THE BROWNS BOARD

Kajillionaire review

Kajillionaire
Focus
R                   106 min

There’s an old saying that goes like this, “I don’t know much about art but I know what I like.” Conversely, I guess knowing what you don’t like works as well. Sometimes in the world of art music and cinema one finds oneself afraid to call something rubbish that the other richer and more influential people seem to think is wonderful. On the other hand, it could just be a matter of taste how a particular piece strikes you at a particular time. I’ve Loved some things that others have hated and vice versa. I won’t even make you wait till the end of the article to tell you that I hated Kajillionaire. As always, I refrain from looking at anyone else is review until I’ve made up my mind and found it even while I’m not completely alone I’m certainly in the minority with that opinion. Personally, as a general rule, I love con movies especially the ones with charismatic characters fighting against the odds and coming up with clever and innovative ways to take money from people trying to make a quick buck. Like WC Field says you can’t cheat an honest man.
Unfortunately, none of those elements exist in KAJILLIONAIRE. The family of grifters at the center of the film includes dad Robert (Richard Jenkins) basically a liar and a cheat whose cons are so mundane that you would imagine that a minimum wage job would be more rewarding, mom Theresa (Debra Winger) limping through the role like a shell-shocked hag and the sullen and unkempt daughter whose character name is actually Old Dolio. (Evan Rachel Wood) she’s been trained since birth to participate in Mom and Dad’s third-rate misdeeds. The plot itself is as incomprehensible has naming the Woods’ character and there’s not an ounce of charisma among them. As a matter of fact, none exists in this film until about halfway through with the addition of Miranda (Gina Rodriguez) who enters the film like a candle in a pitch-black basement. For some reason she will become intrigued with the odd lifestyle and join the trio. As the film drags on, she will become part friend, part sister, part mentor, even part lover to Old Dolio. Near the end the two of them will bond even though it’s hard to figure out why and even harder to care. As with many independent so-called art films cinematography and sound are clearly second rate but a great story and great acting can always overcome that. But not this time.
D
WSS