THE BROWNS BOARD

WandaVision

The first 3 episodes are up on Disney+ as of this writing and it stars 2 of the lesser known characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), Wanda (the Red Witch) and Vision (l think that’s his super name too). 

I saw a couple previews for it and it looked unusual and campy. Well after watching the first 3 episodes, it’s definitely both, but man is it funny. It is very very different from anything in the MCU, but it’s marvelously done, and the main characters pull off their roles exceedingly well. 

Imagine putting a couple super heroes trying to pull off regular life in the world of Leave it to Beaver or the Brady Bunch, and you get an idea on what to expect for the first few episodes. They also drop hints that it’s leading up to something that probably will eventually make it all make sense, but until then l have truly enjoyed this out of the box series so far.

It’s hard to say what fans of the MCU will think of it. I haven’t read any reviews yet. I am a fan and can genuinely say l got a real kick out of it with laugh out loud moments in each episode so far.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

The first 3 episodes are up on Disney+ as of this writing and it stars 2 of the lesser known characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), Wanda (the Red Witch) and Vision (l think that’s his super name too). 

I saw a couple previews for it and it looked unusual and campy. Well after watching the first 3 episodes, it’s definitely both, but man is it funny. It is very very different from anything in the MCU, but it’s marvelously done, and the main characters pull off their roles exceedingly well. 

Imagine putting a couple super heroes trying to pull off regular life in the world of Leave it to Beaver or the Brady Bunch, and you get an idea on what to expect for the first few episodes. They also drop hints that it’s leading up to something that probably will eventually make it all make sense, but until then l have truly enjoyed this out of the box series so far.

It’s hard to say what fans of the MCU will think of it. I haven’t read any reviews yet. I am a fan and can genuinely say l got a real kick out of it with laugh out loud moments in each episode so far.

Very apt description.  I have seen all 3 episodes  (they are only  1/2 hour long).   And yes, for the first two, they were in black and white and very "Donna Reed" "Father Knows Best"-ish, set in 50s style.   For the third one, for whatever reason, they instantaneously went to the late 60s/early 70s.  In color with fashion of that era.  Partridge Family/Brady Bunch-ish.  

The other subtext I get from it is that these two, Wanda and Vision, may actually be in some kind of  "The Prisoner"/Truman Show  setting where their world is manufactured by some unseen powerful source. At the end of each episode they have included some bizarre off world  cryptic intrusion from somewhere. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Very apt description.  I have seen all 3 episodes  (they are only  1/2 hour long).   And yes, for the first two, they were in black and white and very "Donna Reed" "Father Knows Best"-ish, set in 50s style.   For the third one, for whatever reason, they instantaneously went to the late 60s/early 70s.  In color with fashion of that era.  Partridge Family/Brady Bunch-ish.  

The other subtext I get from it is that these two, Wanda and Vision, may actually be in some kind of  "The Prisoner"/Truman Show  setting where their world is manufactured by some unseen powerful source. At the end of each episode they have included some bizarre off world  cryptic intrusion from somewhere. 

I think some of the touches they used were very intentional to sort of channel whatever time period of tv they were trying to spoof. In the first 2 episodes they show their bedroom set up with the 2 separated twin beds a la Ward and June Cleaver. And the staircase from the 3rd episode looks straight from the Brady house. I can’t help but wonder if subsequent episodes will spoof the 80s, like Family Ties or the Cosby Show or something.

And yes, they’re hinting that they’re stuck inside some sort of alternate reality. I’m sure by the end it will be wrapped up in a nice bow with something that makes sense to the larger MCU.

16 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think some of the touches they used were very intentional to sort of channel whatever time period of tv they were trying to spoof. In the first 2 episodes they show their bedroom set up with the 2 separated twin beds a la Ward and June Cleaver. And the staircase from the 3rd episode looks straight from the Brady house. I can’t help but wonder if subsequent episodes will spoof the 80s, like Family Ties or the Cosby Show or something.

And yes, they’re hinting that they’re stuck inside some sort of alternate reality. I’m sure by the end it will be wrapped up in a nice bow with something that makes sense to the larger MCU.

Once they get into the late 70s to the 80s I will unlikely be able to identify with what they are trying to do as, with few exceptions, I did not watch  sitcoms from that era (or since).  Other than The Big Bang Theory,  some of That 70s Show, and some Seinfeld I haven't watched sitcoms in like the last  40 years.  And I never watched the Brady Bunch so I don't know about the stairway.