THE BROWNS BOARD

Learning how to win

Icecube

Even the best teams find themselves in a dogfight vs. losing teams, but the good teams just know how to win those. 

Have the Browns turned the corner? Have they learned how to win those games? You see the other good teams do it all the time. 

The Browns used to lose those games. Not so much lately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Learning to win is most definitely a thing... Hell, as a fan I'm always waiting for them to screw it up and lose, and I'm sure the players have a bit of that themselves, though not as much because it's always easier to actually be the one playing than the one watching.

The Browns have exceeded my pre-season expectations, and then some. 

• Upvote 3

Minus the Raider game and part of Texan game they’ve turned the corner in the sense they are no longer the team that is just looking for ways to lose.  I think lately we haven’t played the kind of stupid football that has plagued this franchise.  We just have some personnel that doesn’t belong in the league unfortunately it’s not spread out to a few depth pieces it’s contributors (looking at the LBs). 

We have some teams on the back end of this schedule that we have jump on earlier and choke out any confidence they may have or get during a game. 

• Upvote 1

Philly will be a great measuring stick to see where we are... Considering some holes that we have... We have a winning record thus far...  That to me is very encouraging... If Crow tastes like this (6-3) ... I'll take 2nd helpings....

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, nickers said:

That to me is very encouraging... If Crow tastes like this (6-3) ... I'll take 2nd helpings....

That 6-10 Thanksgiving Turkey 🦃 I cooked up is developing some kind of funky taste. Almost like my expectation JFF would be the Man..........................🤮

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

Even the best teams find themselves in a dogfight vs. losing teams, but the good teams just know how to win those. 

Have the Browns turned the corner? Have they learned how to win those games?

IMO, there's no 'learning how to win' in the NFL.  The NFL is the pinnacle of football.  You either know how to win or you don't by now.  (save a learning curve when arriving on the nfl scene)

If you're like we were...losing year in and year out....then you have people who don't know how to win.  Players, coaches, front office, and any combination of.

Let's take  coaching, Kevin Stefanski has not done one thing this year that I can point to and say, 'Boy, that was stupid.'  Whereas we've had a litany of idiocy as HC's  up to now.  (too many instances of stupidness to list here)

Andrew Berry, can't argue with what he's done so far.  At least he hasn't said, "I don't value WR's.  They don't handle the ball enough."

Players.  You have to have talented, and smart players who are up to the challenge.  Did ya notice what happened to the kicker we drafted?  He was great in college.  These coaches brought in 4 kickers for the last week of training camp.  The special teams coach later admitted that (what's his name?  the kicker we drafted and cut...) he didn't have it between the ears.  When it came to crunch time he mentally couldn't handle it...and that he wished him well and hoped that he go on to have a good football career.   You have to have good players who've known how to win since way back when they started playing as kids.

You have to have talent on the field, on the sidelines, and in the front office.  Not bafoons like we've had.  

2 hours ago, Orion said:

If you're like we were...losing year in and year out....then you have people who don't know how to win. 

A/K/A... people who never learned how to win?

It's a thing...

... and the playoffs are a different matter again.

8 hours ago, nickers said:

Philly will be a great measuring stick to see where we are... Considering some holes that we have... We have a winning record thus far...  That to me is very encouraging... If Crow tastes like this (6-3) ... I'll take 2nd helpings....

I mean, for real. 6-3? A HUGE improvement. My God. They got some glaring holes, but still good enough to be 6-3.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, D Bone said:

Learning to win is most definitely a thing... Hell, as a fan I'm always waiting for them to screw it up and lose, and I'm sure the players have a bit of that themselves, though not as much because it's always easier to actually be the one playing than the one watching.

The Browns have exceeded my pre-season expectations, and then some. 

This pretty much sums it up. I'm ALWAYS waiting for the other shoe to drop, and let me tell you, when I saw Peoples-Jones screw up that kickoff return and we started at the 2 yard line? Yeah, I was fairly certain the game was over for us. We just gave up a touchdown drive, we're up 3, and we're somehow at the damn 2 yard line. Game over. 

Game over, but in a GOOD way! We didn't panic. We didn't do anything stupid. We ran our offense, and we trusted our horses. I don't think Kareem Hunt is getting enough recognition for how hard he ran, especially at the end. That 2nd down run where he just kept going forward was pretty much the game. That gave us a 3rd and 1, which he picked up, and then Chubb came in a killed it. Poetry. 

I'm so sick of hearing people across the country dog Baker Mayfield. I think he's perfect for us. He doesn't get to play in a damn dome. He doesn't get OBJ anymore. His receivers screwed him out of a victory last week, but I hear nothing about that. That 3rd and 18 pass he had to Higgins WAS the game, and Higgins STILL almost dropped it. 

I love Baker, and I know he can get better and be our guy. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

This pretty much sums it up. I'm ALWAYS waiting for the other shoe to drop, and let me tell you, when I saw Peoples-Jones screw up that kickoff return and we started at the 2 yard line? Yeah, I was fairly certain the game was over for us. We just gave up a touchdown drive, we're up 3, and we're somehow at the damn 2 yard line. Game over. 

Game over, but in a GOOD way! We didn't panic. We didn't do anything stupid. We ran our offense, and we trusted our horses. I don't think Kareem Hunt is getting enough recognition for how hard he ran, especially at the end. That 2nd down run where he just kept going forward was pretty much the game. That gave us a 3rd and 1, which he picked up, and then Chubb came in a killed it. Poetry. 

I'm so sick of hearing people across the country dog Baker Mayfield. I think he's perfect for us. He doesn't get to play in a damn dome. He doesn't get OBJ anymore. His receivers screwed him out of a victory last week, but I hear nothing about that. That 3rd and 18 pass he had to Higgins WAS the game, and Higgins STILL almost dropped it. 

I love Baker, and I know he can get better and be our guy. 

There were guys who floundered for years... Steve Grogan , Gary Hogeboom, Brad Johnson and Jim Plunkett who turned to be pretty good QB's and thats kind of where Baker is right now... However... The one glaring negative I have to point out is.. Baker has elite pass catchers in OBJ (Injured) Landry, Hooper and Hunt... Anybody with some kind of talent and the running game we have , should really flourish... Even a Phil Simms type should do well with this talent... Baker has done ok... But I need to remain objective... I haven't quite seen Manning or Bradyesque type games from him but yes.. the 5 td game was special. it even took Brett Favre time to get unhinged..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nickers said:

There were guys who floundered for years... Steve Grogan , Gary Hogeboom, Brad Johnson and Jim Plunkett who turned to be pretty good QB's and thats kind of where Baker is right now... However... The one glaring negative I have to point out is.. Baker has elite pass catchers in OBJ (Injured) Landry, Hooper and Hunt... Anybody with some kind of talent and the running game we have , should really flourish... Even a Phil Simms type should do well with this talent... Baker has done ok... But I need to remain objective...

I hear you, I do. Give him the season, and try to think what happens when he plays in good weather, and also what he looks like after a year in the same system. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jiggins7919 said:

I hear you, I do. Give him the season, and try to think what happens when he plays in good weather, and also what he looks like after a year in the same system. 

I agree totally...I still think Baker is a great kid despite the guff he gets from fans and detractors alike... Guys like Colin whats his fuck Coward are just in it to sell and sensationalize a story and make a living on someones misery... While Baker has some mechanical issues he needs to iron out... He's doing pretty good considering hes on his 4th system in 3 years... And in a Pandemic year...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Gary Hogeboom

Someone woke up with a revived brain cell today... I'll see your Hogeboom and raise you a Clint Longley. Sorry 'bout the string bet. ;)

Although why Gary occurred to you escapes me and your two best examples, Johnson and Plunkett, found their success with 2nd teams.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ah, the difference of one little comma. My retired English teacher wife would be proud of you.🤗😜

Not too bad for only 12yrs of free education!

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Someone woke up with a revived brain cell today... I'll see your Hogeboom and raise you a Clint Longley. Sorry 'bout the string bet. ;)

Although why Gary occurred to you escapes me and your two best examples, Johnson and Plunkett, found their success with 2nd teams.

Clint Longley... Goes right next to Bert Jones possibly... Bert may have been miles better had his career continued... it's hard to say,,,

39 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Not too bad for only 12yrs of "free" education!

FIFY...

Someone paid for it... #payitforward... ;)

Edit: Wait! You skipped a grade? :)

Reminds me of a great Glen Beck quote IIRC... "I learned this stuff in a Library where the books are free."

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Not too bad for only 12yrs of free education!

She taught 11th so you get a "pass".

Plus if I wanted to be assured of not getting electrocuted trying to fix something electrical in my home😬, I know who to call.😁

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That 6-10 Thanksgiving Turkey 🦃 I cooked up is developing some kind of funky taste. Almost like my expectation JFF would be the Man..........................🤮

TexasAg1969

• Number Hangs in the Rafters
  •  
  • TexasAg1969
  • REGISTERED
  • 18,038 posts
  • Interests:Racquetball, football, reading, traveling and never-ending yard work.

I have followed Texas A&M football since Bear Bryant days in the 1950's. What you get with Johnny Manziel is not just a QB, you get the best all-around athlete who has ever played the game at A&M in over 50 years of watching them all. This kid throws so well running to his left because in high school he was a .400 + hitter as a shortstop who constantly put those left running throws to first on the money with authority. He's also a just over par golfer. And one other thing to consider, Mack Brown at UT was offering him a scholarship as a safety, not a QB. He was so confident in Mack Brown being wrong that he turned down his dream school to go to their rival and win the Heisman as he made himself the player he knew he could be. When this kid says he wants to be the best that ever played the game, he isn't boasting, he's setting a bar.

All I can say is I'm now a Brown's fan and this is going to be one of the best carnival rides any of you have ever experienced. It's been that way for the last two years of seeing him in person like nothing I have ever known in all my years of attending A&M games.

And here's one to look for in the draft next year-he's better than 2nd overall pick Luke Joeckel or 6th overall pick Jake Matthews. He started at RG when those two were the T's, then to RT when Jake went to LT and now switches to LT for his senior year. He's a faster, more athletic version of the other two. He'll be in the top 10-count on it.

🤣

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

And here's one to look for in the draft next year-he's better than 2nd overall pick Luke Joeckel or 6th overall pick Jake Matthews. He started at RG when those two were the T's, then to RT when Jake went to LT and now switches to LT for his senior year. He's a faster, more athletic version of the other two. He'll be in the top 10-count on it.

🤣

Who know he was faster on the drink & drug than he was on the field. 

I got the other two right (at least until Joeckel was injured early on). 

And I got Myles Garrett right, so I think we have a draw here.🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Pretty sure you're still way short... ;)

Got a late-round LB for you then. Opted out Junior LB Anthony Hines. He won't be highly ranked due to only 2 years, but he's a sleeper worth taking late.

Got three more if they come out early for 2022 including one hellofa TE. He catches, he's fast to get open and best of all for the Browns, he blocks.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

FIFY...

Someone paid for it... #payitforward... ;)

I live in California... I've paid it so far forward that people in the year 2341 will be thanking me. 

I must have because me no comprendo (I told you I live in California) 

Reminds me of a great Glen Beck quote IIRC... "I learned this stuff in a Library where the books are free."

Remember the panic when your book was overdue?  "Are my parents going to find out?!"

52 minutes ago, D Bone said:

I must have because me no comprendo (I told you I live in California) 

12 grades + kindergarten = ???