THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns vs Steelers on TV

dusty

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Knew it. See that little green spot for CBS early? Damn Bengals. At least its only a10 mile drive over to Bob's for Sunday Ticket.  

Should I jinx the Browns and have the champagne on ice?

When I saw the maps I thought of you. I always thought Dayton was Brown's country even though you are right next to Cinci. Kind of like Toledo is Brown's country even though a stones throw fron Detroit 

8 minutes ago, dusty said:

When I saw the maps I thought of you. I always thought Dayton was Brown's country even though you are right next to Cinci. Kind of like Toledo is Brown's country even though a stones throw fron Detroit 

Dayton is mostly Browns  country.  Unfortunately,  Mike Brown vigorously protects his home turf. Don't quote me on the exact distance (I think it's a 70 mile radius) where the Bengals HAVE to be shown.  Meaning WDTN here in Dayton HAS to give the Bengals priority. 

If you notice Columbus is outside of the  "death zone", and can show whichever game they choose. WLIO in Lima ditto, but they're dual FOX\NBC, no luck up there. Used to be we'd get lucky when Bengals games didn't sell out and were blacked out,  but that's no longer the case, as the blackout rule went away.  

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Dayton is mostly Browns  country.  Unfortunately,  Mike Brown vigorously protects his home turf. Don't quote me on the exact distance (I think it's a 70 mile radius) where the Bengals HAVE to be shown.  Meaning WDTN here in Dayton HAS to give the Bengals priority. 

If you notice Columbus is outside of the  "death zone", and can show whichever game they choose. WLIO in Lima ditto, but they're dual FOX\NBC, no luck up there. Used to be we'd get lucky when Bengals games didn't sell out and were blacked out,  but that's no longer the case, as the blackout rule went away.  

It used to be that  75 miles was the "blackout rule"  and similarly the area that a team could "protect"  from Encroachment by other teams....except for some exception:  

That was why Jack Kent Cooke resisted .....successfully  one of the 1995 expansion teams from locating in Baltimore....and why he successfully blocked the Rams from  moving there.  Baltimore was within "their" (the Redskins)  home broadcast area.    But Baltimore successfully resisted that tactic when it came time for Modell to get a new team.  The history of the Colts having been there assuaged that argument.

Some teams even claim a much larger territory than that.  Jerry Jones thinks he owns the entire Austin and San Antonio markets....even though it is about 200 miles from Dallas to Austin and  275 to San Antonio. 

And the Seahawks believe they own the Portland media market.  Denver believes it owns  Salt Lake.  And others. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe you should just move out of Bengal country!

Sunday Ticket may be expensive, but it's cheaper than moving.  :)  I didn't re-up ST this year because in August I had my doubts there was even going to be an NFL season worth mentioning. My good pal Bob has ST- so no problem. I lost the ability to immediately DVR the game, but NFLN has been rebroadcasting most of the games the following week.  

Regarding the "owning" and "claiming" part....  Yeah- Baltimore and Washington DC are only 40 or so miles apart, and TV coverage does overlap. But all the others? Outside of a probable fan base- a Salt Lake City TV station would be under no contractual obligation to show a Denver game, same with the other cities.  

You've probably noticed Oklahoma  often shows the Browns games (because of Baker) even though it's closer to Dallas than San Antonio. North Dakota does the same with the Eagles- because of Wentz. Other than the CBS\FOX thing San Antonio is closer to Houston than Dallas. So (though I can't say) the Alamo folks may probably follow whichever team is doing better.  :)  

4 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

1 for 16 this year.  We’ve had one game here on SD Fox or CBS.

Thank God I’ve streamed the past two seasons 

Looks like all of California gets the Browns Sunday.  Get those breakfast brewskis ready. :) 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Looks like all of California gets the Browns Sunday.  Get those breakfast brewskis ready. :) 

They are following us (local sports networks) San Diego likes an underdog. We have been a punching bag in the past to some local sports talking heads here- but we weren’t all that good of course.  I would just remind old charger fans- their history pales in comparisons to our history.  

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sunday Ticket may be expensive, but it's cheaper than moving.  :)  I didn't re-up ST this year because in August I had my doubts there was even going to be an NFL season worth mentioning. My good pal Bob has ST- so no problem. I lost the ability to immediately DVR the game, but NFLN has been rebroadcasting most of the games the following week.  

Regarding the "owning" and "claiming" part....  Yeah- Baltimore and Washington DC are only 40 or so miles apart, and TV coverage does overlap. But all the others? Outside of a probable fan base- a Salt Lake City TV station would be under no contractual obligation to show a Denver game, same with the other cities.  

You've probably noticed Oklahoma  often shows the Browns games (because of Baker) even though it's closer to Dallas than San Antonio. North Dakota does the same with the Eagles- because of Wentz. Other than the CBS\FOX thing San Antonio is closer to Houston than Dallas. So (though I can't say) the Alamo folks may probably follow whichever team is doing better.  :)  

My daughter who lives in San Antonio says it’s mostly cowboy country. Maybe 70-30 Cowboys 

• Thanks 1

Looks like Pittsburgh at Cleveland early  -and-  Green 💚 Bay at Chicago late Sunday.

Some interesting games on New Year's Day also.

GO BUCKEYES and BROWNS, keep thinking playoffs.....baby  !           :D

Screenshot_2020-12-30_225523.jpg

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Great... network games add another 2 seconds to my time delay.

On the plus side... I kinda liked Charles Davis' analysis last time he did our game.

I'm a big Charles Davis fan myself.... and no 2 play delay for me this week!