THE BROWNS BOARD

Yellowstone review

⁷Yellowstone
Paramount
3 Seasons      R
Hopefully the new normal doesn't stay that way for very long but it is what it is. The brick-and-mortar theaters are pretty much all open with varying degrees of arbitrary restrictions which, for me, haven’t really caused any problems as far as the enjoyment of motion pictures. The biggest problem is the fact that studios are producing less and less and the wave feature films. The good news is there’s a lot of good stuff streaming. It’s almost harder to discuss a series that goes on for two for 3 or even more years but I can give you a vague idea of the setup and how I’m liking it so far. Personally, whatever series you begin I think you should give it at least three or four shows before you decide whether or not to bail. I didn’t particularly love the first couple installments of the YELLOWSTONE but by the time episode 3 was finished I was hooked. This is a big beautiful sprawling modern day western saga that will remind you at times of an R-rated DALLAS or possibly a western version of THE GODFATHER or even a hard-edged BONANZA. The patriarch of the Yellowstone Ranch one of the largest in the West is a cantankerous widower John Dutton Oscar winner Costner) trying to keep the ranch out of the clutches of the modern age with its politicians and land developers, and dealing with 5 very different adult children. Kayce (Luke Grimes) who after having returned from Special Forces is reluctant to fully join the family ranch business to the great disappointment of his dad. He’s married an Indian girl and his son is one of the few bright spots in Grandpa’s life.
Jamie (Wes Bentley) was sent away to an Ivy League Law School but spends every day vainly fighting for his father’s approval. There is something terribly wrong between him and his sister the hard-living hard drinking and dangerously smart Beth (Kelly Reilly) which I assume will be explained as the series goes along.
There is Rip Wheeler (Cole Hauser) tough, mean and fiercely loyal, a troubled young man who was given a new lease on life on the Yellowstone Ranch.  
Chief Thomas Rainwater (Gil Birmingham) is the head of the tribe on the reservation he is sometimes Dutton's enemy and sometimes his ally. Of course, as the seasons progress there are plenty of other antagonists, duplicitous politicians and other sundry and assorted bad guys to keep the story rolling along. At times exhilarating at other times shockingly violent Yellowstone rolls through 3 Seasons like a team of wild horses. Just for the record season 4 is green-lighted and should be out soon. I refuse to read any spoilers though. And I haven’t really given any here.
By the way folk’s today’s shout-out is to the gang at the Kent Cinema an eclectic labyrinth of a theater located in the college town. Don’t trust Fandango’s information page though, you can call the theater to make sure of times and shows.
A
WSS

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I love Yellowstone. Good assessment, especially with the Godfather reference. I’m a sucker for pretty much anything Costner does and this one didn’t disappoint. I’m very much looking forward to season 4, but so far it’s been a show releasing in the summer so might be a few months.

I'll be posting my review of let him go pretty soon. Here's a preview, it bummed me out.

WSS