THE BROWNS BOARD

So How Many Idiots Die in Sturgis?

MLD Woody

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Well, "from" Sturgis technically. Give it a few weeks. 

Old, overweight, smoker, etc.... 

So many of us are just so damn stupid. 

I hope when they all return to their communities they stay inside

Woodster, MHO on Sturgis. Been there twice, both times by accident.  First time way back,1975 IIRC before it really took off. Then me and wifie after we were married late 80s. FWIW, I used to ride myself- no hogs, I don't feel  comfortable on anything over a 500 cc bike. I'd consider having another one, if I had some place to park it out of the weather.The big boys, its driving you, unlike a smaller machine. Do you really want to go faster than 120mph anyway? I had a fly hit me when I was doing 100 in my earlier years, and it felt like I had been shot. And when you see the splat, you realize that's what you'd look like if you wrecked going that fast. I've mentioned the most gruesome thing I ever saw in my ER years was when they dragged in what was left of a guy when he wrecked his Harley doing around 70. One of our residents walked in, took one look, and barfed. 'Nuff said.

Ah, but I digress. I totally understand the biker mentality, and at Sturgis you get to see it all. Anything from grandpa and grandma in their sidecar to Hells Angels, and anything in between. It's one wild party for sure, and riding the Black Hills on a bike gets you into some great scenery. Guys who ride 175 cc Kawasakis 1,000 miles to get there, to dude's driving machines with supercharged 380 cubic inch V8 car engines on two wheels.  

I should mention when we camped outside of  Sturgis when we climbed Harney Peak several years ago, any campground within 70 miles of the rally,  it's prepay for your spot-  and the popular campgrounds are booked solid a year ahead of time. 

So we will indeed see if this is going to be a super spreader event.  The local hospitals ramped up ICU capacity in case.  :)

• Upvote 1

I think it will depend a lot on the reporting. If it sounds worse, meaning that it will scare more people into watching the news or vote for Joe Biden, I have no doubt that the number of cases  (asymptomatic or otherwise) will be front-and-center instead of actual hospitalization illness or death. That's about how it's gone so far.

But seriously I think that part of the lifestyle of being a biker includes certain independent spirit. They would all be a lot safer driving a Volvo at 45 miles an hour but that's not how they chosen to live their lives.

That probably angers a lot of people who are afraid to do a. Who knows?

But hey Woody a lot of bikers are overweight so you might get your wish.

WSS

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I think it will depend a lot on the reporting. If it sounds worse, meaning that it will scare more people into watching the news or vote for Joe Biden, I have no doubt that the number of cases  (asymptomatic or otherwise) will be front-and-center instead of actual hospitalization illness or death. That's about how it's gone so far.

But seriously I think that part of the lifestyle of being a biker includes certain independent spirit. They would all be a lot safer driving a Volvo at 45 miles an hour but that's not how they chosen to live their lives.

That probably angers a lot of people who are afraid to do a. Who knows?

But hey Woody a lot of bikers are overweight so you might get your wish.

WSS

- this attempt at just calling anyone that expresses any concern or brings up any potential issues with COVID as "scared", some lame attempt at masculinity, is just sad.

if in fact you are actually sad that's not very masculine just him itself.

- "angers people who are afraid to do it(?)". Or, ya know, people that don't want a bunch of more at risk individuals going to a mass gathering and then all returning to their individual towns, bringing Covid with them

if the shoe fits. 

- Man I'm not wishing for anyone to die, fuck. Don't say that. At this point if they do it's a Darwin Award as far as I'm concerned. I'd be more worried about them infecting others or clogging up hospitals. 

Maybe. But just in case there's a spike  then we hear of a few deaths on the MSM I'm expecting there's going to be a lot of people doing the happy dance and except for the fact that you've already been called out for it Id expect you to be in the Forefront screaming "I told you so!"

One of the members here what is the accusatory finger one another member here came down with it. I won't mention any names, it wasn't you.

WSS

11 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Research Determines Protests Did Not Cause Spike In Coronavirus Cases

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/01/research-determines-protests-did-not-cause-spike-in-coronavirus-cases/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0ToRdfilewTSbwoM_iirooHgbBarQlYSrEYuKxyq2Gh_sB5rk2QzEcy0Y

According to this not many.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

CNN propagandists labeled Biker Rally "Super Spreader Event",  yet CNN did not label 74 days of rioting, er protesting a "Super Spreader Event". 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, D Bone said:

CNN propagandists labeled Biker Rally "Super Spreader Event",  yet CNN did not label 74 days of rioting, er protesting a "Super Spreader Event". 

While they're clearly spinning it, more people wore masks at the protests than what we're seeing in Sturgis. 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

On the other hand more people at Sturgis probably said a prayer which is just about as effective.

WSS

That's objectively false but this has been covered so many times it isn't worth going over again. It is also why America botched this whole thing so badly. 

Go ahead. I know you want the last word....

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

While they're clearly spinning it, more people wore masks at the protests than what we're seeing in Sturgis. 

10X as many people without a mask rioting and looting than people at Sturgis.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well for whatever it's worth to non-believers, the brother of my wife's best friend got symptoms and was just informed it was COVID. He's 73 so there is a lot of concern for him. He had been very, very careful but somehow contracted it. He had stopped working in Wash.,DC this past spring. And a husband and wife who were best friends of my nephew just both died of it at Houston Methodist Hospital. They were even given that experimental drug treatment I posted elsewhere to no avail. He was 69 and she 64 with no major health issues other than age.

EDIT: BTW I just submitted my name for the 30,000 trial Pfizer COVID vaccine stage 3 study. I should find out within a few weeks if I am accepted. Half get it and half get a placebo in a double blind study. Neither the subject nor the MD who follows knows whether you got the vaccine or the placebo. They just follow you while the trail takes place which is a series of 2 shots with an extended followup period at a research lab in Austin, the closest one to me.

This also just crossed my mind so it's pretty obvious. Everybody at Sturgis rides a motorcycle arguably one of the more dangerous modes of transportation. That means all these guys are prone to risk-taking in the first place. And probably hostile to taking orders in general.

And if my estimate his clothes that's like one case" in 5,000 people.

Good luck with the vaccine Tex.

WSS

Good luck with the vaccine Tex.

WSS

Thanks Steve. It did not hurt to be a child "volunteer" for the 3 series Salk vaccine for polio in the 50s. Of course I had no idea I was volunteered. But at 73, nothing to lose and it might help others in the long run. And if I'm part of the lucky half, maybe it even helps me in the short run. I'm not volunteering to increase my exposure though. Then it's Russian Roulette.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You think that's all there will be? 

You think that's all there is?

Who knows? It's been a couple weeks right? 

I think the original post question how many wood die? Are we walking that back to how many will get sick or even farther back to how many people will test positive?

WSS

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:46 PM, MLD Woody said:

< .3%  will die.

99.7%  who have contracted COVID will survive.

I don't know why you couldn't have looked that up for yourself.

• Upvote 1

Who knows? It's been a couple weeks right? 

I think the original post question how many wood die? Are we walking that back to how many will get sick or even farther back to how many people will test positive?

WSS

The event ended only 10 days ago. We'll have to see what data / news we get on deaths. I still believe there will be some, we'll just have to see what's reported. 

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:48 AM, hoorta said:

Woodster, MHO on Sturgis. Been there twice, both times by accident.  First time way back,1975 IIRC before it really took off. Then me and wifie after we were married late 80s. FWIW, I used to ride myself- no hogs, I don't feel  comfortable on anything over a 500 cc bike. I'd consider having another one, if I had some place to park it out of the weather.The big boys, its driving you, unlike a smaller machine. Do you really want to go faster than 120mph anyway? I had a fly hit me when I was doing 100 in my earlier years, and it felt like I had been shot. And when you see the splat, you realize that's what you'd look like if you wrecked going that fast. I've mentioned the most gruesome thing I ever saw in my ER years was when they dragged in what was left of a guy when he wrecked his Harley doing around 70. One of our residents walked in, took one look, and barfed. 'Nuff said.

Ah, but I digress. I totally understand the biker mentality, and at Sturgis you get to see it all. Anything from grandpa and grandma in their sidecar to Hells Angels, and anything in between. It's one wild party for sure, and riding the Black Hills on a bike gets you into some great scenery. Guys who ride 175 cc Kawasakis 1,000 miles to get there, to dude's driving machines with supercharged 380 cubic inch V8 car engines on two wheels.  

I should mention when we camped outside of  Sturgis when we climbed Harney Peak several years ago, any campground within 70 miles of the rally,  it's prepay for your spot-  and the popular campgrounds are booked solid a year ahead of time. 

So we will indeed see if this is going to be a super spreader event.  The local hospitals ramped up ICU capacity in case.  :)

And the bikers understand your mentality. They recognize TDS as easy as the next guy.

Cant imagine those boys voting for a hair sniffing child groper....do you understand that mentality Hoorta?

biden-biker-2012.jpg

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

The event ended only 10 days ago. We'll have to see what data / news we get on deaths. I still believe there will be some, we'll just have to see what's reported. 

Yes we will, regardless of how much I trust the reporting. But you gotta love the term infected. Even scarier than the word case which is scarier than just saying that the virus was detected regardless of symptoms or illness.

So no problem waiting another week then we can compare the numbers to any random half million people.

WSS

2 hours ago, Gorka said:

< .3%  will die.

99.7%  who have contracted COVID will survive.

I don't know why you couldn't have looked that up for yourself.

You stats are off by a factor of 10 thus far.

176,201 deaths divided by 5,682,811 cases equals just over 3%, not .3%. At least get one thing right for a change.

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well for whatever it's worth to non-believers, the brother of my wife's best friend got symptoms and was just informed it was COVID. He's 73 so there is a lot of concern for him. He had been very, very careful but somehow contracted it. He had stopped working in Wash.,DC this past spring. And a husband and wife who were best friends of my nephew just both died of it at Houston Methodist Hospital. They were even given that experimental drug treatment I posted elsewhere to no avail. He was 69 and she 64 with no major health issues other than age.

EDIT: BTW I just submitted my name for the 30,000 trial Pfizer COVID vaccine stage 3 study. I should find out within a few weeks if I am accepted. Half get it and half get a placebo in a double blind study. Neither the subject nor the MD who follows knows whether you got the vaccine or the placebo. They just follow you while the trail takes place which is a series of 2 shots with an extended followup period at a research lab in Austin, the closest one to me.

Sad to hear - we don't know anyone who has known someone who has it - so far. With school starting, we are keeping a little bit of distance from the kids in school next door, ...or we spray with lysol after they leave lol

You submitted yourself to that test...man, KUDOS to you ! If we do get a real vaccine by the end of the year - it would be historically the fastest creation I think. The Fatherinlaw is still 97, in a great assisted living home, doing really well, the residents have a solid sense of humor about it, but it's tough with NO visitors except window visits, down in Texas.

I want a drinkable vaccine like the polio thing.  Getting shots seems to be so...invasive. lol

25 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You stats are off by a factor of 10 thus far.

176,201 deaths divided by 5,682,811 cases equals just over 3%, not .3%. At least get one thing right for a change.

while you have your Abacus out how many of those deaths were actually from other causes and Covid gets the credit?

WSS