THE BROWNS BOARD

Meyer to JAX?

MLD Woody

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Of course not, but it likely was not until the Raiders that he was made an offer he could not refuse.... 10 years... essentially total control including selection of the "GM". I love Mayock, but he's a head scout with a title... and a fair amount of influence with his HC.

Gruden is smart enough to know his limitations. And Mayock is strong enough in self-belief to pound the table when he thinks Chuckie is off-base. I see it as one of those relationships where they can go at it hammer and tong all afternoon... and then go out for a drink.

I think you didn't fully get my point.

Like you alluded to, and that my point was pointing out to Gipper is that unless a GREAT opportunity (that would be perceived by that individual) is extended, there is no need to jump back in. 

For Urban, maybe that is NFL, maybe it comes with one of the top NCAA schools, but in my estimation, it wouldn't come from a BIG downgrade in college jobs.

Just having a want to get back in doesn't mean you jump at the 1st decent job, where you certainly wouldn't be afforded the same opportunity as your previous gig.

That's all I was pointing out.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, I mean these things can't be "proven" unless they interview, but it would seem awfully far fetched to believe that multiple jobs every year he is one of the names brought up.

Like I said, I don't think he would be the best hire, but the more likely scenario is that he in fact wants to stay where he is. Whether that is a good decision or not is debatable, but when you factor in its his Alma mater, none of us know what kind of control he would be offered in NFL, etc. 

As for Jimbo Fisher, I think you are looking at it too much on history and tradition. I'll say it like this, at worst it could be considered a SMALL step down (which doesn't factor in salary, etc). Florida, Texas, and California are the 3 highest producing states for prospects which is already a built in advantage, then you have the programs like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State that can get prospects based solely on success and exposure.

There is a HUGE difference in going from Florida State to Texas AM and Ohio State to Arizona. 

Just a rough estimate, but...

ACC: Florida State is probably 3rd in their conference as the destination (Clemson, Miami). Thst can change here and there between 2-5.

Big 10: That is obviously a no Brainerd

Big 12: Texas and Oklahoma 1-2 every year there, usually in thst order.

SEC: Texas AM probably 5, behind Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida 

Pac 12: USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Stanford all easily ahead. 

I'll put it simple, I will come on and gladly accept I was wrong if Urban became the coach at ANY school other than the following.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, USC.

That gives me 9 schools, you get the rest. Care to take those odds?

From B/ R....

Urban Meyer has been linked to the head coaching vacancy with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but he won't come cheap.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Meyer is seeking $12 million per year to come out of retirement and become the head coach of Jacksonville.

....... edit, if true that would be about just based on games as $750,000/game. Not a bad game check.

Edited by mjp28

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Like you alluded to, and that my point was pointing out to Gipper is that unless a GREAT opportunity (that would be perceived by that individual) is extended, there is no need to jump back in. 

All I would ask for is a media report stating that he is being contemplated for something...not that he even has to interview. 

For Urban, maybe that is NFL, maybe it comes with one of the top NCAA schools, but in my estimation, it wouldn't come from a BIG downgrade in college jobs.

Just having a want to get back in doesn't mean you jump at the 1st decent job, where you certainly wouldn't be afforded the same opportunity as your previous gig.

That's all I was pointing out.

And I don't disagree at all with any of that. 

Well, I mean these things can't be "proven" unless they interview, but it would seem awfully far fetched to believe that multiple jobs every year he is one of the names brought up.

Like I said, I don't think he would be the best hire, but the more likely scenario is that he in fact wants to stay where he is. Whether that is a good decision or not is debatable, but when you factor in its his Alma mater, none of us know what kind of control he would be offered in NFL, etc. 

As for Jimbo Fisher, I think you are looking at it too much on history and tradition. I'll say it like this, at worst it could be considered a SMALL step down (which doesn't factor in salary, etc). Florida, Texas, and California are the 3 highest producing states for prospects which is already a built in advantage, then you have the programs like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State that can get prospects based solely on success and exposure.

Well....what else do we have to look at besides history? (money?)   In this case I was looking at recent history.  In the last 20 years how many times had  FSU competed for a national title?  Likely....numerous.  A&M....has not competed for a National title since the 1950s as far as I can recall. 

There is a HUGE difference in going from Florida State to Texas AM and Ohio State to Arizona. 

Absolutely no argument. 

Just a rough estimate, but...

ACC: Florida State is probably 3rd in their conference as the destination (Clemson, Miami). Thst can change here and there between 2-5.

Clemson only made that jump in the last  5 years.  In the previous  25.....FSU clearly was predominant.  

Big 10: That is obviously a no Brainerd.   Oh, you betcha....but, wait..... Brainerd is in Minnesota.....home of Margie Gunderson....What are you saying here?  🤩

Big 12: Texas and Oklahoma 1-2 every year there, usually in thst order.

SEC: Texas AM probably 5, behind Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida 

Pac 12: USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Stanford all easily ahead. 

I'll put it simple, I will come on and gladly accept I was wrong if Urban became the coach at ANY school other than the following.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, USC.

That gives me 9 schools, you get the rest. Care to take those odds?

I don't think I was accusing you of being wrong about anything.   I only mentioned Arizona because  I thought it could be a "soft spot"  for a guy like Urban to land....as a sort of semi-retirement job. 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I certainly am not going to get into another back and forth with you, especially when a guy (Fisher), who would still be considered one of the Top coaches made that choice, so for whatever reason HE didn't see it as a step down???

But since you asked:

And I am not going back 20 years, and it certainly would be foolish to go back any further, and it certainly depends on what is considered competed for a championship, but:

2008: Utah, Texas Tech, Boise State all Top 10; no FSU OR TAM

2009: Cincinnati, Boise State, Georgia Tech Top 10; no FSU or TAM

2010: Arkansas, Boise State Top 10; TAM-17, FSU 23

2011: Arkansas, Boise State Top 10; no FSU or TAM

2012: TAM 9, FSU 12

2013: Florida State won title, TAM 21

1st 3 years of CFP, Florida State was ranked and TAM wasn't. Coincidently (sarcasm), that was with Fisher. Then in 4 years since, TAM twice in, FSU 0.

But, by your logic here, whether your intention or not, Boise State is a better job than either.

And I don't think you believe that. My point in showing that is that using one metric backs you into a corner when there are many variables. 

But just to answer your other question as to what else base it on; salary, existing roster, exposure, etc.

As far as the rest, you should know me well enough to know that I am not just pulling this Harbaugh stuff out of the air. It has been discussed A LOT (which would be a media report) every year. He obviously didn't take those jobs. But there are others who have been reported the same way and didn't take the job.

As far as the Urban stuff, I am not the one that brought up Arizona, you did. And you did that without any other thought about what could be seen as serious downfalls for why he would probably never do that. There is obviously nothing wrong with not thinking of those, but when they are pointed out, instead of just saying something like didn't think thst way, you dig in to further explain yourself. 

So ask yourself this, since Arizona was viewed that way in your mind; would you also think that way about: UCF, South Florida, San Jose State, Fresno State, etc? I picked those teams for a reason, good weather, all finished better than Arizona, and quite a few yearly finish better.

And it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, for someone who has certainly had his fair share of health issues to just jump back in to coaching for a "soft spot" where as pointed out multiple times, 1. He doesn't need to and 2. Would be at a competitive disadvantage to competing for titles. 

I just ask for you to actually think about it, why would Urban do that? What would be his motivation? And why, if that was the best option he had (with his obviously big status and track record) would he not just wait until a better option reached out?

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Again....not at all. I just think the shine is off that bauble. .   Show anywhere that he was being pursued for an NFL job the last couple of years.  Go ahead, prove me wrong. 

This literally comes up every off season. But you aren't going to get concrete "Harbaugh is being considered for ___" when he's still coaching somewhere else. That's not how this works...

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

This literally comes up every off season. But you aren't going to get concrete "Harbaugh is being considered for ___" when he's still coaching somewhere else. That's not how this works...

Except  there were all kinds of media speculations that he may go back to the NFL  earlier in his tenure at FMU.   That is all I asked....has there been any media speculation of that nature in the last couple of years?   So, I had to do your job for you.  See these:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/06/jim-harbaugh-eyes-a-potential-nfl-return/

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/michigan-wolverines-football-new-jim-harbaugh-to-nfl-rumors-surface#:~:text="Per multiple sources%2C Harbaugh is,second season with the team."

https://sportsnaut.com/jim-harbaugh-nfl/

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/jim-harbaugh-nfl-rumors-lead-to-colin-kaepernick-speculation

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/report-michigan-jim-harbaugh-five-nfl-teams-future

So...I was wrong...there HAS been media speculation just in December about him wanting to go back into the NFL. 

Of course, maybe he was just using the alleged interest in him, or in him wanting to go  as leverage for his new deal.

Has that been signed. 

18 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

I got it.

I was using it as a jumping off point.

I do that... a lot.

And not just with you. ;)

On 1/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, SdBacker80 said:

The “moral” high ground over OSU (most of time) is a stretch and is the only thing they can celebrate these days. They have been relegated to rooting for teams to beat OSU while losing to their in state rivals that they refer to as little brother. 

There is no other program in college football that pounds it’s chest better in September but then quietly retreats to a moral high ground in November. 

But they have cool uniforms and great players from Cleveland that still hang onto the past prestige of the program.

But but but they kind of won half of a national title a quarter century ago

On 1/3/2021 at 8:08 PM, The Gipper said:

Right,  both may have been true.  The tumor though, is a know fact.   The other, is still a rumor or speculation.....but it may have been true.  Of course ....Icecube has all his "inside information" on the OBJ situation may have been as accurate as this. 

Tumor? I heard he had an arachnoid cyst. I suppose cyst and tumor are somewhat interchangeable though, aren't they?