THE BROWNS BOARD

**** Official Raiders at Browns Gameday Thread

Zombo

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Who are these LBs that are supposed to come back and elevate our defense?   We've own'd exactly zero. We got nothing more, than what we paid for..A cheaper paid BJ Goodson version. To pay less than Schobert & or Blake Martinez.. Available also was Jon Bostic WFT & or AJ Klein Bills.. before Goodson was added..

Mack Wilson is still playing hurt..Jacob Phillips (hurt) plays fast, but that small frame won't last till he builds a nfl body frame.. LB Malcolm Smith seemed to play less than Mack Wilson for some reason today.Not many of the position rotations worked today. But, for maybe Ronnie Harrison? whom lead us in tackles playing Safety (never a good rushing game sign)  Trade for a starting banging LB, that knows how to take tackling angles & proper gaps to ball carrier.. I'd start with giving Vrabel a call in Tennessee..hell, he's coached more LB banger's than we've had since Sashi dumping of Demario Davis & Greg Roberson..  

I see Greedy and Delpit.   I know Delpit out for the year.  What about Greedy?  Greedy has proven his nfl worth.. his nfl body is weak too.. not willing to put in the offseason work nor nfl bulk,imho..next?  

Aside from he and Chubb, who can come off IR to help us?  IR ain't the best place to look, knowing their medical status.. I'm not saying O.Vernon did not play well today.Heck, he played better than most. but our bottom 7 roster feeders are not helping any team, no less us..And most teams have them.. Both Garrett & Vernon got rested today..DE's Trevon Young & Curtis Weaver... I'd like to get a look at them sitting on IR sometime this season..But, This fixes nothing between the tackles where we got drummed at all day..

Did anybody Watch the Steelers & Ravens LB'ers swarm to the ball carrier today? ? Than, Watch ours👀.. either wiff or just chop cleats in the same spot with a red target on their chest  that reads "Bulldoze me, than blow be over for 2 more yards" .. 

Nothing we all did not see coming pre-camp.. So, were on to the much needed Bye week.(me too).. At 5-3 we sit in the 7th & final AFC wildcard spot.. we should be the buyers/not the sellers this time...  let's see if GM/HC can separate 'team loyalty' between "player loyalty"... stay tuned 

Love your takes Gumby... The Browns d-line (minus Garrett) got seriously exposed.  Linebacking non-existent.  All the time giving up major YAC.  Tackle the guy will you?  

Though sure- we may be able to plug a few holes before the trade deadline- but there's just too damn many of them on defense to upgrade enough to compete with the Steelers and Ravens this year. 

My take is the Browns got too cocky- too early. They thought all they needed to do was show up to beat the Raiders- and forgot that was the same team that beat the Chiefs.  :(  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

ya Can't tell me, ObJ won't be missed in this offense nor in the room..This Offense played like they lost their top dawg... The defense is defense-less..  up your gut got exposed by OL 2's & it won't stop till we quit bringing in mid level choir boyz at LB.. it's Your move Andrew Berry.. (and Ronnie Harrison can't be your only Safety willing to fly to the ball on time) 

This team is fool’s gold, OBJ is best as a decoy, his double team leaves someone open. Although our inconsistent QB will miss the wide open TE as evident yesterday, or said TE will just plain drop the ball. Hubbard was constantly pushed around, Hollywood didn’t appear until 4:00 left in game. Now that Garrett appears to be injured I see 2 players left Harrison and Hunt. 

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, this is a great fucking post right now, whining about OBJ. 

go chug some mercury. 

its the fucking truth......and i did not start the obj posts...so go find those people.....jackass......and again, the obj project did not work...he was not brought here to be a fucking decoy.....he sucked....elite wr....oh yeah right....

1 hour ago, browns52 said:

its the fucking truth......and i did not start the obj posts...so go find those people.....jackass......and again, the obj project did not work...he was not brought here to be a fucking decoy.....he sucked....elite wr....oh yeah right....

No, he wasn't.  But I do know that we were scoring 30+ points per game with him....and 6 without him. 

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Defensively... I thought we had a good run D, but after today I have to wonder if it has only looked decent because teams choose to pass against us.

After further review...

Our Offense with its strong run game and air attack combo have dictated to most opponents that they have to pass to keep pace with us. However, Sunday, minus a ground option behind Hunt and facing gale force winds, the O simply could not apply that pressure.

A 2ndary factor, OBJ's absence, may have had an impact as well, but the winds made that impossible to ferret out... stay tuned. I will only say that Baker's new found freedom to spread the ball around to "the open guy" was not in evidence yesterday as 44% of Baker's passes targeted Landry.

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

After further review...

Our Offense with its strong run game and air attack combo have dictated to most opponents that they have to pass to keep pace with us. However, Sunday, minus a ground option behind Hunt and facing gale force winds, the O simply could not apply that pressure.

A 2ndary factor, OBJ's absence, may have had an impact as well, but the winds made that impossible to ferret out... stay tuned. I will only say that Baker's new found freedom to spread the ball around to "the open guy" was not in evidence yesterday as 44% of Baker's passes targeted Landry.

I feel the same way. Probably the game data will probably tell you that the Raiders' YAC and YPC improved as the game went on, because the time of possession difference was abysmal. They had a 9min drive on 3rd quarter??? Even if we had a decent defense they would have been gassed too.

Every game we depend on our offense staying on the field so the defense doesn't get exposed badly as on Sunday. I don't care if we're kicking 4-5 field goals every game. Stay on the field and keep the ball. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Baker's new found freedom to spread the ball around to "the open guy" was not in evidence yesterday as 44% of Baker's passes targeted Landry.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't by design.  So much for the 'chemistry' with Skid-Row Higgins.  I feel like the loss of OBJ causes everyone else to be facing a stronger defender than if he were on the field commanding #1 CB attention.

13 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm pretty sure that wasn't by design.  So much for the 'chemistry' with Skid-Row Higgins.  I feel like the loss of OBJ causes everyone else to be facing a stronger defender than if he were on the field commanding #1 CB attention.

I'm not so sure about the "design", O. I didn't see a lot of double coverage on Landry and when your presnap read is that your #1 WR, which Landry unquestionably is, is being single covered, then you tend to look at him first... by design.

Agree that OBJ's absence means every WR now sees better DBs... and every WR most often means both of them.

I'm thinking back to Stef's roster in MN where by most accounts he had 1a and 1b WRs in the persons of Diggs and Thielen. We may have had their match thru 6 games, but not now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nero said:

I feel the same way. Probably the game data will probably tell you that the Raiders' YAC and YPC improved as the game went on, because the time of possession difference was abysmal. They had a 9min drive on 3rd quarter??? Even if we had a decent defense they would have been gassed too.

Every game we depend on our offense staying on the field so the defense doesn't get exposed badly as on Sunday. I don't care if we're kicking 4-5 field goals every game. Stay on the field and keep the ball. 

What we saw was the John Gruden game plan to keep us on the field on Def more than we could them. It worked.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

What we saw was the John Gruden game plan to keep us on the field on Def more than we could them. It worked.

I had the same feeling. They preferred gaining 4-5 yards each play instead of getting big chunks of yards, so they could sustain long drives. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We've had a pretty stout Offense. Ball control to keep it away from us is not exactly a novel approach... plus not throwing in a 40 mph wind with sleet was a pretty good call.

But as the announcers noted... when the wind laid down, they threw.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

But as the announcers noted... when the wind laid down, they threw.

Harrison dropped the 2nd easiest pick-6 of his life and that's the kind of play we desperately need because we don't have the ability to force a punt. Then we didn't recover the fumble, and had the two drops....and that's a wrap. We essentially failed to make every single big play in the game. Lol. That's certainly a recipe for disaster, never mind the fact we can't EVER stop anybody on a 3rd or 4th down. 

Do you know how hard it is to not make ANY of the big plays? 😂😂