THE BROWNS BOARD

Pittsburgh Issues

Browns149

This read... inspired me to watch us hang 28 points on them bitches in the 1st half.🤓.thanks!

good thing only yellow seats were allowed... cuz, the same would have happened bye halftime...

I thought Rudolph played rather well in the regular season finale. There were a couple passes where he wasn’t on the same page as his receiver, but aside from that he made some big time throws that game. 

I would guess they let Ben give it a go if he wants one more shot at it, and they’ll restructure or do whatever needs to happen to make that happen. But Rudolph may be their dude going forward after Ben hangs it up.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:53 AM, Icecube said:

Emmm, doesn't sound good. 

What doesn't sound good? lol

He is now on the record saying he doesn't care what he's paid next season.  I have no idea what they are going to do but AR2 said he can't be back on his current contract.  Im personally expecting a steep discount and guys we thought might be gone coming back.  John Clayton is also saying that because the cap didn't really go up he won't be surprised to see Dupree sign a very inexpensive deal (clayton said 6M) for one year to prove his knee is fine and then sign a bigger contract.  He's ahead of schedule and should be good to go for training camp.  There is literally nothing bad happening with the Steelers right now until proven otherwise. 

18 hours ago, nickers said:

BINGO!

Here is the difference nickers.  He signed a contract with the steelers for vet minimum with ZERO guarantees.  Soooooo you can't compare him to any of those guys. He's absolutely zero risk for the Steelers and anyone trying to paint it as a negative is being weird. 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Even if they cut Ben he still will count $23 million against the cap in dead money. 

I don't know what gipper said but ben isn't being paid what his contract states.  He's on record as is Art Rooney 2 that he cant come back on his current contract.  I expect him to take a substantial pay cut, especially because he's saying he wants juju back. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Ben is not going to make it slinging it 40+ times a game.

They need to fix their line and I don’t know how they do that given their constraints.

A good all purpose back would help. 

They need to nail the draft 

Are you guys paying attention to what is going on? A lot of this is out there on the national level.  He's taking a pay cut, how much of one is unknown.  Vance retiring immediately opened up over 5M and DeCastro and Heyward are supposedly going to restructure.  All of which has opened the door to speculation that the Steelers could be as much as 30M under the cap. If Harris is there at 24 he very well could be the pick or they go lineman and I assume at this point if Ben comes back he's going to convince Pouncey to not retire. The issues aren't as rampant with Ben saying "i don't care about what I'm paid" on the record as people are making it out to be at this point. 

39 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

He is now on the record saying he doesn't care what he's paid next season.  I have no idea what they are going to do but AR2 said he can't be back on his current contract.  Im personally expecting a steep discount and guys we thought might be gone coming back. 

Boy you must really be high.  See the thread on this matter.  Even if BR accepts the  23 mill minimum, that still leaves them 14 mill over.  You still have to cut a bunch.  

John Clayton is also saying that because the cap didn't really go up he won't be surprised to see Dupree sign a very inexpensive deal (clayton said 6M) for one year to prove his knee is fine and then sign a bigger contract. 

You and Clayton  must be on LSD.  Do you really think guys are going to go way way lowball just to stick with The Steelers?  This ain't the 70s. 

He's ahead of schedule and should be good to go for training camp.  There is literally nothing bad happening with the Steelers right now until proven otherwise. 

Right now....January 29, 2021?  No.  Wait till the new NFL year starts.   St. Patrick's Day may have a whole new meaning in Pisstown

43 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I don't know what gipper said but ben isn't being paid what his contract states.  He's on record as is Art Rooney 2 that he cant come back on his current contract.  I expect him to take a substantial pay cut, especially because he's saying he wants juju back. 

Maybe your sorry ass should catch up on things happening with your own team.   Even if he takes the max pay cut....over NFLPA objections....it is still not enough to sign  S-S.   With that, and even if Vance's 5 mill goes off, according to the news today they would still be  9 million over.    Where do you get that they could be 30 million under. 

Does anyone with a brain out there have any actual data? 

24 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

He is now on the record saying he doesn't care what he's paid next season. 

Sure, he doesn't. 

I have no idea what they are going to do but AR2 said he can't be back on his current contract.  Im personally expecting a steep discount and guys we thought might be gone coming back.

Hmmm, how steep? 

John Clayton is also saying that because the cap didn't really go up he won't be surprised to see Dupree sign a very inexpensive deal (clayton said 6M) for one year to prove his knee is fine and then sign a bigger contract. 

Pure speculation.

He's ahead of schedule and should be good to go for training camp.  There is literally nothing bad happening with the Steelers right now until proven otherwise.

Nothing bad? Being burdened with a washed up QB, TONS of players walking on a team that went 1-4 down the stretch before being BLOWN OUT at home in the 1st week of the playoffs? You could be looking at the basement of north, at best 3rd place. Tomlin is likely to have his 1st taste of a losing season.  

I have come up with a few things.   Here are just some blurbs:

With McDonald's retirement, the Steelers have a projected deficit of $24 million dollars should there be a $180 million dollar salary cap, per Spotrac. Wherever the final cap number rests, Pittsburgh will inevitably have work to do in order to be in compliance by the first league day of the year, March 17. 

------------------------

QB Ben Roethlisberger 

Cap Number: $41 million
Dead Money: $22.25 million
Potential Savings: $19 million

that $41 million cap number is the highest in the NFL, and quite frankly, it needs to come down a few notches. This can be accomplished by a simple contract extension, spreading Roethlisberger's money down the line a few years and potentially freeing up $14.3 million dollars for 2021. 

It appears as if there are two routes the Steelers will take when it comes to Roethlisberger. Should he retire, they will save $19 million dollars in cap space. Should he wish to return, an extension is crucial in allowing more financial freedom for the front office. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Given the severe lack of depth behind Joe Haden, a very small chance of signing meaningful players in free agency and the organization's lack of success drafting at the position, Haden likely sticks around as the team's best cornerback despite also being one of the oldest players on the team.

----------------------------------------------------------

More on their potential players they may have to cut:

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-report/pittsburgh-steelers-cap-casualty-options

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Here is the difference nickers.  He signed a contract with the steelers for vet minimum with ZERO guarantees.  Soooooo you can't compare him to any of those guys. He's absolutely zero risk for the Steelers and anyone trying to paint it as a negative is being weird. 

I get that... But he brings an awful lot of baggage... It has to be pretty hard for him to swallow the fact that he basically failed in his hometown (Was DC)... You can only hope he grows up and uses that as part of fueling his own personal motivation.. But myself... I wasn't real high on him as a potential pro... I feel the same way about Justin Fields... I just see things they do that causes me to think.. Huge mental gaff moments... Physically.. He's as talented as they come...

I chose to take my reading talents to "Browns"only topics this off-season😊

I hate the Steelers and have two t-shirts that say it. They will draft well, again. Hopefully the Browns will pass 'em in the standings.

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

So are we just making shit up now or what? Who has walked? Vance McDonald retired.  Who else you got? Look man you can either be like the group of mouth breathers that just spew or you can actually back up what you say.  You won 1 playoff game in how many years? Now you think you run the division? I don't think you or anyone else realize just how bad Randy Fichtner was as an OC.  Ben coming back is only a benefit as he can either mentor a new QB or give us the best chance to win some games next season.  No one knows what sort of money he is expecting but it won't be on the current sum of his contract.  Art Rooney has already stated that publicly.  I also already posted about how in theory there could be 30M in room with two restructures, vance retiring and ben taking less money and potential for even more depending on ben. I guess we are going to find.  Better hope the Steelers don't draft Harris. lol

1 hour ago, nickers said:

I get that... But he brings an awful lot of baggage... It has to be pretty hard for him to swallow the fact that he basically failed in his hometown (Was DC)... You can only hope he grows up and uses that as part of fueling his own personal motivation.. But myself... I wasn't real high on him as a potential pro... I feel the same way about Justin Fields... I just see things they do that causes me to think.. Huge mental gaff moments... Physically.. He's as talented as they come...

He's not being asked to be anything.  He's bottom of the depth chart with zero contract guarantees.  The Steelers are kicking the tires.  If he turns it around it's a tremendous value and if he doesn't he gets cut.  Here is something a lot of people don't realize.  If he comes out and plays well he's a RFA and if someone wants to sign him his tender is a first rounder based on draft position soooo in theory if the Steelers don't want to keep the guy but he's desirable he could net them a first for next to zero.  It's literally ZERO risk even with the baggage and the baggage is a lack of maturity, it's not a drug problem or a beating women problem. Pittsburgh aint exactly known for it's strip joints either. lol

6 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Better hope the Steelers don't draft Harris. lol

drafting Bama's RB Najee Harris would make complete sense.. while I keep seeing mocked lineman going to Pitt..

What position was Oh Canada holding on your staff last season?

You good with Keith Butler returning?

No Steeler bashing- just facts...  Joe Haden- (besides Ju-Ju deciding  if he wants to test the market) the the Steelers can't possibly afford.  Joe has a $15 million contract- that isn't close to the reality of what he's currently worth.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

So are we just making shit up now or what?

Hardly...Vagitron...aka the cunthole just can't face reality. 

Who has walked? Vance McDonald retired.  Who else you got?

Everybody  Wait until  March 17 when the bodies start falling.  

Look man you can either be like the group of mouth breathers that just spew or you can actually back up what you say.  You won 1 playoff game in how many years? Now you think you run the division?

No,  but we also know that the Steelers  certainly do not

I don't think you or anyone else realize just how bad Randy Fichtner was as an OC. 

There it is....thetypical excuse.  Its all on just one guy.  Right. 

Ben coming back is only a benefit as he can either mentor a new QB or give us the best chance to win some games next season. 

Operative term:   "some".  like  4-5 wins maybe

No one knows what sort of money he is expecting but it won't be on the current sum of his contract. 

Actually, we do know...it has been stated any number of times:  he has to drop to 23 mill

Art Rooney has already stated that publicly.  I also already posted about how in theory there could be 30M in room with two restructures, vance retiring and ben taking less money and potential for even more depending on ben.

Uhm...to get to 30 mill in cap space, most things I have seen/heard is that the Steelers  would have to dump BR.  Smith-Shuster, Conner, Dupree...and then some again.  Joe Haden included

I guess we are going to find.  Better hope the Steelers don't draft Harris. lol

Harris?   Najee Harris?    Good runner. Don't expect him to be a savior.   Would help.....but he is rated mid second round.    If you want to reach for him in round one...have at it. 

50 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

He's not being asked to be anything.  He's bottom of the depth chart with zero contract guarantees.  The Steelers are kicking the tires.  If he turns it around it's a tremendous value and if he doesn't he gets cut.  Here is something a lot of people don't realize.

About the one accurate thing you have said tonight......but FYI....everybody realizes it.   Its not like its some kind of state secret. 

If he comes out and plays well he's a RFA and if someone wants to sign him his tender is a first rounder based on draft position soooo in theory if the Steelers don't want to keep the guy but he's desirable he could net them a first for next to zero.  It's literally ZERO risk even with the baggage and the baggage is a lack of maturity, it's not a drug problem or a beating women problem. Pittsburgh aint exactly known for it's strip joints either. lol

Sure it is. They are very famous for their typical type of stripper:

Superbowl? That's football.. right? — South DaCola

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

I chose to take my reading talents to "Browns"only topics this off-season😊

I hate the Steelers and have two t-shirts that say it. They will draft well, again. Hopefully the Browns will pass 'em in the standings.

I hear you.   But here is the interesting thing:    It is the Steelers that have all the drama here in the offseason.  The Browns appear to be the well run, stable franchise comparatively. 

Plus, why not engage in a little Schadenfraude. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, hoorta said:

No Steeler bashing- just facts...  Joe Haden- (besides Ju-Ju deciding  if he wants to test the market) the the Steelers can't possibly afford.  Joe has a $15 million contract- that isn't close to the reality of what he's currently worth.  

If just stating the facts is "bashing", so be it.    

But  I do not believe my original post was at all any sort of "bashing".   It was just a recitation of the issues facing that team....you know, our traditional rival. 

11 hours ago, Vagitron said:

He's not being asked to be anything.  He's bottom of the depth chart with zero contract guarantees.  The Steelers are kicking the tires.  If he turns it around it's a tremendous value and if he doesn't he gets cut.  Here is something a lot of people don't realize.  If he comes out and plays well he's a RFA and if someone wants to sign him his tender is a first rounder based on draft position soooo in theory if the Steelers don't want to keep the guy but he's desirable he could net them a first for next to zero.  It's literally ZERO risk even with the baggage and the baggage is a lack of maturity, it's not a drug problem or a beating women problem. Pittsburgh aint exactly known for it's strip joints either. lol

And there's not a damn thing wrong with that... It's what good organizations do.. We kicked the tires and gave RG3 a chance... It didn't work out.. It was no strain..

15 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Are you guys paying attention to what is going on? A lot of this is out there on the national level.  He's taking a pay cut, how much of one is unknown.  Vance retiring immediately opened up over 5M and DeCastro and Heyward are supposedly going to restructure.  All of which has opened the door to speculation that the Steelers could be as much as 30M under the cap. If Harris is there at 24 he very well could be the pick or they go lineman and I assume at this point if Ben comes back he's going to convince Pouncey to not retire. The issues aren't as rampant with Ben saying "i don't care about what I'm paid" on the record as people are making it out to be at this point. 

If if if if if if....

The Steelers aren’t getting 30M under the cap.

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I hear you.   But here is the interesting thing:    It is the Steelers that have all the drama here in the offseason.  The Browns appear to be the well run, stable franchise comparatively. 

Plus, why not engage in a little Schadenfraude. 

Lol....well I have family in Pittsburgh (my sister married into it) and I'm sick & tired of hearing about how great they are/were. 

But yeah, I sure hope the tide is turning the Browns way. My hunch says yes indeed, let's see how it plays out. It's hard (for me anyway) to trash talk a team that's beat our ass for so long. I just hate and try to ignore them (and the Ratbirds).

2 hours ago, nickers said:

And there's not a damn thing wrong with that... It's what good organizations do.. We kicked the tires and gave RG3 a chance... It didn't work out.. It was no strain..

We have been "trying out" QBs for 20 years practically before we seem to have gotten it right. 

While Pittsburgh is in a deep salary cap hole, they apparently are not the worst team in that regard.  From Yahoo Sports:

The Saints are projected to be $112.2 million over the cap, the Eagles are set to be more than $53 million over the limit and the Steelers (-$34.9 million) and Falcons (-$36.2 million)........ are both in deeper holes than the Rams who  will be $31.16 million over the cap. 

Yet Vag thinks they will get to 30 million under the cap?  That means they have to dump  65 million.   BRs cut to 23 million only takes an  18 mill bite out of that.    That means they still need to drop  another 17 million to get to -0-  McDonald drops out  5 mill.  Where does 12 mill come from?  And where does the other 30 mill come from to get them that far under? 

One guy Vag touted to stay and help BR...or whomever the QB will be over there,  is out of the picture:   Pep Hamilton.....decided to take a job with the dysfunctional Texans rather than the Steelers.  Oh My.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pep-hamilton-now-texan-remaining-225600756.html

Don' feel bad Squib fans:   Hue Jackson is still available. 

• Haha 1