THE BROWNS BOARD

Loudmouth Smith Released!

listercat

A shining example of another high-paid athlete who just doesn't get it.

Everyone else is jogging to the next station and going through drills with everything they have. What makes Smith different? And then when his coach calls him out for it, he feels he's above that type of stuff so he spouts off. Apparently Smith didn't get the memo that Eric Mangini is running this team now.

Tell me, who would want to work/play next to this guy, let alone coach him?

How can anyone here criticize this move? Are you serious? Name two good things this guy did since he got here and I'll come back at you with about a dozen bad things.

Let him go back to Cincy and give Starvin' Marvin more headaches. Meanwhile, let's work with the guys that want to get it done here.

Great move by the Browns. This guy is a poverty man's Terrell Owens who thinks this is all about him. They even gave him a shot to get his shit together and he proved he is too immature to do it.

Smith's scenario is very simple: He came here from the Bungles as a great pickup at the time----looked like a guy who was a steal at a source of need. He played okay at first but nothing spectacular, however, he seemed to think he was All Pro material. AT that point STO gave him a gig as basically the team spokesman, and since he's a dumb and emotional moron, he took that as meaning he was actually a great player who WAS the Cleveland Browns.

RAC 'n ROLLS let him go unabated, and anybody that was at camp last year saw how stupid he was getting during stretching or anything else. Then, his play on the field translated to Ethan Kelley, but not quite as good. New regime takes over and decides to talk to the kid and let them know what they expect of a professional making some decent coin and 28 years old. Smith plays the game for a second then decides somebody tugged on a pubic hair and goes"how dare they", hence he is shown the door because this is a pro franchise that is going to do things right.

This is a good thing guys, shows these guys mean business.

Louis Leonard is a forgotten man a lot who is very versatile, young and hungry---and makes way less money.

Trust me folks, if Smith was a decent player they would have tried to get him right but as it stands they at least tried.

Great resume fodder for Smith in this thread.

Add his to the time he was cut by the Saints for being caught stuffing his fat face in the Georgia Dome's press room and you can now say goodbye career. At least until the shit-eating Donkeys call him for a workout.

Great resume fodder for Smith in this thread.

Add his to the time he was cut by the Saints for being caught stuffing his fat face in the Georgia Dome's press room and you can now say goodbye career. At least until the shit-eating Donkeys call him for a workout.

Nah, it must be something personal.

Louis Leonard is a forgotten man a lot who is very versatile, young and hungry---and makes way less money.

Trust me folks, if Smith was a decent player they would have tried to get him right but as it stands they at least tried.

Couldn't argee with you more.

Guest Aloysius

Fat Shaun's a slightly below average backup nose tackle. And there was close to zero chance he'd get reps at end this year. Only in Romeo's fat ass 3-4 is Shaun Smith a five tech.

Rubin's stronger at the point and has a better attitude. And guys like Robaire Smith and C.J. Mosley could take a few reps inside, should an injury take out one of our top two guys.

Like Russ, I think this is a very smart move. If you're going to cut someone to send a message, make it well-known veteran who doesn't play up to his rep. And a guy whose cutting opens up $1.1M in cap space.

good luck Shaun Smith! no hard feelings coming from me. now go parlay all that hard off-season work and new svelte physique into a nice role with one of those clubs making the transition to the 3-4.

on the other hand it shows that the culture in CLE is changing. really changing.

not just anybody can be a Brown anymore. hear that guys? we have an actual fcking criteria now.

This may not be a closed issue... Mangini said the door remains open for his return???

I'd imagine he'd get picked up fairly quickly though, good size and a known quantity for a team in need....

Peace

T.Dawg

I take that to mean Smith asked for his release. If he changes his mind in the next few days, we would probably take him back.

My take is Smith sees Rubin very much improved and felt busting his butt in camp was a lost cause.

http://www.cleveland.com/brownsbeat/index....wns_dl_sha.html

Former Cleveland Browns DL Shaun Smith signs with Detroit

by Mary Kay Cabot

Monday August 10, 2009, 4:47 PM

Plain Dealer FileShaun Smith

It didn't take long for former Browns defensive lineman Shaun Smith to find work. Smith, released by the Browns on Saturday after clashing with line coach Bryan Cox on Friday, agreed to terms Monday on a one-year deal with the Detroit Lions, his agent Neil Schwartz said. He'll make $1 million with the Lions, and become a free agent after the season.

"Shaun enjoyed his time in Cleveland,'' said Schwartz. "He thought the Cleveland Browns fans were incredible and wishes the Cleveland Browns organization only the best of luck.''

Smith, who visited St. Louis on Sunday, was scheduled to visit Tampa Bay after leaving Detroit, but the Lions never let him get away. He also drew some interest from the Broncos.

Smith's signing may have been hastened by the season-ending injury to 11-year defensive end Jared DeVries, who ruptured his Achilles tendon in Monday morning's practice.

DeVries, who was set to start at left defensive end, will undergo surgery and be placed on injured reserve for the season. Lions coach Jim Schwartz acknowledged that the team will be hard-pressed to replace DeVries.

"It's one thing replacing the physical talent of somebody," Schwartz told the Detroit News. "It's another thing replacing the heart and soul of what you're all about. And Jared is that way -- he's one of the toughest guys in the locker room, he's got a lot of experience, he's paid a lot of dues with this club. And he needs to see some reward for it. That's the thing that's most disappointing, is that you'd like him be able to reap the rewards, be able to experience some good times for all those tough times he's been through."

Mangini gave no reason for cutting Smith, other than to say he needed to clear a roster spot. But Smith butted heads with Cox during Friday's practice and was already on thin ice with some in the organization after reportedly punching Brady Quinn in the face during a weight-room altercation in December.

The Browns filled the roster spot Sunday with guard Fred Weary, a seven-year veteran of the Texans who started 43 of his 63 games at right guard.

Second-year defensive lineman Ahtyba Rubin will see increased reps at backup nosetackle and in the line rotation in Smith's absence. The Browns also added former Jets Kenyon Coleman and C.J. Mosley to the line this season.

Schwartz told the Detroit News Monday that Smith's "talent fits us. I think it was important to get to know him a little bit and him get to know us."

Archived