THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Bud Shaw article

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index. ... essit.html

Just some entertaining highlights and comments:

"The decision to bench Anderson isn't so bold as to cast doubt toward the conservative head coach's active role in it. What's more, Crennel made a far more forceful move not that long ago.

Somebody looking strangely like the head coach started Charlie Frye in the 2007 season's first game, agreed to trade him two days later and thus installed the untested Anderson as the starter.

That happened during a game. So unless puppet strings stretched from Crennel all the way upstairs, he probably made that call.

And if he did it only to keep offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski from propelling himself like a missile out of the press level on to the field, he still did it. "

"Crennel's resume includes associations with head coaches -- Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells -- not known for their shyness when it comes to replacing quarterbacks. Does the term "diminished skills" sound familiar? "

"Trent Dilfer called the Browns dysfunctional Coming as Dilfer's comments did after one of the more dysfunctional episodes in organizational history -- the Kellen Winslow soap -- the words have a ring of validation about them.

If only somebody else said them.

Coming from Dilfer, they're more agenda-filled than a campaign commercial.

During his time here he didn't exactly win Browns fans over, didn't have much reason to believe in the coaching staff (especially Maurice Carthon) and lost his job in a quarterback shuffle.

Dilfer suggested the Browns benched Anderson to cater to their fans. He called it a "knee-jerk reaction" by the owner to fill seats.

Because, as we all know, the knock on Randy Lerner is that he's too involved. And filling seats has been a big problem for Browns' ownership for years and years, right? "

Guest ATENEARS

The fact that no one seems to know where any of these decision come from is reason enough to not view this management in a good light. Players comments have not only bordered on statements about the confusion of who made the call, players are comenting that they are definately confused about various directions management have taken.

I'm all for "keeping it within", but when it starts sounding like those on the "in" aren't still receiving direction, then we have a problem.

Some things need to come from higher above, and no one has to be shy about that.

Guest Masters

I am actually more concerned that guys like Kosar and Jim Brown have a reportedly large amount of sway in decisions. Not that they aren't football guys, but they aren't there day in and day out.

Guest Masters
Kosar and Brown are football guys, and have forgotten more about football than the collective knowledge of our coaching staff, so if they say something I tend to listen.

Yeah, but if you make decisions based on what guys who pop in and out, you're looking for trouble. They can't truly make an informed decision, because they would be lacking all the available data. I doubt Kosar is breaking down film on anybody.

I don't consider Brown a football guy, dude last played in the 60's. He's more of a consultant than any kind of X's and o's guy.

Berns knows his shit but you have to be in on the inner workings daily to really voice an opinion. I don't trust a lot of his judgments about QB's because he tends to stick up for his boys too much.

Now effectively calling plays I think he would thrive at along with teaching QB's how to manage games like Peyton. Browns QB's have been godawful at making audibles since he left.

Archived