THE BROWNS BOARD

Rivals.com's WORST Non-Com Matchups

dencyguy

In the interest of fairness, here are the matchups that are the worst. Rivals' list of cupcakes:

>>12. Northeastern at Boston College, Sept. 5: Northeastern was 2-10 last season and has won a combined 12 games in the past four seasons; BC has played for the past two ACC titles. At least BC is keeping the money circulating in the local economy, as Northeastern's campus is about five miles from BC's.

11. Rhode Island at Connecticut, Sept. 26: The Colonial Athletic Association may be the best FCS league, but Rhode Island is one of the CAA's worst programs. The Rams were 3-9 last season, and they have finished with a losing record in 12 of the past 13 seasons and 20 of the past 23.

10. Southeast Missouri State at Cincinnati: Southeast Missouri has had six consecutive losing seasons and has finished with a losing record in 13 of the past 14 seasons. A team coming off a Big East title and a BCS appearance shouldn't be playing SEMO.

9. Howard at Rutgers, Sept. 12: Howard was 1-10 last season and has had two winning records in the past 10 seasons. These teams met in 2006, with Rutgers winning by 49. The only other time Howard has played an FBS team was in 2003, when it lost by 58 to Akron.

8. Murray State at N.C. State, Sept. 12, and Gardner-Webb at N.C. State, Sept. 19: Man, nothing like back-to-back home games against FCS programs to rally the fans. And back-to-back games against FCS programs that each won five games last season, at that. NC State is one of six FBS teams playing two FCS foes, but the only one playing them in back-to-back weeks.

7. Charleston Southern at Florida, Sept. 5: Charleston Southern actually is quasi-decent ? 7-5 last season ? but there's no way a defending national champion should be playing this game. Charleston Southern has played three FBS teams in its history, and has lost the three games by a combined 112 points.

6. Tennessee Tech at Georgia, Nov. 7: Tennessee Tech was 3-9 last season and has had a losing record in eight of the past 11 seasons. For Georgia, this matchup comes the week after Florida and the week before Auburn. The Bulldogs may as well play an intrasquad scrimmage for all the good this one will do for them.

5. Idaho State at Arizona State, Sept. 5: Idaho State was 1-11 last season and has had just five winning seasons in the past 20. The Bengals have played nine FBS opponents this decade and lost by an average of 27 points.

4. Northern Colorado at Kansas, Sept. 5: Northern Colorado has had three consecutive one-win seasons. Needless to say, Kansas' season should get off to a rousing start.

3. Indiana State at Louisville, Sept. 5: Northern Colorado has won three games in the past three seasons? Heck, Indiana State wishes it were that good. Indiana State has had three winless seasons in the past four years and has won one game total in that span. The Sycamores have given up an average of 56 points in their past five games against FBS opponents. There's no excuse for any FBS school to play Indiana State.

2. Idaho State at Oklahoma, Sept. 12: We talked about Idaho State a few games ago. Why does this game rank higher ? or lower ? than the other? Simple. Oklahoma played for the national title last season and will be in the preseason top 10 this season. If the Sooners feel the need to play a FCS opponent, play one with a pulse.

1. Chattanooga at Alabama, Nov. 21: Chattanooga is awful ? awful. Chattanooga was 1-11 last season and has won a combined six games in the past three seasons. The Mocs have lost 21 in a row to FBS foes. There were two such losses last season, by a combined 94 points. In those 21 games, they have lost by an average of 35 points, and just one was decided by fewer than 14 points. Plus, this is the final home game of the season for the Tide, which is a real nice way to send out your seniors. <<

Dennis

Indeed, the poor Mocs have struggled for about 20 years now. Ever since Joe Morrison left to take the South Carolina job in the late 70's.

Here is the deal with Bama playing the Mocs and the Gators playing Charleston...the Southern Conference was really the seed conference for the SEC and ACC...it was a very good conference....say 60 years ago....lol....still not bad in basketball.

In staying with that common history, many of the SC teams get a payday from a SEC or ACC team.

Just the way it is, and it is a good thing really.

All the big teams need a "breather" week, and the IAA teams need that $250,000 payday....plus...every once in a while, David beats Goliath....Just ask App State(a SC team) or Michigan.

In Ohio, Tressell has it right...OSU needs to share the wealth a bit and play one of the smaller in state schools each year.

I think it would be a good idea for the BCS to exclude the easiest team as far aa rankings from every schools rating to promote more sharing of the wealth.

1AA is good football even if you don't have 10-12 pro prospects on the field.

Terrell Owens played here in Chattanooga...there have been a few others....in any given games you will find a few who will go on to play pro football. IMO you have to keep it alive by giving these teams a big payday.

The Gators have played a SC team or other for many years, and hope that never changes.

Plus...it never hurts to give your 3rd and 4th stringers some work...they bust their ass in practice for 3-4 years...give them one game where they can make their appearance and play a little.

After posting....it appears I have old timers disease where time compresses...probably been more like 30 years since the Mocs had some real good teams......shrug

I have to make it a priority to go down a make a game this year...new coach in town...it's the least I can do.

All the big teams need a "breather" week, and the IAA teams need that $250,000 payday....plus...every once in a while, David beats Goliath....Just ask App State(a SC team) or Michigan.

In Ohio, Tressell has it right...OSU needs to share the wealth a bit and play one of the smaller in state schools each year.

I think it would be a good idea for the BCS to exclude the easiest team as far aa rankings from every schools rating to promote more sharing of the wealth.

That makes a lot of sense. I think what bugs me the most is that you have mid-major teams (like Boise State for a long time) that can't get good teams to play them. And forget about a home-and-home. And when it's time to decide who gets into the BCS or, God forbid, gets a shot at the NC, "Well, you can't really take Boise State/TCU/Utah seriously as contenders...I mean, they didn't play anybody." They get screwed because the big-time BCS teams duck them. Ask Alabama how much you can't take Utah seriously.

What I really like about OSU's local non-con games is that they play MAC teams. It's not like they play Youngstown State every year; they give OU, Miami, Akron, and other mid-major schools a shot. Good exposure for the smaller school, a better warm-up for OSU, and the kind of scheduling that should be encouraged.

I like the idea of dropping the lowest opponent, although it might get complicated when you go between divisions. For instance, Duke plays Richmond, which won the D-II (or was it 1-AA? You know...whichever division they're in) national title. They also play Army, which was 3-9 last year, is almost always bad, but is still Division 1-A. Do you drop the game against the better team from the worse division, or the worse team from the better division?

Dennis

Like I said...I don't have a problem as long as it isn't 2 or 3....exempt the weakest from all schedules.

I applaud schools that stay in state.

Florida has a good record of staying in state to help weaker schools like Florida Atlantic, South Florida, Miami, and Florida (wannabe) State.

Nothing wrong with a big brother helping a weak sister. ;)

Archived