivers are impressing and can only be better than last year, IMHO. All of this "catch everything" talk with Robo and Hubbs makes me really question if we need to concentrate on BE at all. I get we have no idea how these rooks will turn out on game day, but the mix of vets Patten and Furrey along with MoMass, Robo, and Hubbs seems like an upgrade from last year for sure.

Receiving corps commanding attention

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

One of the top storylines involving the wide receivers at Browns Training Camp could easily have been the absence of Braylon Edwards, who's on the non-football injury list and working on the sidelines during practice.

Instead, fans at camp have been treated to lots of positives from the receiving corps including several highlight-reel catches, solid overall performances by rookie second-rounders Brian Robiskie and Mohammed Massaquoi and maybe the best two days of Paul Hubbard's young professional career.

These young guys are catching on. Quickly.

By now, probably a hundred passes have been thrown Robiskie's way in camp. You can count the number he hasn't caught on one hand -- and probably still have a free finger or two.

"The biggest thing for a rookie is to make sure you're trying to get better each practice," Robiskie said. "(The first four days) are behind me. I have to go back look at what I've done, learn from it and try to do something a little bit better. For me each day the goal is just to try to come out and improve so when the games come I'll be ready."

The elder statesmen of the group are David Patten, who's two weeks from his 35th birthday and in his 13th pro season, and Mike Furrey, who's 32 and has seven years of NFL experience.

"David Patten, he's the old and wise one," Furrey joked. "He's always very helpful with the young guys. I try to do the same. Whether it's a technique thing or making sure everybody makes the right read or just a practice habit, we're always there helping each other. It's fun."

The mix includes taller receivers and those who may fit best in the slot. The quarterbacks have shown they trust their targets enough to try plenty of deep balls, while Furrey and Robiskie have had plenty of success working short and over the middle.

As the preseason progresses, the goal will be finding that best mix and putting together a unit that can beat defenses in a variety of ways.

"I'm not necessarily looking for it to hit a quota for age or any of that stuff," Browns head coach Eric Mangini said. "I just want it effective and that's really what I'm looking for. Looking at that group, there's a lot of different elements to the effectiveness. How well are they releasing? How is their stance? Are they adjusting to the routes?

"It's nothing more than who can be most effective in there."

Over the first two days of camp, Lance Leggett - an undrafted rookie a year ago who spent the season on the practice squad - made most of the big-play catches, while Robiskie did the bulk of his work underneath and impressed by lunging, diving and reaching over defenders to make plays.

Monday and Tuesday, Hubbard topped Leggett by catching several long touchdowns. Massaquoi had maybe his best day Tuesday; he's shown no fear in going over the middle or fighting to keep plays alive in traffic.

All that doesn't even mentioning speedy returnees Syndric Steptoe and Joshua Cribbs, both of whom bring playmaking ability and more game experience than Robiskie, Massaquoi, Leggett and Hubbard.

"If you look at the whole group, I think it's a great mix," Furrey said. "There are some really talented young guys mixed guys who've had success in the league. And I think we all know we have work to do to keep learning this offense and get everybody going."

Hubbard said his confidence is "sky high" after the last two days and credits his strong performances to learning from his rookie season and a new dedication to putting football first.

"I feel I am getting more reps because the light has come on for me," Hubbard said. "I'm making the plays so they're going to keep feeding me."

It's taken only four days for the receivers to become one of camp's most intriguing battles. And it figures to only get better.

"We're trying to learn; this is a big learning process for all of us," Robiskie said. "Anytime we have a chance to get in there, we have to make the most of it and go from there."

For all the young receivers, it's been so far, so good. But the real challenges lie ahead.

I don't know how it will end up out of camp....but in time I think Robiskie will be the slot receiver and MO will be outside.

For this year, Edwards as the #1, Furrey in the slot, and Robo and Mo will more or less split time as the #2....both will catch 25-35 balls...that is 60 catches out of the #2....not bad

Hubbard has played his way into the mix, too. We suddenly have an overabundance of pass catchers, a high class problem. Cribbs has looked better at WR, too. Right now, I figure Edwards, Robo, Massoquoi, Hubbard, and Furrey are the guys, with Cribbs listed at WR but probably not finding much playing time there. That leaves out a lot of guys -- Leggett, Steptoe, and Patten.

I just don't see the Browns cutting a guy who goes 6'4" and 220, runs a 4.38, jumps 40", and is making circus catches. I'm not sure any team's ever cut a guy like that.

I'm sure the bengals would.

Hubbard has played his way into the mix, too. We suddenly have an overabundance of pass catchers, a high class problem. Cribbs has looked better at WR, too. Right now, I figure Edwards, Robo, Massoquoi, Hubbard, and Furrey are the guys, with Cribbs listed at WR but probably not finding much playing time there. That leaves out a lot of guys -- Leggett, Steptoe, and Patten.

I just don't see the Browns cutting a guy who goes 6'4" and 220, runs a 4.38, jumps 40", and is making circus catches. I'm not sure any team's ever cut a guy like that.

Hubbard likely wont be cut and im delighted he is showing everyone what he can do under a real coaching staff on paper he has it all and you cant help but to think if this kid would run proper routes and position himself for the catch he can be a serious deep threat....;)

Hubbard has played his way into the mix, too

Agreed.

I think Cribbs won't even be viewed or count against receiver numbers,,,he just counts as a roster spot.

One of the others..Leggett, Patten, etc may make the team as well...thinking Leggett. We may carry a "extra" receiver because there is a good chance edwards won't be here next year....and based on some of the rumors you posted yesterday, these guys play may expedite us looking to trade BE before next year.

Leggett still has a shot at the roster. And if he doesnt make it, he is still eligible for the practice squad

After the first couple days, we kept hearing how great our DB's were doing and I thought this was due to our weak WR's, but now it looks like it just took a couple days to get the young guys going.

I think a lot of the reason the circus catches are happening is because of the tight coverage.

Robiske sounds like the guy we though we drafted, Not the fastest, but runs great routes and catches everything. Maybe it just took the QB's a couple days to get used to throwing to him because just because he isn't WIDE open, he may still have his man beat.

For this offense to be good though, personally, I think we need Edwards to catch at least a few deep balls this year because I don't see many deep threats in the group other than maybe Hubbard.

I hope you arent serious. But then again, you want St. Clair to be the starting guard...

Well, the reason im serious is because I believe Edwards will have an 07 type year again, which will make him franchise worthy, I think Dez Bryant will be better than Braylon, he's bigger, has a better vertical, has better hands, and is way more aggressive, like Kenny Britt aggressive.

That way all of our young talent can grow together, so we can have everyone hitting their peak at the same time to have a supercharged ultra team that will shit on the patriots 07 team.....

Duh

Archived