THE BROWNS BOARD

It appears some of the posters can no longer do business here.

htownbrown

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

and so much for wanting to promote open conversation and debate in schools, I thought conservatives were all about that... 

What the hell does that mean?  It never said a damn thing about not discussing race in school.

Unless, I suppose, you don't believe open conversation can occur without some random 9 year old white kid first professing some form of guilt in the oppression of minorities.  

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

That's not a nice thing to say about Cal

But I agree 

As I've said often enough Cal's a friend of mine and I am by and large on the same side of the political spectrum but that encompasses 51 through 100%.

And like everybody else it varies issue to issue.

It's been a long time but I was the guy that posted Bill Maher new rules about calling everybody you don't like Hitler.

WSS

9 hours ago, htownbrown said:

What the hell does that mean?  It never said a damn thing about not discussing race in school.

Unless, I suppose, you don't believe open conversation can occur without some random 9 year old white kid first professing some form of guilt in the oppression of minorities.  

It seems to be loose enough, or at least Trump has said as much, that this could be applied to the teachings in public school. That would ban any lesson on white supremacy and how it shaped this country. Isn't that just banning topics from conversation in schools, which conservatives say is happening all of the time? The difference here is it's just a topic they want banned. 

You can't just bury and ignore this country's history and act like it never happened...

22 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

It seems to be loose enough, or at least Trump has said as much, that this could be applied to the teachings in public school. That would ban any lesson on white supremacy and how it shaped this country. Isn't that just banning topics from conversation in schools, which conservatives say is happening all of the time? The difference here is it's just a topic they want banned. 

You can't just bury and ignore this country's history and act like it never happened...

I don't think discussing white supremacy is going to get anyone ready for college.  That should be the only goal of a public school.  What coarse did that help you with at Michigan?

27 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! Antifa actually means anti-fascists.

Perhaps you have them confused with this group.

Funny I didn't see one person dragged out of his store and beaten to death. I didn't see one department store looted. 

I didn't even hear any really hateful or incendiary rhetoric?

WSS

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I don't think discussing white supremacy is going to get anyone ready for college.  That should be the only goal of a public school.  What coarse did that help you with at Michigan?

In engineering? If there was no math in the class it didn't help. Doesn't matter. I'm not in favor of trying to ban classes that shine a light on our legitimate history because some don't want those skeletons uncovered. 

Not to mention high school should do more than just college prep. 

57 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! Antifa actually means anti-fascists.

Perhaps you have them confused with this group.

DH has it right. You're the only one that's confused around here.

These people peacefully protesting the tearing down of a statue and the demonization of historical figures does not constitute fascism bozo.

The side you are loyal to and blindly vote with clearly does.

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

In engineering? If there was no math in the class it didn't help. Doesn't matter. I'm not in favor of trying to ban classes that shine a light on our legitimate history because some don't want those skeletons uncovered. 

Not to mention high school should do more than just college prep. 

Well, uhhh, I think we all learned about slavery without special training.  You're advocating for teaching kids to feel guilty about it.  And that's gutter trash philosophy. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

Well, uhhh, I think we all learned about slavery without special training.  You're advocating for teaching kids to feel guilty about it.  And that's gutter trash philosophy. 

I'm advocating to teach reality. Not to hide our racist past. I'm not advocating to teach kids it's bad to be white. 

I get what you're response to that will be and I see the examples laid out in the official release, but the vague wording leads to a lot more than that. 

4 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

Ask Woody why there is no light ever shown on legitimate history that is always kept in the dark?  The fact that blacks sold their own people to the Europeans. Trading post along the Ivory Coast were established for such a purpose.  These blacks were slaves in Africa, many captured by enemy tribes and became the property of Tribal Chieftains.

Kids should be taught:

Slavery was a part of world culture.

European whites didn't invent slavery.

Blacks in America also owned slaves.

The black man is as equally guilty for the sin of slavery as is the white man.

The largest slaveowner at one time was in the US was a black man.

34 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm advocating to teach reality. Not to hide our racist past. I'm not advocating to teach kids it's bad to be white. 

I get what you're response to that will be and I see the examples laid out in the official release, but the vague wording leads to a lot more than that. 

Who is hiding our racist past? How many movies about the struggles of blacks need be made? I was required to take black history in college. Affirmative action.

What purpose does harping about slavery or racism serve ?

how-are-we-getting-rid-of-racism-we-stop

52 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Ok.  So how do you feel the past has been inaccurately portrayed, that this directive will further that cause.

I just don't remember hearing that Africans actually bought tickets to get on the slave ships or that the underground railroad was a drug smuggling operation.  Maybe the Ohio school system has a different curriculum???

Regardless, that's not what this is about and i don't think your hypothetical/non-existant issue matters in the least.  Houghton-Mifflin is not under attack or being censored.